General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Got to Lose 100 lbs. - Starting Jan 1. - I bet I can lose faster :) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-01-17 2:19 PM
in reply to: #1873996

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: Got to Lose 100 lbs. - Starting Jan 1. - I bet I can lose faster :)

I am not knocking Weight Watchers, but can you find a way to change your eating habits?

I lost 55 pounds last year.  I did it by changing my eating habits.  I have kept the weight off for 5 months now.

I am sure Weight Watchers is good for losing weight but what are you going to do when you've lost that weight?  How will you keep it off?  Just something to think about.

I used Fitday.com to register my food intake and exercise.  You might be surprised out how many caloires you can consume and still lose weight.  Keep in mind calories are personal.  You can't provide a blanket statement for how many calories people should consume.

For me, I was around 2600 calories per day.  My exercise and daily living expenditure was around 4500 per day.  The cool thing about the experience for me was realizing how much a portion should be.

And as someone already pointed out, it is not just the calories you eat, but where they come from.  If the bulk of your caloires are carbs, you will find yourself hungry later.

If you can focus on lean proteins, fiber and the right kind of carbs, you'll be mor esuccessful at losing weight.

You can't beat triathlon training for weight loss.

2009-01-17 4:37 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: RE: Got to Lose 100 lbs. - Starting Jan 1. - I bet I can lose faster :)
It's really interesting to hear how bodies are different. I guess because I am female an output of 4500 for the day would be a huge order to fill. I only hit one day of over 4000 this week and that's with a good near 3 hours of moderate activity. Right now I'm trying to hit 2850 on a daily basis for my weight loss goals and to get there I'm having to put in an hour and a half or so in general.

Once I start getting out of base training and into a training program (hopefully for the half) I probably will be hitting over 4000, but I also plan to increase my food intake a small bit. Right now I'm doing 1600 calories which is enough for a hour workout but not likely a 3 hour bike ride.

I had a good week last week though... down 5 pounds, so only 70 more to go.

How is everyone else doing so far 2 weeks in?

2009-02-10 9:15 AM

User image

Regular
West Fargo
Checking in! Doing alright. Getting some good workouts in. Had a run of bronchitis, so that slowed me down a bit, but I'm back in action.....

Can anyone tell me why my weight is so different during different times of the day?
In the morning weight is 176 at night it's 173 (Sunday)
then Monday night it was 172, this morning it's 176????? Any ideas? 4 pounds seems like a big swing for daily variation?

I suppose I should have a start weight:
Jan 1 : 184
Feb 10: 176

Edited by sleeping_butterflies 2009-02-10 9:16 AM
2009-02-10 11:07 PM

User image

Regular
West Fargo
I am so pumped! I just got back from jogging 4.5 miles. For the first time in my life, I actually jogged the whole 4 miles! I've never been able to go for more than 1. I am so stoked! Woohoo!

I think today was a pretty full day. I had a kick boxing class today, and a strength yoga class. It's Tuesday, which means Women's volleyball league (we won five of six tonight and clinched first place! Woohoo!) I was feeling pretty good, drank some caffeine (which I usually don't but was concerned about the energy level for vball since I had the other two classes today) and had excess energy and thought I'd end the night with a quick run. I just couldn't believe I wasn't falling over exhausted. So I went for it, and stopped myself at the 4.5 mark. thought I'd better save something for tomorrow. We'll see. I probably won't be able to get out of bed......

anyway, I'm pretty stoked!
2009-02-18 12:05 PM

User image

Expert
Oakland, Fl

OK...I want to join in here.  I decided to start doing Tri's as a goal to lose weight (100lbs).  I have been overwieght since I was 8 yrs old.  I have a thyroid disease, but I am looking past that.  I changed my eating habits last year and did not see much difference. So, now I am throwing in the exercise, 6 days a week.  Right now, I am swimming 3/4 mile, 1 mile on the treadmill at 3.5mph and 3mi on the elliptical at 5.5mph.  I hope this works.  I am dedicated and my 1st tri is May 10th. (.5mi swim, 16 mi bike and 3.1 mi run)

On this past sun after a bike ride, I decided to stay out of the gym and run on the paved bike trail by my house.  I did 1.5 miles and now think I have shin splints.  Do you think I can still ride and do the elliptical without slowing the healing process?

2009-02-22 7:04 AM

Extreme Veteran
Western, Mass
Bronze member

As of yesterday, i am down 35 lbs.  I will assess my goal at 200lbs.  for now 188 is the mark.  I have been doing Medifast for 6 weeks and light to moderate exercise 5-6x per week.  when i reach 240, i am going to be gradually increasing my caloric intake to slow down the weight loss so as i near 200 lbs, the weekly loss will be close to 1lb/week.  My workout load will be increasing at the same time.

After i started, this program, my wife is on it, too, i was able to see over the first 2 weeks, the sheer volume of food I was eating, and it made me shudder.

kevin

2009-04-06 6:57 PM

User image

Regular
West Fargo
Ok, I see everyone is in the same place I am.....maybe. Stuck in one way or another. I think I'm on the tail end of a case of bronchitis, or just a rotten chest cold. Not to mention all the junk going on with the endless days of sandbagging for the flooding here. Seems I'm letting things get in the way for my training. So I've done the drastic. I've registered for the Fargo Marathon. I'm just going to do the half, but I've never run more than 3 miles before EVER in my life. Running is a weakness of mine, so I figured what better way to get over it??? So, I'm officially signed up and paid for and it's on MAY 9th!!! Holy 5 weeks from now! I've got 6 other people running it. So I have no excuses. None. And I don't want to make a fool of myself. So I've started the training. I'll pick up the tri training after this is over. Once I get to a place that I can run successfully, the other two events should be easier. So, here it is. A new begining for me. Hope to hear from the rest of you soon!

Today's weight: 177.5
Ran 4.5 miles

Hopefully this will get me on some sort of track. Wish me success. I don't want luck.....

Shannon~*
2009-04-07 5:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Land of Mickey-Orlando
Ohhh those weight loss goals...I have a love/hate relationship with them.

In 10 years, I have lost 212lbs. I was one of the original RNY gastric bypasses in the country. I am now down to losing the last 30 to 50 pounds by my Ironman in November.

I am battling compulsive overeating and, as most of the posts here, its just one meal, one workout at a time. If you look at the big picture, you will make yourself crazy. I use www.calorieking.com to track my food but the logs here are awesome!! WaterDawg, if you are doing Weight Watchers, use the online tools...they are fantastic!! By now..several months into your journey..I am sure you are aware of that.

By the way WaterDawg, the way I lost the second 100lbs was through working with a trainer that did the boot camp approach. I liked the concept so much, the trainer and I formed a boot camp company 7 years ago. We are now the oldest boot camp in Central Florida (www.bootcampflorida.com) so I think you got a great approach. Weight Watchers can definitely get you on the right track but make sure as you workouts increase that you consult with your Weight Watchers counselor.

Hang in there!! I didn't read back into the entire thread but I would love to watch your progress
2009-04-07 10:37 AM

User image

Regular
West Fargo
Ok, got in my 3 mile run today. Increased the pace a bit to see what I could handle. Not too bad, but the muscles are sore today. We'll see what happens tomorrow. The schedule calls for 4.5 mi
2009-04-08 5:25 PM

User image

Regular
West Fargo
Got in the 4.5 miles today. Was able to keep the quicker pace that I ran yesterday. That was encouraging. However, my legs were really tired today. I'm looking forward to the day off tomorrow, but I'll be driving to WI (a good 6 hour drive with 2 little kiddos) and hope my booty doesn't get too tired! I'm hoping to keep up the training while there. My schedule has me down for 8 miles on Saturday. I've never run more than 5, so I'm interested to see how it goes. Happy Easter everyone and talk to you next week!

Shannon~*
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Got to Lose 100 lbs. - Starting Jan 1. - I bet I can lose faster :) Rss Feed  

of 2