General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plantar Fasciitis-HELP!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-12-29 12:43 AM

User image

Regular
San Diego, CA
Subject: Plantar Fasciitis-HELP!!!

I've been diagnosed with Plantar Fasciitis.  The pain is sometimes very painful (a 9 on a 10 point scale) and I'm frustrated since it really inhibits my training and I know I could run better and faster if I didn't have the foot pain.  After my last race in early Nov., I stopped running to let my feet heal and started therapy in Dec.  I'm very pleased with my current therapist as they seem to really be addressing my problems.  They are currently working on flexibility and strength in addition to making sure I have good orthotics.  Last summer I bought a pair of SuperFeet which helped but things never really got better. I'm afraid the foot pain will not go away though.   I know I am not the only one who has experienced this pain.  Is this treatable to the point where I will not have any more pain?  Any suggestions?

2008-12-29 12:33 PM
in reply to: #1875203

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: Plantar Fasciitis-HELP!!!

[Ive been diagnosed with Plantar Fasciitis.  The pain is sometimes very painful (a 9 on a 10 point scale) and I'm frustrated since it really inhibits my training and I know I could run better and faster if I didn't have the foot pain.  After my last race in early Nov., I stopped running to let my feet heal and started therapy in Dec.  I'm very pleased with my current therapist as they seem to really be addressing my problems.  They are currently working on flexibility and strength in addition to making sure I have good orthotics.  Last summer I bought a pair of SuperFeet which helped but things never really got better. I'm afraid the foot pain will not go away though.   I know I am not the only one who has experienced this pain.  Is this treatable to the point where I will not have any more pain?  Any suggestions?

It's treatable, but it's one of those inflictions that generally takes a LONG LONG time to go away.

Are you wearing a night splint?  That can really help the pain issue.  I have also found that wearing a compression sock (from Walgreens) AND the night splint is even better.  The sock helps even after I somehow kick off the splint at night.  Makes the morning MUCH MUCH nicer.  Not a cure, but a way to reduce the pain at least!

Also, have you tried visiting an ART doc?

2008-12-29 10:31 PM
in reply to: #1875990

User image

Regular
Also, have you tried visiting an ART doc?
Are you referring to Active Release?
2008-12-29 10:55 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

I made my through PF last year and can now run pain free -

keys to my recovery

wearing a night splint (mentioned in a previous post)

stretching, stretching, stretching

ice baths -

and rest - which didn't mean total rest, but from October to the end of December 2007, I did not actually run, I used the elliptical and by December, the only thing I did was swim - I swam a lot!

good news is, I've built my way back to doing longer distances

good luck

2008-12-30 6:53 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

I had PF for a few months and tried a lot of things including the night splint, a cortisone shot, Graston/ART and rest.  All seemed to help until I started running and then BANG it was back.

Two things worked for me, 1) prolotherapy which increases inflammation to speed healing and strengthens the tendon over time and 2) finding the root cause of the problem through PT and working on the muscle imbalances that led to the poor form in the first place.

I am set to get my second prolotherapy injection next week.  The doctor recommended two to three treatments about a month apart, but I am significantly better today.  I do still tape my foot for running, but that is probably more precautionary than necessary.  One other thing, some people thing prolo hurts a lot.  I did not find that to be true.

2008-12-30 8:28 AM

Extreme Veteran
Custom orthotics.

2008-12-31 12:03 AM
in reply to: #1875990

User image

Regular
San Diego, CA
What is an ART doc?
2009-01-01 12:09 PM
in reply to: #1879124

User image

Veteran
, Washington

donzi8 - 2008-12-30 10:03 PM What is an ART doc?

Active Release Technique...usually done by specially  trained chiropractors, if I understand correctly.

www.activerelease.com 

2009-01-02 9:44 PM

User image

Ontario

I tried active release, orthotics, night splints and every other remedy suggested.  I spent loads of money on all kinds of therapies.  It didn't work. I couldn't walk for 9 weeks, nevermind run. 

Then my dumb little sister gave me a trigger point kit for Christmas, a bottle of cheleated calcium and magnesium, and a big waterbottle.  Three days after I started on two twenty minute therapy sessions a day, ( I do both the plantar fasciitis routine and the hip dysfunction routine because I think the origin is in my hip)  two times a day taking 500 mg of the vitimin combo and hydrating until my back teeth were floating, I ran.  I've had three runs since.  and I am still ok.  They're short and slow so far, but I am building my way back up. 

I am not saying this will work for you, but it worked for me.  I think everyone's formula for recovery on this one is a bit different.  You just have to keep trying until you stumble on what works...or call my dumb sister....ok, she may not be that dumb.  She does natropathy for a living.

Keep me posted on how you're doing.  I gotta go drink more water.

K

2009-01-03 10:52 AM

User image

Regular
Like the rest of us, I too had some issues with PF. I missed 2 marathons because of it!!

I did use the Stassburgh Sock in the beginning but my problem was at the medial outer aspect of the heel and the sock no longer worked.

I saw a PT and my progression of treatment went in this order: PT with ultrasound and stretching the calves, toe crunches; and then develped into standing calf raises in 3 positions- netural, heels in and heels out.

In the long run, I have to keep stretching everyday and doing my calf single calf raises and I do notice a difference if I do not keep up with my program. The calf raises help to strengthen the intrinsic muscles of the foot. I have added in yoga as well to help.

I was fortunate as I caught it very early.

It boils down to really listening to your body!!!

What works for one person may not work for anyone else. It sounds like you have a severe problem so expect it to heal very slowly and be patient.
2009-01-03 7:30 PM
in reply to: #1883643

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
katherinel - 2009-01-02 9:44 PM

Then my dumb little sister gave me a trigger point kit for Christmas, a bottle of cheleated calcium and magnesium, and a big waterbottle. 

Just curious...is the trigger point kit you received for xmas, the same one that is offered from this place?:

www.tptherapy.com

I've been looking at this one for awhile now, but the price tag always scares me off. Obviously, it seems to be helping you, so perhaps I need to just bite the bullet and buy it. If you hadn't gotten it as a gift, would you say that it's worth it enough to go ahead and spend the money on it?

2009-01-03 7:45 PM

New user

Austin Texas
I suffered w/PF for years until I asked a doc to send me to Phy therapy. My pain was directly in my arches. Not sure where your pain is located. The PT told me to stop treating it w/ice since the ice constricts muscles. He started using heat and deep.....I mean extremely deep massage (for lack of a better term). I went 3 times a week and felt relief after every session. I also did lots of stretching. The night splints only aggravated me but give it a try. I also almost never go bare footed. I had orthotics and weened myself off of them a few years ago. When I'm training for marathons they sometimes flair up so I use a golf ball for massages. Its cheap and it works!
2009-01-06 12:57 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Myers, FL
I had PF last year and I used a frozen water bottle rolled under the foot a couple times a day. I also would reccommed a sock called "strausburg sock" to wear at night. You can get it a running shop. This worked great for me. Also anti-inflammatories a couple time a day.
2009-01-06 5:38 PM

User image

Elite
Mesa, AZ
I had horrible PF in both feet earlier this year...

I SWEAR by a combination of Graston and KINESIO TAPE!!!

http://www.ashburnchiro.com/images/foot_kinesio.jpg

PS - Like the above poster I also was told to discontinue ice therapy, it was tightening everything up. I was doing the water bottle a few times a day!

Edited by sportyj 2009-01-06 5:40 PM
2009-01-06 8:55 PM
in reply to: #1890618

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
sportyj - 2009-01-06 5:38 PM

PS - Like the above poster I also was told to discontinue ice therapy, it was tightening everything up. I was doing the water bottle a few times a day!

My chiro did the Kinesio Taping for my PF a few times...and it actually did help.
2009-01-07 10:18 PM
in reply to: #1891058

User image

Elite
Mesa, AZ
nscrbug - 2009-01-06 7:55 PM

sportyj - 2009-01-06 5:38 PM

My chiro did the Kinesio Taping for my PF a few times...and it actually did help.

I buy my own on Ebay now and tape EVERYTHING that hurts...I think the stuff is magic!!!

2009-01-15 1:04 PM

Veteran
Is the gratson technique the same thing as rolling a golf ball under your feet?  Did you guys run through PF?
2009-01-17 7:32 PM

User image

Veteran
donzi8 - 2008-12-29 12:43 AM

I've been diagnosed with Plantar Fasciitis.  The pain is sometimes very painful (a 9 on a 10 point scale) and I'm frustrated since it really inhibits my training and I know I could run better and faster if I didn't have the foot pain.  After my last race in early Nov., I stopped running to let my feet heal and started therapy in Dec.  I'm very pleased with my current therapist as they seem to really be addressing my problems.  They are currently working on flexibility and strength in addition to making sure I have good orthotics.  Last summer I bought a pair of SuperFeet which helped but things never really got better. I'm afraid the foot pain will not go away though.   I know I am not the only one who has experienced this pain.  Is this treatable to the point where I will not have any more pain?  Any suggestions?

Had PF a few years back, could barely walk in the morning when I got out of bed.  My wife is a chiropractor and she did a deep, deep massage on my foot for 20 minutes.  The most painful thing I had ever been through and had to lay there taking it.  1 minute into it, I had sweat so much I soaked the sheets.  Anyways, it completely cured it!  Did some follow up stretches with a tennis ball, and that was it.  Not sure what "technique" she used, but the day after it was a little tender, but the next day I was feeling perfect.  

2009-01-18 10:18 PM
in reply to: #1883643

User image

Expert
Toronto

Did your sis get the TP kit online or at some local retailer. I'm in Toronto and I wouldn't mind picking up a kit as I'm suffering from PF as well.

I've been running for 3 years without a problem and my PF just started about two months ago and it's pretty bad now. I having to resort to limping at times. Argh!

2009-01-28 1:02 PM

Veteran
ditto on the night splint, nothing else worked, MOF, orthotics made it worse
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plantar Fasciitis-HELP!!! Rss Feed