General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How Many Teachers out there? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-03-12 8:26 PM
in reply to: #128252

Columbia, SC
Subject: RE: How Many Teachers out there?
I'm currently a lawyer representing inmates on death row. However, that will all change this fall when I change careers to become a public school teacher. Four months ago I decided that I wanted to work with kids before they were my clients and I am thrilled and scared at the prospect of teaching, since I've never done it before. I know it's going to be tough work, but I think it will be very rewarding.

2005-03-13 9:05 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
School librarian, here. Love it love it love it. Sure I work my butt off, sure I have grad school debt, sure I get abused by colleagues who think my job is to run study halls, sure the stereotypes of school librarians are horritocious, but seeing kids get fired up about reading and learning is way worth it....
2005-03-13 9:56 PM

User image

Expert
Montreal
I am a substitute teacher - usually for computer classes but sometimes for Math and English.

This year I have been really lucky - almost every single day this year at one of the best public english language high schools in Montreal. Last year I was not so fortunate - at one school the secretary gave me a run down of the felons (I am not exaggerating I do mean felons) who I had to "manage" for the day. One student had been transfered from another school after setting another student on fire! Apparently that wasn't enough to get him kicked out of the board because he has a right to an education.

Being a sub is sometimes hard but in general it is a lot easier than being a full time teacher. If I had it my way every parent who has a problem child in school should be required to substitute teach for 5 days in the same high school their child attends to give them a better understanding of what it is like to try and execute a lesson plan with 34 students in the classroom.

Politicos and parents alike pay alot of lip service to the value of teachers then fail to support them at almost every turn. I better stop now before I get worked up.
2005-03-14 7:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma
I guess this one is primarily directed to Teechur -

To take exeption means I must have put you on the defense. First, let me say...more power to you. You did indeed illustrate my point, that is, in order to enjoy teaching, you really have to give it your all. In order to reach the kids, interest them (and yourself) you MUST make dynamic lesson plans. I think my thread mentioned "differentiatied curriculm" or also referred to "layered". This is how you reach the different learning styles. The misunderstanding of learning styles leads to how kids "fail" by the measures we unfortunately place on them like cookie cutters.

Second, there is in fact a HUGE difference between teaching kids that want to be there and kids that don't. The population I was teaching had bigger fish to fry (unfortunately) then learning academics. They were ALL (as in each and every one) were coming in or out of lock-up or re-hab. I had a great rapport with them, and yes we often explored their music and mine (sometimes a cross over). They saw me as a good parent and a role model. They were willing to learn (some) from me. In the "normal" school environment kids find the role model at home where they understand that the limits are set, and they find a respect because the role model "knows better". My students' homelife and supposed role models did nothing but let them down, abuse them, and gave them a bum wrap. In response, these kids have no interest in respecting a "role model" or an authority figure. So, in contrast to the "normal" population that know it doesn't matter whether you like or dislike the teacher, you must do the work. These kids first (and most importantly) had to like you, then they will do you the "favor" of doing "your" work.

Thanks to the "no child left behind", we have to jam quite a bit of algebra and geometry down these kids throats that really did not learn the basics. Many of them have huge gaps in their knowledge from missing so much school. Now, in MA, kids cannot get a diploma or state funding for college unless they pass the MCAS. They will only get a certificate of attendance. This places far more pressure on us, the Math teachers to try to get it all in. This translates into far less flexibility, since what we need to do is teach the kids how to take a test.

I'm glad you found a way to make it work FOR YOU. Please do not take offense nor attack others that are in ENTIRELY different situations then yourself. I am also a single mother with two kids living in an expensive cost of living state. I can't share a car because well umm...I have no one to share the car with. I'm not in a two person income situation.

Lastly, my situation really is not yours, is it? I also am a painter, and my thread suggested that I don't want to be a medicore teacher. If i can't be a great one, there is no point. My energy can't be all spent on lesson plans. I have two kids (of my own) that far more important, I have my painting, and my training. The combination of not enough salary for too much work in order to enjoy my job was not worth it.

sincere regards to you....

2005-03-14 7:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane

I teach Legal Translation at two colleges here in Venezuela. I really wish I could dedicate more hours to teaching, but the pay--like many others have said--is not so great. It might even be proportionally worse here in my country (and throughout South America in general).

Each class is comprised of three academic hours. As a freelance translator, I make the equivalent of those 3 hours in approximately 20 minutes of translation/interpretation work. So, unfortunately, I have to keep my teaching at a minimum because, as much as I hate to admit it, it represents a financial loss for me.

Félix

2005-03-14 9:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oregon
Just had another thought,

I think it is strange that if we have 30 kids out for cross country the school district will hire an assistant coach. If there are 30 kids in a classroom, the teacher doesn't get any extra help.

Where are there priorities? I'm an assistant coach so I get the benefit, but my wife has 32 in her classroom and she loses out.

Randy

Edited by Blacktoe 2005-03-14 9:08 AM

2005-03-14 10:30 AM

User image

Kodiak, Alaska
I am a special education teacher. I am in my 10th year and I love it. My kids are GREAT, my families are sweet and I work with a great staff. I have a very nice insurance package and a very reasonable salary.

I have just made the choice to move from my lovely island home to Anchorage where I will have more opportunity to train with groups of like minded althetes...it involves, for me, a $16,000 paycut but I gain a master's swim club, a running club, and a biking club...Friday I had an interview and was offered a job teaching in Anch...I am sure that no matter what my kids will continue to be great, my families will be sweet and my staff will be great...teaching is a love no matter who respects you or how much a person gets paid (although, to be truthful, it's gonna be tight)...

Now I must go enjoy my spring break...oh, happy day!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How Many Teachers out there? Rss Feed  

of 2