General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How Many Teachers out there? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-03-10 11:22 PM

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community
Subject: How Many Teachers out there?
Sure we get a decent amount of free time to train and race (especially summer), but the HELL we have to go through!! I'm sitting here with my 5th graders, just grinning and bearing. They have been AWFUL today. Spring fever seems to be kicking in............. how's it going in your neck of the classroom??

2005-03-11 5:04 AM
in reply to: #128252

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: How Many Teachers out there?
Another teacher here. I teach high school, and yeah the off time is great but what you have to go thru to get there. I tell everyone "high school would be great if it weren't for the darn teenagers"
2005-03-11 8:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma
I taught math in high school. I'm (desparately) trying to change careers. Bottom line, I can't afford to teach. It doesn't cover the bills. I couldn't enjoy it, unless I went all out making lesson plans. I once told someone, the analogy in corporate life is having to make a new four different new presentations every day to a group of people who don't want to be in your meeting.

I taught an alternative population. Kids with high behavior, high emotional issues. I was wiped out by the time I got home, but then my day started all over again with my own kids, their school work, sports, squeezing in some training for me, and the household obligations, (which I have to admit goes to the wayside). I couldnt' find the energy to paint anymore. Sooo...I'm (hopefully) done with teaching until maybe sometime in the future.

Hang in there...June is almost here!!

2005-03-11 8:44 AM

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community
I hear ya! The ONLY reason I'm still teaching is because I got into the DoDDS program and it's actually a very rewarding gig (financially as well as the fact that the kids are pretty good). I've been in Korea nine years, the govt pays for us to go home every summer, great salary and retirement, and all rent and utils paid on a nice big house on a hill. It's not the ideal life, but for a teacher it's a decent enough one.

I could not afford to teach and live in the States (paying my own rent or mortgage on top of the general expense of everything else). I don't know what I'd be doing, but things were quite desperate before I landed this job. It really does suck how teachers are treated. No wonder all the good ones leave teaching the first chance they get.

Hang in there - I read your other post, too -- and wish you the best in finding the life you need and want!!
2005-03-11 9:13 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
I teach grade 11 and 12 chemistry and physics - great kids, small classes and I've loved pretty much every minute of the past four years. However, I do have to work every summer in order to help pay the bills as I just don't make enough to pay them otherwise...

Shane
2005-03-11 9:20 AM
in reply to: #128317

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
ok, now you have my attention.  After leaving my job (BTW today is exactly 3 years since then) I went back to school to get my degree and teaching certificate.  I'll student teach next fall and be looking for a job after that. 

I am especially interested in a DoD position, as I am prior service and miss the whole lifestyle.  My brother is serving in Turkey right now and I would love to teach in an American school on base, and not just in Turkey.

Can you point me in the right direction to go about looking into this?  Thanks in advance

Ellen

2005-03-11 10:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma
Shane, the population you are teaching are kids who WANT to learn and who OPT to take those classes. Both chemistry and physics are normally electives in high school. It is a whole different bees wax to teach honors. I would have loved to teach honors and/or AP kids. At least one or two classes. One year I asked if I could teach a class at the "regular" school. What happened was they must of thought "oh she teaches at the alternative, we'll give her these kids". So, I ended up with an academic level gang who were really only one shade less delinquent then the gang I had at the alternative. I enjoyed "my" gang for alot of reasons, but in terms of teaching it wasn't fulfilling. It was more, I would say 95% social work, 5% academics. Simply, I just didn't have my all to give. Perhaps if I was paid 3 times what I was making and had better health insurance, I would have felt more inspired to dig in.

2005-03-11 10:22 AM
in reply to: #128369

User image

Champion
Nikki,

I hear what you are saying...I teach in a Jr/Sr high and have absolutely no desire to teach anyone other than the students I see. The majority are bound for university, are interesting and engaging people and understand that a little hard work is required to reach their goals (and if they don't when they take their first class with me they definitely have it after the fourth )

I can't imagine how people go to work everyday teaching students who don't want to be there, have no desire to accomplish anything and have parents who support this outlook. If that was the case for me I'm sure I would be looking for another line of work...

And here in NS we do have a decent health plan so that helps too...

Shane
2005-03-11 10:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oregon
I'm a stay at home Dad who coaches track and cross country for a local high school. That can be quite the challenge also.

My wife is a 4th grade teacher. She has 32 kids in a classroom built for 25. It has not been an easy year. There use to be 4 forth grade teachers last year. One retired and the school district decided not to hire another teacher.

What is wrong with these people. No support. Test! Test! Test! with no time to teach. Parents don't care..... If it was my kid in that classroom...... The Gov. puts all these mandates on the schools with out proper support. Where is the discipline in the schools? With 32 kids in a classroom how can "no child be left behind". What a joke!

This is my opinion not my wifes. I feel much better.

Ps: Teachers should be respected like doctors. They have a tough and important job.

2005-03-11 10:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma
Shane,
I bet it is very fulfilling to work with engaging kids. I was always dreaming up fun, interesting ways of implementing my math lessons, but in the end....it was a waste. I could barely get the basics into these kids. Their lives were so terribly messed up that learning the pythagorean theorem just could not measure up to their state of survival. Most, if not all my students were either coming out of lock-up and/or rehab or going in. I had a pretty good rapport they soaked up like sponges my parenting role i maintained with them, but it was still none-the-less overall not a satisfying gig, especially for that money. In addition, I think the last straw was this treacherous, pathetic "no child left behind" push. Its underfunded and sadly approached. We are no longer teaching our kids how to learn, just teaching them how to take tests. We are trying to push kids to be what they are not. Not every kid is going to be an engineer, doctor or lawyer. If a kid has a plan to be a truck driver, then guess what? HE HAS A PLAN, and guess what else? WE NEED TRUCK DRIVERS!! Instead, we are pushing a body of medocrity by eliminating gifted programs, the arts, and alternative teaching methods (differentiated curriculm). Its always great to try to raise the levels, but our president is doing by threatening schools rather then enhancing them!!

But I digress....sorry.
2005-03-11 10:43 AM
in reply to: #128394

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Blacktoe - 2005-03-11 10:38 AM
Ps: Teachers should be respected like doctors. They have a tough and important job.

I'd say moreso than doctors...without teachers, there would be no doctors!

I totally agree, blacktoe. I'm not a teacher, I don't even have/want kids, but education is the single most important thing we as a society can provide for our kids and ourselves. Why we can't figure out how to really support teachers and encourage learning (as opposed to mandating to teachers and encouraging some uniform, test-taking-strategy crap) is just so beyond me. We need independant, thinking citizens, not some group of people who only know the best strategies for bubbling in the dots.

OK, soapbox off. I just wanted to chime in and say my hat is so off to all you teachers out there. Teacher burnout is huge, most people don't stay for more than a couple of years. You guys need and deserve a ton more support, and I wish I knew how to make it happen.

2005-03-11 12:43 PM

User image

Thank you, Thank you teachers.  My sister is a high school teacher, she is my idol.  I admire that she keeps the faith that something she does will impact a young adult. 

It is wrong that our country does not value our teachers and pay them what they deserve. 

I'd like to brag and share an article about my sister's high school staff.  As a result of unfunded mandates of No Child Left Behind, her school was at the brink of closing.  This year they have had to go beyond what I am sure they ever expected when they began their career.  I am so proud of her! 

http://www.nwrel.org/nwedu/10-01/anatomy/cloak/anatomy.pdf

Edited by zagagirl 2005-03-11 12:44 PM
2005-03-11 1:22 PM
in reply to: #128397

User image

Champion
Nikki,

It is rather fulfilling to work with the students that I have the privledge to work with. Like anyone, I sometimes get frustrated with the level of effort/committment that they put forth, however in comparision with other classes I am very fortunate. I had to teach a Grade 7 English Support group this year and that really reminded me of how lucky I am.

The theme in schools is definitely catering to the lowest common denominator - regardless of whether students want to learn or whether they are more interested in peddling drugs, everyone is in the same class and everyone must succeed. Our school system has all but removed honours classes in favour of inclusion. As well, with the constant eroding of societal values, discipline codes seem to becoming a thing of the past and everytime we require less of students, they are more than happy to live down to the new standard.

I was once in a meeting were we were told that if a student failed there was no other interpretation beyond the fact that the teacher failed to do their job.

I will be so glad when the pendulum swings in the other direction...

Shane
2005-03-11 3:39 PM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
HS Science Teacher!

I enjoy what I do and have a kick butt summer job (for a half fast triathlete).

My only complaint is collective bargaining negotiations. It would be nice if I could be free of the bonds the union constrains me with and still be able to live where I reside.
2005-03-11 3:46 PM

User image

Buttercup
Krakatoa - 2005-03-10 11:22 PM

Sure we get a decent amount of free time to train and race (especially summer), but the HELL we have to go through!! I'm sitting here with my 5th graders, just grinning and bearing. They have been AWFUL today. Spring fever seems to be kicking in............. how's it going in your neck of the classroom??

Can't you just lock them in a closet or somethin?
2005-03-11 4:51 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
I teach Elementary P.E. and love it..  I work out with the kids and have a great Tri training schedule.

2005-03-11 5:21 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

I spent a few short (looooong) months as a teachers assistant in a seventh grade ED classroom.  I'm also a mom of three.  Every day I'm grateful to the people who put up with my kids.  I could not do  your job.

Every last one of you has my utmost respect and undying gratitude. 

In my world you would be paid what you're worth....your weight in gold would be the starting point. 

2005-03-11 6:04 PM

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community
But that would only encourage obesity in teachers and, man, some of us are trying to lose the blubbage!!
2005-03-11 8:42 PM

Sycamore, IL
I love teaching. I teach middle school P.E. and Health. I am passionate about the subject because I
can talk to kids about fitness principals and conditioning. I knew when I went into teaching there
wasn't a lot of money in it, I didn't go into teaching to become a millionaire. That's what the stock
portfolio is for. In any case, I have a great group of students, supportative administration, and June,
July, and August.
2005-03-11 10:49 PM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY

I teach chess to elementary school aged kids.  I do it either as a before school club, lunch time enrichment, or after school club.  Most of the kids that sign up for those programs have an interest in chess, but some of them are a real handful.  I only have them for an hour a week, and I have a lot of admiration for the teachers that have to deal with them all day.

I also teach chess as a classroom activity that the school district has for all 2nd and 3rd graders.  That's a much bigger challenge then the elective programs.  I've got kids who barely speak English, have severe learning or behavior issues.  Some of the classes I teach are wonderful, and other classes, after the 40 minutes is up, I'm about ready to tear my hair out.  God bless those 2nd and 3rd grade teachers who deal with these children day in and day out.

Yes, I love my summers off.  Also because I do this part time I have time to ride my bike, go for a run, or head to the pool in between classes.

2005-03-12 10:51 AM

User image

Expert
New Mexico
I have a lot of respect for teachers.

I'm a DARE instructor teach to about 500 students a year. I love working with the kids, but somedays...the DARE officer was ready for a beer. I'm only in the classroom for a few hours a week and commend those of you who can be there 5 days a week, 9 months a year. I don't envy a lot of the politics or new requirements in the schools these days.

In working from the law enforcement side of things, I've seen where some of these children come from and I'm glad that I can at least be a positive role model.

2005-03-12 5:34 PM

Arizona
I'm a kindergarten teacher here in PHX. I love my job. This is my first year. I'm probably still naive about it all, but for now, it's awesome. These little guys are like sponges, and they love coming to school. BTW-I'm taking on my first tri this coming weekend, March 20. Any advice? I'm most nervous about drowning in the swim.

2005-03-12 7:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Hawkins
My husband has taught HS science for 26 years and I teach history at a community college (which is a required course, so most students don't want to be in my class). He totally agrees that inclusion is ruining education. he spends so much time working with behavior-challenged students, or "modified," who don't make a pretense of learning or wanting to learn. Worse, their parents aren't much better. He started teaching at this particular school this past fall, and it's the worst school he's ever seen. He believed--and now news reports confirm--that the county is practically the crystal meth capital of East Texas, so drugs lie at the bottom of a lot of the problem, too. The ONLY reason he continues (he could retire) is that he can't live on teacher retirement pay, and he likes to have his summers off.

• ..and the reason we don't pay teachers what they deserve? One word: taxes. EVERY time a proposal for a new tax to pay for schools is proposed, the voters (especially property owners) shoot it down. Most of the wealthy people send their kids to private schools and don't want to have higher taxes anyway. Many of the rest are retirees living on fixed income. No wonder kids (AND their parents) have no respect for teachers! Our pols pay lip service to children and education, but when it comes to putting money where their mouths are, they develop lip-lock. Oh, but if you have a bridge to nowhere you want to build (hello, Alaska!), or build a museum to honor the Packard automobile (hello, Ohio!), there's more than enough moolah. (It's every state--I'm not picking on those two.)

• ...and that's my soap box for today.
    2005-03-12 8:07 PM
    in reply to: #128369

User image

Extreme Veteran
    The Great Pacific Northwest

I'm a teacher too!

I take exception to a few things...

The good ones don't always leave. I'm a good one, if I do say so myself. I'm in my 11th year and I'm not going anywhere any time soon.

Financially...it could be better, but in a two-teacher household we learned to adjust our lifestyle. So we live in a small house, drive one car (which gives me an excuse to run home or ride my bike each day), and no credit cards.

Teaching electives is not necessarily easier. I've taught both. I teach IT classes and most of my kids want to be there, but I also teach Health and initially NONE of my kids want to be there. Now they love it because we keep things moving, have a lot of fun, I do create extremely elaborate lesson plans, and we learn LOTS of new and applicable things. The deal is, though, you have to go to them and bring them in to your subject. They're not going to love it just becuase you do, whether it's an elective or a required course. The way I look at it is this...if I'm bored my kids are MORE bored. If I'm disinterested, they're going to be even less interested. So I develop lesson plans that appeal to my ADHD, always going in 100 directions, always looking for something interesting personality.

Teaching isn't an easy job, but it's always worth it. Yesterday I was hanging out in the front of the room. Kids were in a meeting planning a school-wide Health Fair, I had some Ray Charles playing on the system and I thought, "Gosh I love this job. I still can't believe they pay me to do it."

Another teacher here who loves her job...even if it does mean she has to tri in a cheap ol' mountain bike and gear bought of Ebay.

2005-03-12 8:11 PM
    in reply to: #128682

User image

Extreme Veteran
    The Great Pacific Northwest

I teach Elementary P.E. and love it..  I work out with the kids and have a great Tri training schedule.

Woo! Now that is the BEST! Not only are you getting your workout in, but you're being a monster role model to the wee bairn!

It looks like I'm going to get to teach PE next year at a new school I'm moving to. The principal is totally open to doing a more lifestyle related kind of program and maybe even integrating Health and PE into one block class. I'm going to float training for an event to him. I'd like to do a triathlon, but we don't have a pool. However we could totally train for a 5k and learn about cross training, effective fueling, etc.

Edited by teechur 2005-03-12 8:20 PM
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How Many Teachers out there? Rss Feed  

of 2