General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Torn meniscus - can't run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-11 7:36 AM

User image

Subject: Torn meniscus - can't run
Well yesterday I learned that my little ski vacation left me with a likely torn medial meniscus in my left knee. My orthopedic doctor says that we should take a wait and see attitude - obviously it's not catastrophically torn. However, he says no running. I can swim and ride as much as I want or can stand. Unfortunately, my training over the winter has tended to emphasize running. I now need to shift gears. Anyone have any ideas about how to substitute the other disciplines for running? My big goal race is a 1/2 ironman in August (Timberman). I was also hoping to run a half marathon in May and do some sprint or olympic distances in june and july.
Thanks

2005-03-11 7:39 AM
in reply to: #128293

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Torn meniscus - can't run
Will the doc let you run in the pool? That's a good, non-impact running alternative.
2005-03-11 7:52 AM

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT

I'll echo bear's comments.  Ask the doc about pool running.  I used it for 3 months when I was training for a marathon, and it worked wonderfully

Chris

2005-03-11 8:04 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

I suffered the same thing 2 years ago (same cause too!).  I was marathon training and got to a point where I could only run 10 minutes (after getting up to 17 miles!

Pool running is a wonderful thing, however boring - you wear the AquaJogger thing around your waist and get in deep water.  AND Definitely bike....it strengthens the quads which is needed with a meniscus injury.

What is the plan?  When do you reevaluate? 

2005-03-11 8:59 AM

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community
This isn't tri-ending. Whether you'll need surgery or not won't matter in the long run. I would guess that a large percentage of the people you see out there on the course have tears in one or both meniscus (like me). I would recommend guzzling liquid glucosamine (Syn-flex = http://www.activexamerica.com). It has really helped my knees. The left is missing about a 1/4 of the meniscus (surgery) and the right has a nice tear in it (no surgery as yet), but the SynFlex has taken pain out of the equation.

Hope you have a quick recovery!!
2005-03-11 9:50 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
I agree with the above about the pool running. Use the aquajogger vest or some kind of floatation device and it will give you a great workout. I am currently rehabing two college students with mensical tears who are going the non-surgical route. Make sure you get some strength training in for the lower body, especially the quad. Make sure you stay flexible as well.

2005-03-11 10:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oregon
When I had a MRI done last summer because of a stress fracture in my femur, I found out I had a LARGE tear in my left knee meniscus. I was worried my running career was over. After several check ups, we decided not to do surgery because I had no pain and no swelling. I would have never known if it was not for my stress fracture.

From what I understand, about 20% of the meniscus can be removed without any negative affects. Basically, I think I am screwed no matter what I do since my tear is so large. I believe it was an old soccer injury from high school, 15 years ago. I can remember a incident during a game. If I leave it I may get arthritis, and if I have surgery I can get arthritis. For now I am leaving it until it bothers me. My doctor believes no pain, no swelling, then probably no damage.

I am training alot and have not had any problems yet.

Good luck,
Randy
2005-03-11 11:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma
What timing. I am seeing orthopeadic dr today. I did something to my knee and its either a sprain or tear i'm guessing. I have a 5 mile race this Sunday, and I need the doc to say...its A.O.K.

Miacopino, Any chance you can explain what your knee feels like? Describe the pain and when or when you don't feel it?
2005-03-11 11:08 AM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Aw that sucks. My husband had meniscus surgery and is now good as new, but it was a really rotten injury to have. Be nice to yourself while you recover.

Edited by CLLinIA 2005-03-11 11:09 AM
2005-03-11 2:33 PM
in reply to: #128409

User image

Hey Nikki,
I knew that I did something to my knee right away. I was telemark skiing and had come off a pitch onto a flat and lost my concentration long enough for my ski tips to cross. I started my next turn and bang - down I went. My knee twisted inward and I felt an immediate pain - not a terrible pai but enough to know that something happened. I continued skiing for two more runs.

As time passed my knee got stiffer. It began to hurt the most when I straighten my leg as opposed to when I bend the knee. It bothers me most at night and first thing in the morning. It's not a sharp or unbearable pain it's just enough to know its there. - rather annoying actually. Stairs are a little difficult. It is also tender to touch on the inside of my knee although there is no real swelling or bruising. It's also a pain after I've sat for a while and then stand up.

The pain centers on the inside middle portion of my left knee. It is a dull sort of pain not sharp or grating. I also notice that my knee makes some clicking noises if I move it quickly. The doctor also noticed this as he maipulated it during his exam.

I go back to my doc in three weeks for follow-up. If he believes that it has started to heal on its own I guess we just keep going. If he finds its not healing I think he plans an MRI and maybe arthroscopic surgery. Although i am a little unclear on these options because I intend to use the power of positive thinking to avoid any kind of surgery!

Good luck to you with your knee - I hope you can race!
Mike
2005-03-11 2:49 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Are you doing any PT in the meantime?  If not, work on those quads!  I'm glad you are going back in 3 weeks...good deal.

I had arthroscopic surgery - I was told I'd be running again in 4-6 weeks....so there is hope (although my surgery wound up being a bit more complicated - crutches for one MONTH - no running for SIX months!)

Good luck...keep us posted!

2005-03-11 2:53 PM
in reply to: #128598

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
My husband's meniscus was all torn up, the grinding and grating business, all that. He went straight for the arthroscopic surgery, healed really well, you can hardly see the scars.
2005-03-17 9:32 PM
in reply to: #128601

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Miacopino, I am not a Dr but you might have tendonitis as it sounds JUST like me (not sure if you can have a tear and tendonitis). I have been fighting patellar tendonitis for over 8 months now. I have been to PT for 5-6 weeks and have seen 3 Ortho Surgeons....they all say the same thing. They have me doing a lot of strength training for my legs twice a day, ice, etc...

I feel a little better but have not really swam, biked, or run in months. Please be careful.

Tony

Edited by tribesman 2005-03-17 9:33 PM
2005-03-17 10:11 PM
in reply to: #131250

User image

Thanks Tony. It sounds like you have been through a real ordeal. However, a chronic repetetive motion injury like pattella tendonitis is unlikely in my case because I can pinpoint the trauma that caused the injury. I actually knew that I had injured my knee when I fell.

I'll tell you though it has been challenging since it happened. Any time I sit or stand still for any more than 20 minutes my knee aches when I then start tomove it. I have contimued to ride and swim but I am down to every other day for this week at least. Surprisingly the knee does not hurt at all during my work outs - but afterwards I can feel it.

I hope that you heal up quickly and get back on track soon. Good luck.

Mike
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Torn meniscus - can't run Rss Feed