General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Not sure where to start! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-11 1:22 PM

Vail, CO
Subject: Not sure where to start!
I want to do a sprint triathlon in June or July. It would be my first. Not sure where to start training or what program. My weakness is definately running! hate it hate it hate it hate it. I am in ok shape. Been doing some cardio and basic weight training. Could stand to lose 10lbs. I'm a strong (out of shape) swimmer and mountain bike. Actually, would love a swim/bike only race! But, Not sure to follow the couch to 5k plan etc. Need advice. I need a structured program, otherwise I'll ignore the running side of it.

Also, I don't want to invest in a road bike at this point. Does using a mountain bike make that leg much harder??

Thanks for any feedback.

2005-03-11 1:30 PM
in reply to: #128538

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Subject: RE: Not sure where to start!
I would look at the beginner training plans on the site and try to find which fits you and your schedule best. If running is your weakestI would tend to focus on that so that I became stronger and more comfortable with that leg of the triathlon. Remember that it is okay to walk if you need to. You can most definitely use a mountain bike in a triathlon, I've seen many people do it. Your first triathlon should be all about fun (well they all should be) so don't worry about times and what everyone else has. Try it, and if you like it, then go from there on what equipment to upgrade to. USAT is actually starting an Aquabike series which is swim/bike only so you might check that out. Also, there are Xterra triathlons that are offroad; therefore, you would fit right in with the mountain bike.
2005-03-11 1:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eagleville,

Tracey ,

Welcome to BT.  You might want to look for Ron's Couch to Sprint Plan.  He has a 16 week and a 20 version of it here on the site here. I am working the Olympic one somewhat modified by my Team in Training coach to run in the Philadelphia Triathlon on June 26th.  As to the bike, I have heard many here that for the first year used their mountain bike, a 15 year old 10 speed, or what ever they might have been able to find.  The most important thing is to make sure that the fit of the bike is right for you.  I wish you luck, and keep posting, as many here can give you better answers then me.

Dirk

2005-03-11 1:58 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO

traceyco66 - 2005-03-11 11:22 AM  Also, I don't want to invest in a road bike at this point. Does using a mountain bike make that leg much harder?? Thanks for any feedback.

Start with the couch-to-sprint plan, if it's too easy, you can always add on, or grab a different plan.

Many of us have done one or more sprint tris with MTBs - the gears are much different and you'll be able to go uphill a little faster generally.  However, the weight of the bike, and the lack of aerodynamics (stock) will probably keep you off the winner's podium.  Do a tri or two, and then decide if you like the sport enough to want a different bike.

2005-03-11 2:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Cypress, Tx
Not sure where to start???

Begun you have.

Up off your butt you rose and it will never be the same.

Just go!

Just remember....Triathlon is 4 major diciplines.

SWIM
BIKE
RUN
REST

2005-03-12 12:40 AM
in reply to: #128540

Vail, CO
Thanks for the info on the Xterra. Their Redwood series in CA looks so great. I would love an off road tri. I live in the Mtns and mtn bike off road and have even done some trail running. Cant' beat the scenery!!

OK, starting on Monday. hmmm, now where are my goggles......

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Not sure where to start! Rss Feed