General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hi from Michigan Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-12 8:24 PM

User image

Expert
WA
Subject: Hi from Michigan
Hello all,

I just joined this site and I think it's great! I have done one tri before but I am still totally a newbie. I was the 2nd to last finisher on the one that I did! Haha, but I finished, and now I want to get better, hopefully this site can help. Anyone else from Ann Arbor? I see there are some other Michiganders around here, but I'm not from the state and don't know where most of the other towns are relative to me.

Hooray for fitness!
Lisa

2005-03-12 10:16 PM
in reply to: #129012

User image

Regular
East Lansing, MI
Subject: RE: Hi from Michigan
Lisa

welcome. congrats on completing your first tri and wanting to go for another. There are a number of us in Michigan, and one (maybe two) from Ann Arbor. There are a number of us within an hour, hour and a half of there.

what distance was your first tri? which races are you looking at for this season. A bunch of us are doing the Seahorse in Kalamazoo. Consider joining us.

2005-03-13 9:04 AM

User image

Regular
Dearborn, MI

Hello Lisa!

I live in Dearborn, but Ann Arbor is soooo close!! Welcome to the site. I haven't done a tri yet, but I'm training for one in Hawaii...

Have fun w/ the site! Lots of great people here!!

2005-03-13 9:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Singapore

Hi Lisa,

welcome to BT I THINK I'm the only one from AA so far...but I'm not sure...lots of lurkers on this board I was one for some time too!

Are you in school or working?

In any case, there's lots of people doing Tri-s in AA, you'll be surprised.  I've ALWAYS bumped into triathletes in the pool and on the roads.  Ann Arbor Triathlon (sprint distance) is held in june and is EXTREMELY popular, you might want to consider doing that since its just outside our door

And Dana is right, alot of the Michigan gang are doing Seahorse Triathlon. Its in Kalamazoo, which is about 2hrs away.  I might be doing that too. Its in early June as well

laterz

C

2005-03-13 11:06 AM
in reply to: #129122

User image

Expert
WA
Thanks for the welcome guys. I'm answer your question Charles, I'm here for graduate school. The unfortunate thing about that I'm getting shipped out for an internship in Portland this summer since my advisor has run out of money to pay me! So I'll have to pass on the local tri's. But I'm hoping to do a few out in the Seattle/Portland area. Oh, and Dana my one last year was a sprint in North Carolina (that's where my bf lives).

My big question to you guys is - do you ride your bikes outside in the winter? It's been sitting in my basement since November or so...and exercise bikes never seem to do the trick for me, so what do you guys do?

Lisa
2005-03-13 12:16 PM
in reply to: #129143

User image

Extreme Veteran
Singapore

I see. 

Biking outdoors will LIKELY be feasible in April (crossing fingers) or you can get all the winter armour and ride outside...you need to layer a bunch thats all.

Alternatively,  most of us get an indoor trainer and ride our bikes on it.  It can get boring for most folks but it allows you to get in a very structured workout of sustained intensity.

And yes, the bikes at the CCRB and NCRB at quite a pain in the butt...

2005-03-13 6:35 PM

User image

Regular
East Lansing, MI
trainer for me. I can't say that I love it, but with ice on the roads there is no way I am heading out on them. I have also heard that when it is cold you have to worry about putting too much strain on your knees if you bike outside. Not sure about the total accuracy of that statement, but thought I would pass it on.
2005-03-14 10:21 AM

Dearborn, MI
Welcome to the board and congrats on your first tri. I am from Dearborn and will be doing the AA tri. Hope to see you at some of the group training events.

Chris
2005-03-14 10:57 AM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI

Another Wolverine?  ACK!  I'm a MSU alum

Too bad about this summer , as the Michigan Mafia is going to be KICKIN' IT all season!

If I wasn't marathon training I would've taken the bike OUTSIDE for a ride the past few days...  I suspect (HOPE) the weather is about to break.   Really, though, it all depends on how much *coldness* you can tolerate. 

I was in NC a few weeks back.... Myrtle Beach Half Marathon.  Great weather!

2005-03-14 12:00 PM

New user
Mobile Al. / Fredericksburg Va
Welcome to the family and congratulation on finishing your first tri. Good luck with the training and all upcoming tri's
2005-03-15 10:10 AM

User image

Regular
Austin, Texas
Hello, Lisa.

You're not such a newbie, because you've done one more triathlon than I have. I'm hoping to tri one this summer, sometime after my first marathon in May. Too bad you can't be around to join the cheering throngs.

I'm in Grand Rapids , a long 2-hour drive north and west from Ann Arbor.

This Michigan crowd is a fun one. Put us all in a Big Boy during a breakfast buffet and you'll understand. Welcome to the show.

Matt

2005-03-15 11:29 AM

Regular
Canton, MI
I'm in Canton, only about fifteen minutes away from you. I was hoping to make the last group run, but a bad back kept me at home. Maybe I'll see you out at one of the runs. Good luck!
2005-03-15 1:30 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Welcome, and Oh, man, Lisa, most of the MI Mafia heavyweights have weighed in. Good bunch of people, we guarantee fun training and racing. 

I'm 55 min NW of AA, in Rochester Hills.  Right near Pontiac if you're looking at the map...and there are probably 20 of us (all counted) within an hour and a half of you in some direction.  Sometimes we'll get together weekends for a run, and there are bunch of planned races this year where two or more will be showin' up.

Bummer about the Portland excursion.  But that's another great thing about BT...there are WA and OR people on the site.  In WA, I think Harmony is there, and in OR, the esteemend Lara_SD rules the roost.  Both good folks prepping for OLY tris.  And if you're ever in NC, fitphd and HookedonTri are both solid BT citizens.  You might run across these folks and they can help with local tri-type info. 

And riding in the winter?  NOT OUTSIDE.  I spin at a fitness club, and sometimes on my trainer in my living room.  April is the beginning of outside season for everyone that's not a nut case

Again, welcome to the site, see ya round. 

Rick

Edited by rkreuser 2005-03-15 1:32 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hi from Michigan Rss Feed