General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Talk to me about volunteering at an IM event Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-09 10:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Arden Hills, MN
Subject: Talk to me about volunteering at an IM event
The wife and I are planning to volunteer at IM Wisconsin in 09 and I'd love to hear from past volunteers (or others in the know) on how it all works.

I've been out to the IM site and they provide some info, but it's mostly high level stuff. Specifically I'm wondering...

- How much control do you have over where you volunteer (swim, bike, run, etc)? I don't really care so much where they put me, just curious...

- Can you volunteer for specific timeframes or do have to be available all weekend and they slot you when they need you?

Any other tidbits that folks can offer would be great.

Thanks!

2009-01-09 10:57 AM
in reply to: #1897465

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: Talk to me about volunteering at an IM event
There will be (at least for IMOO) a website to sign up, you can sign up for shifts and locations. Some duties require more people than others. You can sign up for multiple shifts and duties. There will be drop down menus to sign up.
2009-01-09 1:18 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
An interesting thing to note about IM volunteering is that you can do several different jobs throughout the day so you get lots of fun experiences.

Are you planning on doing an IM yourself? If so I'd recommend volunteering for the Changing Tent job (work the afternoon shift - bike to run). It's a really excellent opportunity to really interact with the racers and it's a great way to see what others are packing into their transition bags. I got lots of great ideas for my IM races by volunteering there.

Have fun!
2009-01-09 1:48 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
I volunteered at IMWI in 2008 in the Women's changing tent for T2. It was an amazing experience! Be prepared for a wide variety of emotions... some were elated to be off the bike, while others were bawling, trying to decide weather or not to continue. I imagine there is high emotion at all stages of this race.

As for signing up - yes you are able to pick a specific shift (like 2:30-6:30 p.m.) in a specific area of interest (like changing tent, or even a specific intersection on the bike course). Once you register online a volunteer team captain will contact you with the specifics, ask your t-shirt size, etc.

If you can't make the volunteer meeting the night before (I couldn't), you just have to pick up your t-shirt and wristband the day-of, and arrive at your location early to get instructions.

Yay for volunteering!!
2009-01-09 3:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Arden Hills, MN
Thanks much for the info - the bike to run transition is exactly what I was considering. And yes, the plan is to volunteer this year and then register for the 2010 race (gulp).

2009-01-09 3:37 PM
in reply to: #1898317

User image

Veteran
Knoxville

DB - 2009-01-09 4:09 PM Thanks much for the info - the bike to run transition is exactly what I was considering. And yes, the plan is to volunteer this year and then register for the 2010 race (gulp).

Nice! I did the same thing for IMFL. (Volunteered for 08, signed up for '09). I worked the swim to bike transition bags. It was complete chaos. It was a blast.

2009-01-09 5:45 PM

User image

Champion
MA

My husband and I volunteered at IMFL this year and had 2 different jobs...worked at swim at eye glass table and water station and at the finish line as catchers.

Afterwards my husband said he didn't ever want to go on another vacation other than going to an IM it is that amazing. 

You get to be up close to the athletes, help them, encourage them and help them have a their best day ever. It is a great way to give back to the sport as well as learn about how the race works so you will be better prepared when you do it.

It is extremely rewarding and fun...sign up for multiple jobs if you can.

2009-01-09 6:18 PM

User image

Master
Ohio
2009-01-09 8:05 PM

New user

Hey, I'll have to look into the IMCDA.  Might as well make myself useful.
2009-01-09 8:42 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

Was thinking about volunteering for IMKY myself this year, so thanks to the OP for bringing this up.  David, that post was awesome.  It was very informative and the details were just right.

Lora (IMKY 2011)

2009-01-09 8:52 PM

User image

Spokane
By all means, volunteer!!  I worked at IMCDA last summer and it was just a blast!  Signed up on the race website and was able to request where I worked, did body marking and then mens T1 (swim to bike) change tent.  The athletes really appreciate the help and every one I worked with was very gracious and thankful.  My 1st reason was so I could enter this year but if I wasn't, I'd volunteer again in a second.

2009-01-09 8:59 PM

User image

Master

Voluntering at an IM event is amazing. I also volunteered at IMFL this year. Not only do you get to interact with the athletes you also get to see how things work.

I had one of the worst jobs ever at IMFL- Sunscreen applicator to Male athletes. They had to twist my arm to make me apply sunscreen to all of those buff, fit male bodies! NOT!
I worked in the afternoon in the women's changing tent. It is a honor to be able to help the athletes on such an important day. 

Then if that isn't enough you get to meet and party will all of the BT athletes and volunteers before and at the event. I wish we lived closer to more IM events.

2009-01-09 9:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Channahon,Illinois
I volunteered the day after doing The Great Illini Half Ironman in Central Illinois. I drove home,dropped off the wife and bike,slept a few hours and drove to Madison for IMOO. I volunteered from 6:30 AM  till Midnight. I worked the bike course(OK), the water stop on the run at miles 2 and 11(tons of fun),the medical tent until 9PM and the finish line until midnight. The med tent was a sea of emotion. At first it was pretty depressing as most people coming in were athletes who were hurt mostly from a bike fall. As the night went on the emotion shifted to elation as most finished and were on cloud nine. The athletes were amazing and in their states of confusion,exhaustion and dehydration still managed to say thanks for volunteering.AMAZING!!.The finish line was equally rewarding seeing the MOP'ers and BOP'ers coming in. The joy and pain on their faces is something I'll never forget. The electricity at the finish line was incredible. My best experience was seeing a 50 ish man shivering after getting his medal watching the line for a half hour without leaving the chute. I asked him what he was doing and he said he was waiting for his wife. I asked him if he knew where she was. he said she should be coming soon, I gave hime a chair, got him some food,and asked if he would like to give his wife her medal when she crossed. His eyes lit up and she was so surprised to see herhusband waiting at the line with her medal in hand. They were both crying with joy. That day was simply amazing and I almost feel guilty about the athletes thanking me. I should be thanking them. After midnight I crashed until 7 in my jeep and signed up for 09. Now the real fun begins.
2009-01-10 10:47 AM

New user

I worked the finish chute @ IM FL this year. My original intent was to go as a spectator with my wife - we both wanted to see an IM-distance event up-close-and-personal. She knew if we went I'd bite; register for the next year's event. As it turned out she had to go on a biz trip, so I decided to volunteer - my buddy said it would give us first crack @ registration.

Since I was scheduled to work 6-9pm, I had more spare time than you can imagine. Great opportunity to watch the swim start, the first pros come out of the water/T1. After sitting through most of the swim, I had the time to grab a bite/coffee, relax, come back to T2 in time to watch the first pros come in. Very, very cool! I went early in the afternoon to see if the finish crew needed an extra hand...which they did...so I got to work the 3-6pm shift instead. Saw the top finishers/women's winner come in...wow...thatey look worse than the photos in the tri-geek mags show them.

The most mind-blowing thing had to be seeing the look of fatigue/pain/elation/accomplishment on each finisher's face as we handed them their medal, shirt, hat and watched them be walked to the end of the chute. A friend of mine missed his goal of going under ten hours at AZ, but managed to get it in FL...in the presence of two of his local compadres.

If I had any doubts about registering for IM FL 09, they were probably in that brief, five-minute period immediately after I paid the entry fee on Sunday morning...otherwise I'm stoked and slowly getting my collective act together.

After describing the experience, several of my best friends are going to do the same thing - volunteer, get the bug, and pay the $ for the next years' event.

2009-01-10 7:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis, MO

My wife and I volly'ed for IMKY this past year.....we had a blast....as a previous IMKY finisher it was cool to get behind the ropes in a non-competitive fashion....

We both plan to be in Wisco volunteering this year so I can sign up for 2010...I'll also be racing at IMKY this Aug......so those of you that said you are going to be there...give a shout!

BTW, there is NO better way to get a sense of what IM is all about and the emotions and struggles on race day than to be a volly!

Cheers!
Paul

2009-01-22 10:03 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
I volunteered at IM Moo 2008 and then signed up for 2009 and volunteering for this race was amazing.  You really have no idea until you get in there and work with these athletes as to what it really feels like.  It helped make my decision.  I ended up taking over 100 pictures that I now have posted up for motivation.  I did sun tan lotion for two hours, finishers medals and tee shirts for 2 hours and then I finish  line caught from 8pm to 12pm.  That was the most amazing place in the world to be watching the first pro come in to the last woman who made it across the line with 4 seconds to spare.  If you want an experience you will never forget, do it.

2009-01-23 3:09 PM
in reply to: #1924098

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

crea0029 - 2009-01-22 10:03 PM I

...to the last woman who made it across the line with 4 seconds to spare.  If you want an experience you will never forget, do it.

That was truly an amazing moment. I was screaming for her, praying for her, crying my eyes out in front of complete strangers. It was like the crowd and Mike Reiley literally pushed her feet and carried her to the finish line. I've never seen a crowd so ... electric. It was magical.

2009-01-23 3:29 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

I had my mother-in-law volunteer at the medical tent at LP last year since she was in town while I was racing.  She had a blast and after I finished I waled over to let her know so she could be "relieved" and she was like, "I can't leave, look at all of my patients!"  She had a row of about 8 she was looking over.  I smiled, gave her a hug and hobbled back to get my bike.

I'll be volunteering at LP this year to sign up for '10.  But I have still not signed up for doing it yet.  I think I want to be a catcher or work in the bike area .......

2009-01-24 8:57 AM
in reply to: #1925786

User image

Extreme Veteran
lisac957 - 2009-01-23 3:09 PM

crea0029 - 2009-01-22 10:03 PM I

...to the last woman who made it across the line with 4 seconds to spare.  If you want an experience you will never forget, do it.

That was truly an amazing moment. I was screaming for her, praying for her, crying my eyes out in front of complete strangers. It was like the crowd and Mike Reiley literally pushed her feet and carried her to the finish line. I've never seen a crowd so ... electric. It was magical.

This just gave me goose bumps!

2009-01-24 9:27 AM

User image

Master
Elm Grove
Volunteering was amazing.  It is what pushed me over the edge to actually signing up.  When I first started I said I would never do IM.  Then I volunteered and now I will be doing IMWI this year.  I look forward to seeing you out there.
2009-01-25 1:45 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
I'm so excited to hear there are so many BTers doing IM Moo 2009.  It will be very great to meet all these people I talk to all the time.  We need someway to designate who we are so I can meet people!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Talk to me about volunteering at an IM event Rss Feed