Other Resources My Cup of Joe » BSG - SPOILER ALERT! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-17 1:11 AM

Subject: BSG - SPOILER ALERT!

Ellen Tigh?  WTF?

So what do you think the deal with Starbuck is?

Edited by dave699 2009-01-17 1:12 AM

2009-01-17 9:18 AM
in reply to: #1913532

User image

Mountain View, CA
Subject: RE: BSG - SPOILER ALERT!
I have a theory that Ellen Tigh is actually a Six, and that something happened to make her age. They seemed to me to be suggesting this in some of the scenes between Caprica Six and (Saul) Tigh in the first half of this season, that would leave the fifth slot open for Starbuck. But it's just a theory, and I wouldn't put it past Ron Moore et al. to have something wacky going on for Starbuck.

Also: Dualla? WTF? I know they hadn't done much (anything) with her character in a while, so she's more or less expendable at this point... did they do that just to get the actress off the hook to do other things?
2009-01-17 9:44 AM

That would jibe with the Tigh/Six interrogation/vision episodes.
2009-01-17 10:07 AM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
That was a total mindfrak of an episode.

I loved the scene of Adama walking down the passageway. Really showed how depressed everyone had become.

I can't wait to see where they take things from here. It will be interesting to say the least.
2009-01-17 11:16 AM

User image

Delaware, OH

I think that Ellen is the prototype for a 'Six' since the Final 5 are in reality the First Five.

I think that Starbuck and Baltar are in a catagory of their own.  Both are following a pre set path towards the end.

Duella was dead the moment she married Apollo.  It just took a season to kill her.

2009-01-17 11:21 AM
in reply to: #1913778

k_watzek - 2009-01-17 9:16 AM

I think that Ellen is the prototype for a 'Six' since the Final 5 are in reality the First Five.

They DO have the same M.O.

2009-01-17 1:04 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

I love the deconstruction of this!

Dumpster dragged me into BSG kicking and screaming... and now I can't get enough. We have watched all of the back seasons. We did it like homework, before LAST season started. 

I was surprised it was Ellen. Sort of a let down. That's why I think you guys are right... there is going to be some sort of a weird twist and Ellen is going to be a six. That's genius. And it would totally explain that whole flashback thing Tigh had while interrogating Six in the prison. 

So very very interesting. 

Carry on.... 

2009-01-17 1:32 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

Indeed, they did say the final cylon of the 'five' would be revealed.  But, there are two ( at least ) possibilities with Kara and Ellen.

There does seem to be some 'pairing' going on with the final five too.  Ellen and Saul.  Then you have the odd triangle ( square? ) involving Tyrol, Tory, and Anders ( not quite clear on the "song" that was played, and who it was played for ).  Of course, there is also a strong bond between Kara and Anders ( similar to Ellen / Saul?  Fated for each other? ).

Perhaps Kara is a 6th type, not one of the 5, but something else.  Obviously there's something not yet understood going on around her.  I think Leoban knows more than he's saying.  He backed up pretty quick when they found the raptor wreckage, and clammed up about what the hybrid told Kara meant.

I'm on the edge of my seat until next Friday's installment. 

2009-01-17 3:54 PM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
The 13th tribe being Cylons is a pretty clever way of tying things back together without having to through the deus ex machina contortions I thought they would.

Here's my theory on it all:

There weren't only twelve Cylon models, which is clear from Tyrol's vision of his 'death'. However, there were only twelve models that survived the nuclear holocaust on Earth. Of those, only 5 remain unique. Those 5 have always existed only one at a time. At some point, the other 7 were copied while the 'original' was still around.

When the copies are created, they are always grown to the point of adulthood and then animated, for lack of a better term. Something about this process, however, prevented the copies from aging.

The final 5, however, were pretty much 'born' and grew and aged like humans. When they died, they were replaced. (Not sure about that last sentence, there could be something else going on there)

Helen was/is NOT one of the final 5. She was just the last of the 12 to be copied, which is why the aging original was still around. As others have posited, the sixes are copies of her. This explains Saul's vision of six morphing into Helen during the interrogations. The only problem with this theory is that you would think that Saul and Helen herself would have noticed that the sixes look EXACTLY like she did 20 or 30 years ago.

Starbuck is the final Cylon. Not only is there room for her in my theory, I can't see any other possible explanation for her discovery of what appears to be her Viper and her body on Earth despite the fact that she's very much alive.

Balthar doesn't have anything to do with the Clyons, really. He's just a narcissistic egomaniac who hasn't changed a bit despite his delusion that he's found God. Finding forgiveness and letting go of guilt because you believe God forgives your mistakes and shortcomings is one thing. Gaius believes God made him specifically so that he would make the choices that slaughtered millions. With his new found faith, he doesn't even believe he did anything wrong, merely that he carried out God's will.

ETA: Oh, and I agree that some pairing seems to be going on. Anders/Tory, Saul/Helen. Let's not forget the original pairing of Tyrol/Sharon before she got switched on. Plus there's the ongoing events between Kara/Leoben. Carvil and D'Anna always seemed chummy. That just leaves Doral and Simon and there's been evidence that Cylons aren't averse to same-sex attraction.

Edited by dgunthert 2009-01-17 3:59 PM
2009-01-17 4:02 PM

How would this tie in with the "young" Bill Adama finding the Cylon scientific lab/"skinjob" creation facility in the flashbacks?  In that episode (web only, maybe), "Husker" discovered the place where the toasters were busily trying to make a "human" Cylon - and that was only a few decades ago.

Maybe the Earth tribe of Cylons were the only ones with the technology, and the other Cylons were trying to catch up, but... millenia later?  Doesn't jibe.

2009-01-17 4:06 PM
in reply to: #1914038

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Hmmm...never saw it.

At that point, it may have been that Cylons of the twelve colonies didn't know about the 'old' Cylons.

Or, that adds the possibility that the 'final 5' were the original 5 and the other 7 were reverse engineered from them. They couldn't get it quite right, which is why the new ones don't age.

2009-01-17 5:02 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-01-17 5:47 PM

So who nuked who on Earth, anyway?

Also, very coincidental that Starbuck just happened to crash land right next to where three of the Cylons were "killed" back in the day. Almost like it's fiction.

2009-01-17 10:01 PM
in reply to: #1914124

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
AcesFull - 2009-01-17 6:02 PM

Wait... Does this mean that I'm a Cylon?

Not necessarily.  The cylons could have taken over from humans (i.e. us) and essentially won the same war that launched BSG at the start of the series.  Only we did not make it at all. After all, they are basing the assessment of a few skeletons found from the holocaust at the end. Come to think of it, maybe WE launched that final strike as a last ditch effort, and maybe even left to found the 12 colonies since the earth was now a radioactive wasteland?

I think maybe Ellen is the key - she seemed to have it all figured out in her "dying words" about "all the preparations are ready".  And that would explain why last season (I think it was last season), when one of the skin jobs saw who it was, she was in awe and apologetic.

And am I mistaken, or was the Centurion they found from the original series?  If so, nice homage!

2009-01-17 10:15 PM
in reply to: #1914503

gearboy - 2009-01-17 8:01 PM

And am I mistaken, or was the Centurion they found from the original series?  If so, nice homage!

Yes... kinda.  In the "Razor" movie, they talked about how the old-skool Cylon Centurion "Guardians" were used to defend the original hybrid.  Eh... explained better here.

2009-01-23 7:43 PM

Delaware, OH
Ok- only 1.5 more hours until the next ep!

2009-01-23 10:41 PM

Delaware, OH

Either I was very drunk or the ep was very blah tonight.

I do remember yelling "throw Gaeta in the brig already!"  several times tho.

Your thoughts?

2009-01-24 8:51 PM

Expert
Wylie, TX
Gaeta has a habit of picking the wrong side to be on.  Never p!ss off Adama.

Edited by tikicult 2009-01-24 8:52 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » BSG - SPOILER ALERT! Rss Feed