Other Resources My Cup of Joe » 19 yr old Broke Michael Johnson’s world 400-metre record Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-14 2:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Belize
Subject: 19 yr old Broke Michael Johnson’s world 400-metre record
Trinidad and Tobago-born Kerron Clement broke Michael Johnson’s world 400-metre record at the NCAA Indoor track and field championships in the United States Saturday. The University of Florida sophomore’s superb display overshadowed team titles for the Arkansas men and Tennessee women.

Clement, 19, outran a strong field and stunned the crowd with a 44.57-second clocking, breaking Johnson’s mark of 44.63 set on March 4, 1995, at the US Indoor championships in Atlanta.

There was a collective gasp from the crowd as the time was shown on the scoreboard after he crossed the finish line.

Clement switched allegiance a year ago from his native Trinidad and Tobago to the United States, ahead of the World Junior Championship in Italy.

He was a highly sought high school athlete at La Porte, Texas, both as a hurdler and sprinter. He chose Florida over LSU, Texas and Tennessee.

“This is amazing. I can’t describe how I feel right now,” said Clement, who wants to become a US citizen and compete for the US internationally.

Until Saturday night’s effort, only Johnson himself and LaShawn Merritt had broken the 45-second barrier since the record was set more than a decade ago. Terry Gatson of Arkansas was second in 45.29 and Kelly Willie of LSU third at 45.41. Darold Williamson, anchor of the Olympic gold medal 1 600-metre relay team in Athens, was fourth at 46.26.

It was the first world record set at the Randal Tyson Track Centre, which opened in 2000.

Clement capped his magnificent night by anchoring his team to the 1 600-metre relay title in a collegiate record 3:03.51 minutes.

He won the NCAA 400-metre hurdles outdoors last year as a freshman, and had considered that his best event.

Clement’s previous best in the 400 was 45.29 on the same track at the Southeastern Conference championships two weeks ago. He was sixth in the 200 metres the night before.

The record was the only world indoor mark held by Johnson, the five-time Olympic gold medalist. Johnson still holds the world outdoor records at 200 and 400 meters.

The Arkansas men overcame a disqualification in the distance medley relay and an injury to sprinter Tyson Gay to win their 18th NCAA Indoor title and 40th national cross country or track title in John McDonnell’s 33 years as Razorbacks coach. (CMC)

2005-03-14 3:33 PM
in reply to: #129683

User image

Veteran
Belize
Subject: RE: 19 yr old Broke Michael Johnson’s world 400-metre record
He's Trinidadian but he probably did most if not all of his training in the U.S. If I was Trinidadian I'd be really disappointed. Trinidad along with other Caribbean countries such as Jamaica and Barbados seem to produce some of the best track and field athletes in the world even though, most of them train in the U.S.

2005-03-14 4:11 PM
in reply to: #129708

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Subject: RE: 19 yr old Broke Michael Johnson’s world 400-metre record
You know, David, I was kinda thinking the same thing.... It's a bummer that the glory doesn't go to the guy's country of origin. But still, that's astounding that he broke THAT record and at such a young age. We've got a superstar on our hands, ladies and gents!
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » 19 yr old Broke Michael Johnson’s world 400-metre record Rss Feed