Other Resources My Cup of Joe » bulky muslces Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-09 1:14 PM

User image

Veteran
New Orleans, LA / Lafayette, LA
Subject: bulky muslces
I have a question: Is it just me, or do girls' legs get bigger and bigger (with muslces) while guys get thinner and thinner when doing the same exercises? Does endurance training produce long skinny muscles or short bulky ones? Being an almost-19-year-old girl, Lord knows I don't want big legs, but it seems like I just can thin out? (By the way, I'm 5'5 and weigh 129-130--not overweight, just interested in being "slim and trim.")

Please help!!
~Dorian

2004-03-09 3:15 PM
in reply to: #11385

User image

Almere - The Netherlands
Subject: RE: bulky muslces
Hey Dorian,

As far as I now in a very very few words:
long slow/medium pace endurace training produces long skinny muscles. So don't be afraid, as long as you ar not running uphill with a 40 pound backpack :-)
But, watch your food also. The reason why most men get skinny very fast is they don't eat good. Men do need more calories a day than women, they burn calories faster. If they do not eat good, they will burn fat but also muscle tissue quickly --> skinny legs.

So if you want to get slim and trim. Eat enough protein to keep your muscles, but limit your calories (not too much!) to burn the fat.

Hope it helps.

Loran
2004-03-10 1:37 AM

Champion
In general, women are going to "bulk up" a lot less due to the testosterone level, which is one of the reasons behind big muscles
2004-03-10 5:41 AM
in reply to: #11562

Veteran
budapest, hungary.
i agree with the previous two comments, i can add 2 more things.
1)the bulkyness level also depends on genteics ,if both of the parents or one of them have a certain structure of legs most chances that youll have the same one. for example i'm build like my father ,it does not metter how much i train my legs are bulky as his legs ( and he is training very intesively), the legs loose weight but you can see than general structure is bulky.
2)female metabolism is a bit diff from the male one due to the diff sex hormones.
2004-03-10 9:01 PM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
In my unsophisticated opinion, I haven't seen many/any bulky muscled endurance athletes. Endurance and bulk just don't go together.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » bulky muslces Rss Feed