General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gastric Bypass Triathletes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-15 12:26 PM

New user

Mt Pleasant, MI
Subject: Gastric Bypass Triathletes
Anyone out there had gastric bypass and is now doing triathlons? Would love to interact. I'm approaching my first triathlon season 125lbs lighter than two years ago. Specifically I am gathering information on staying nourished and hydrated with our altered stomach anatomy....what has worked for training and races. Julie.

2005-03-26 11:19 PM
in reply to: #130108

Subject: RE: Gastric Bypass Triathletes
Hey Julie, I had the gastric bypass last June, and I've got maybe 15 lbs to go. YAY! I'm hoping to do my first triathlon in May. It's a small one, and I just found out about it this morning, so I'm worried about the training. As for hydration concerns, I bike a lot, and always have one of those camelbacks strapped to my back. I have no idea if those are allowed in a triathlon though. If you find out anything about nourishment, let me know. That's been a concern for me too, though my surgeon hasn't seemed too worried in that regard. He mentioned bananas and protein bars, and to avoid fiber such as grapes.
Laura
2005-03-27 11:40 AM

New user

Mt Pleasant, MI
I have found it to be a delicate balance of keeping carb and fluid intake adequate, but not overloading on carbs/sugar and having a dumping reaction in mid-workout. I can eat a half a banana and be fine, but sometimes I'll react to a whole one. Same with gatorade...I have to water it down to not dump. Water alone does not keep me going. I have found the powders accelerade and endurox to be helpful...they also have protein in them 4:1 carb:protein...but I also use a smaller scoop than called for or use more water than called for. The only bar I have found that is even tolerable is the zone bars. I don't dump on those...most of the other ones are just foul. The gels I find nasty as well and prefer to eat a half a banana and a zone bar on the bike. With our altered anatomy, it is vital to take in very frequent small amounts of fluid with calories while participating in endurance events...with a 2oz pouch for a stomach, once you get behind, it is hard to catch up and remain a participant without crumping. I know my pouch limit is 4-5 gulps and stop. I use a camelback when it is not too hot, otherwise I can' tolerate it on my back. I keep three bottles handy on the bike. I think you can take a camelback on the bike, I can't imagine why not. I also have found that I need to eat prior to and right after any work out more that an hour or more AND have sports fluid going during the workout to feel good. I personally do best with yogurt, banana, protein drink etc prior with nothing too solid. I save the solid meal for after the workout/training. Hope that helps. Julie.
2005-03-27 9:37 PM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY

Yes you can use a camelback during the race.  It sounds like it's important for you to have something with you, that you can tolerate.  You may want to try out some of the different drinks to see what you can use not only for hydration but also nutrition.  When you find something that works you may want to have a camelback or carry a water bottle with your preferred drink. 

If you're doing a sprint race, you may not need to eat anything during the race.  For me water is all I need during a sprint.  However, I'm not at all familiar with the eating needs of someone who has had the gastric bypass, so I can't say for sure that not eating during a sprint race is what you need to do.

Good luck on your triathlon journey.  You've come to the right place.  You may want to do a search, and see if this topic has been covered previously. 

2006-04-01 9:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
I am a gastric bypass person too...this next October, I will be 3 years out. I don't have any problems so far with tri-ing and my pouch. Well, honestly, I think I have stretched my pouch enough where I can drink most anything - but you don't want to get like that for sure. I have one of those camel back thingys but I have never used it. My biggest nutritional problems are making myself drink enough water and getting in the protien. I do try and drink at least one protien drink per day - with breakfast works for me...It is by syntrax and you can get it on this website just for WLS patients...shoot I can't think of it right this moment...anyway I have tried a TON of different protien drinks, and mostly they are clumpy, goopy nasty things that taste terrible. These are easy to mix and tase good. My fave is the Lynchberg Lemonaide. Tastes great!

Kelly
2006-04-07 8:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Land of Mickey-Orlando
Im a 7 1/2 year post op gastric bypass patient with 30 triathlons under my belt (so to speak) in the last 5 years. I started at 380lbs...down to 187lbs...still losing but very very slowly.

I used a camelback in my training and racing for the first two years. It was the only way I could drink since water on the run made me .. well...BARF!!! Nutrition is still an ongoing learning experience so any imput from anyone here would be very very helpful.

I have done 3 olympic distance races but that is as far as I have gone. Looking to do a 1/2 Ironman in 2007 and a full Ironman in 2008. Anybody have experience with these distances and gastric bypass???

I would love to hear from all of you

Melissa

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gastric Bypass Triathletes Rss Feed