General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why helmets are good Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-23 7:45 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Why helmets are good

I was out travelling around central Florida and decided to go through Winter Garden A) because its a quaint little town with a neat little downtown area and B) theres a Tri shop there and I figured I would see if they had any deals.

For those that have been there you know the area is populated with people on bikes and it seems to be a very bike friendly area.

So as I am walking down the street checking out what people are riding I looked across the street and saw two young ladies cruising along. They were in the process of switching over to the paved bike  area that runs between the 2 lanes headed  through that part of town. The first rider crossed the street and rode onto the bike trail and as her friend followed I looked on in horror as she had a nasty low speed crash. She cut the turn a little close and her tire got off the pavement and unlike my funny low speed lay downs she went from vertical horizontal in the blink of an eye.

I ran across the street and was happy hear her yell because it meant she wasn't knocked out. I was even more happy to see no blood. Her friend came back and some other folks came running as well to see if everything was ok. I gave the friend my cell to call 911 when her friend said she felt like she was going to pass out and we tried to make her comfortable without letting her move too much.

The paramedics arrived very quickly and started to check her out and got her sitting up and into the ambulance for a quick eval. I picked up the two bikes and the helemt that she had been wearing. I carried it over to her friend and said "Thank God she had this on" The helmet had taken a pretty  good wack and I am afraid had she not had it on things would have been much different. Luckily she got away with a little rasberry on her cheek and her knee. Hopefully she thanks Giro for saving her nogin!

Anyway the only reason I mentioned this ( obviously there are many here who have had much much more sever accidents at high speed) here was just in case there was anyone who decides its ok to not wear a helmet because you are only going  a short distance or wont be travelling very fast. This reminded me of the day before i graduated high school when a close friend had a low speed ( <15 mph) crash on his motorcycle 2 miles from his house when he was rounding a turn that had sand on it. His head hit the pavement, his brain swelled and he was dead soon after. 

So please PLEASE kep those helmets on. Now if only I can find one for my rear for my moments when I dont get  unclipped quite fast enough

BTW the people that were around were great. One woman brought us a blanket from her store, people took of jackets and shirts to put under her head and keep her warm. People driving by stopped to ask if they could help It was quite encouraging given the story her friend told me about wrecking and no one stopping and having to walk 3 miles bleeding. Its good to see people care.

2009-01-23 8:34 PM
in reply to: #1926251

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Why helmets are good

I second the motion.  A few years back I had a bike accident where I hit a curb and went down towards the sidewalk... I tried to land on my hands and knees but one of my hands didn't make it up in time and folded under my body.  Consequently, I came down on the side of my head pretty hard.  I ended up with a broken wrist and a cracked bike helmet, but my head was is good shape, thankfully.

Keep em on.  They're a lifesaver.

2009-01-23 9:08 PM

New user
There's a reason why you are required to have your helmet on before the mount line exiting T1 (or sometimes even before you move your bike!)
2009-01-23 9:12 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs

good to hear!

I always shake my head when I see people riding - esp. in MV traffic! - w/ out a bike helmet.  The bike messengers in the city never wear helmets

2009-01-24 5:02 AM

I dont know what its like in the US&A but in Australia its the law and it is enforced. In the UK it wasnt the law (at least when I lived there) so if you had a helmet then you looked like a dufus. Over here in australia you look like a dufus if you dont have one on and all the kids wear them without question - In UK its the opposite - beg kids to wear them and see plenty without.

On my 2nd day of riding my new regime of 70k round trip to the office 2 days ago I reached for my water bottle in what I can only describe as some sugar-depraved addled-brain state doing 55k's downhill and hit a bump in the road with one hand on the handlebars - what followed certainly helped with the constipation. 

Helmets are brilliant indeed, and making them the law is also brilliant. Australia is good on such laws - like enforcing that all pools must be fenced with 2mtr high fences and locking gates etc.

2009-01-24 5:48 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

I am going to print this out for my kids to make them understand that this IS why they need to wear their helmets even when they are zipping around on their "Razors"/scooters in the driveway.  I think it'll drive the point across.

Thanks for sharing, and thank goodness the person was fine!

2009-01-24 8:23 AM

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta
Good reminder for all.  And I can relate to the story.  Friend of the family used to ride in a cycling club every weekend.  He was one of the first to be a big proponent of bike helmets - if you weren't wearing one you couldn't come on that days ride (this was before helmets were mandatory by law).  One day he took a ride to the local convenience store to pick up some groceries - for whatever reason he chose not to wear his helmet.  He hit a speed bump at low speed, went down, and is no longer with us.  Moral of the story - no matter how good a cyclist you are - wear the helmet even for the shortest of rides.
2009-01-24 10:28 AM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan
Subject: counter-argument that I've encountered

I am convinced that helmets are a must. Mine has saved me some grief, that's for sure!

Just to be the devil's advocate there are strong cycling advocates for not having helmet laws. I have been involved in bike lane and bike network planning that involved public workshops and expert panels so it's been interesting working with the gamut of folks in cycling community.

Studies have shown that motorists will give a rider more room and slow down if they are not wearing a helmet. Drivers see the cyclist as being more exposed so will alter their driving to allow for the safety of the cyclist. It's like being on an bike path and passing a cyclist towing a baby trailer - you'd probably slow down a bit. With a helmet, cyclists are seen as being more confident and protected. Cyclists wearing a helmet may also be more aggressive. The problem is that it's tough to determine the number of near misses or difference in cyclist/motorist conflicts that would prove the benefit of not wearing the lid.

I thought that I'd just throw out this counter-argument that I've encountered and that has actually been a factor in some cities choosing not to have helmet laws.

2009-01-24 10:35 AM

New user

Actually, I should probably clarify my remark.  I'm all for wearing helmets, I think you are an idiot if you don't.  But I am against mandatory helmet laws, as well as mandatory seatbelt laws, and helmets laws for motorcyclists, etc....  I say, let evolution take it's course! 

The only flaw to my argument, is that we, as taxpayers (at least here in the US, and in any other place with some form of socialized health care), end up paying part or all of the increased medical bills for those who don't wear helmets.  not sure what the solution there is (other than denying any form of public health care for anyone not wearing a helmet, which just won't fly in todays world.)

Oh, well, thats slightly off topic.  Either way, wear your helmet!

2009-01-24 11:25 AM

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta

Here we have helmet laws for those under 18 and I fully support them.  (I'm that cranky old guy on the street that calls out to the kids I see not wearing them)

2009-01-24 1:15 PM

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

Hey Hey Hey!!!!! I don't try to cut into YOUR Job security do I????Tongue out

J/K. Helmets are a good thing.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why helmets are good Rss Feed