General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight is staying the same... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-25 2:09 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: Weight is staying the same...

...while my BF% continues to go down.

I started at 237 with a body fat of ~ 26%.  I am now at 210 with a bodyfat just under 15%.  Obviously, I can still lose some fat.  However, my lean body mass (178.5) is still HUGE for an aspiring endurance athlete.  At this rate, I will be at 5% body fat before I get to 190 lbs.

Is there a way to continue to train and not put on bulk.  Each weeks training 4 runs 1 strength training, one spin/bike, swim every other week.

Maybe it is my diet, because I feel hungry all of the time!

Edited by pga_mike 2009-01-25 2:10 PM

2009-01-25 4:04 PM
in reply to: #1927934

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
Subject: RE: Weight is staying the same...

You can tri to increase your swimming frequency, also include freq str training that is low wt and high repititions, that should help.

That really helped to lean me out, I started out at 228lbs and now weigh just about 190.

2009-02-07 9:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Upstate NY
Subject: Weight is staying the same...

I had the same issue, I dropped down from 230lbs to about 180lbs and have been stable for a while.  Once I hit about 190lbs, it took me almost as long as to drop the last 10lbs as the first 40 because I was in the gym a lot.

Two things I noticed.  The more work I did in the aerobic threshold the more lean I got, losing fat an bulk.  If I upped the running (it tended to send me anerobic) or the gym, then I tended to bulk up.   The other thing was the type of workouts that I was doing.  The more long aerobic workouts that I did, the more I leaned out.  My muscles toned up and I leaned off much of the bulk whether it was a run workout, swim workout or bike workout...

The other aspect was with diet.  It's a pain to do but if you move to lots of small meals during the day then you might see those results from the kick to your metabolism.  I can never do it for very long because the rest of my life gets in the way, but it works when I do it.  Add that to drinking water first before I ate anything really helped me feel fuller for longer, almost as if I mistook my thirst for hunger...

I don't know, but that's what worked for me.

2009-02-08 9:36 PM

New user

Subject: RE: Weight is staying the same...
Just a quick/small addition- I really found that swimming was what changed my metabolism the most and helped me lose the most weight.  I think everyone is different especially when it comes to men vs. women, but since other people mentioned it I figured I would too- try upping swimming sessions!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight is staying the same... Rss Feed