General Discussion Triathlon Talk » toe and feet numbness Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-26 3:46 PM

Subject: toe and feet numbness

I am a newbie here ,,,Hi!

I have a question about feet falling asleep while running,,,

my toes and/or the bottom of usually one foot falls asleep while running,, brings a whole mew meaning to the saying twinkle toes I tell ya,, it is very disrupting to my run,, I am in Canada so I am on a tread mill until the melt down in April.I do not have this trouble running on the road. I was just wondering if any one out there has the same trouble.

What I do to try and get rid of it is to change my pace or bring my knees up higher so I can wiggle my toes and get circulation back,, I look rediculious! any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers TraciiCool

2009-01-26 4:21 PM
in reply to: #1929924

User image

Expert
Denver Area
Subject: RE: toe and feet numbness

I DID have this same problem.  Parts of my foot or both feet, just the toes or otherwise, the gamut.  SO, After consulting one running store and spending $$$ on new running shoes and being told that I should see the in store chiropractor, I got a second opinion. 

The second store (Fleet Feet in Boulder, Thank you!) took more time with me. The answer for me is lacing.  He relaced my shoes specially for each foot (see pic).  I also was fitted with super-feet insoles as added support....AND the topper?  I ran almost 10 miles one night and feet felt great, because I didn't over tighten my shoelaces.

I hope you figure it out, I know how frustrating it can be when I feel great during an 'A' race ---except my feet are failing me!  (my past logs early 07 record this)

Good luck and welcome to BT!

Edited by AdaBug 2009-01-26 4:23 PM

(IMG_7445.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_7445.JPG (68KB - 40 downloads)
2009-01-26 4:29 PM
in reply to: #1930036

Thank you Thank you a million times!!

You know you might have something there with the laces, I now do not tie my shoes to help with the tingling. (which I know is not the smartest thing)

And I will go and get better insoles or even new shoes seeing these are getting raggedy. I thought there was something wrong with me , I am so glad to hear it could just be the shoes..WHEW!!!

You rock!

PS- I will let you know how it goes!

2009-01-26 5:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Williamsburg, VA
AdaBug - 2009-01-26 5:21 PM

I DID have this same problem.  Parts of my foot or both feet, just the toes or otherwise, the gamut.  SO, After consulting one running store and spending $$$ on new running shoes and being told that I should see the in store chiropractor, I got a second opinion. 

The second store (Fleet Feet in Boulder, Thank you!) took more time with me. The answer for me is lacing.  He relaced my shoes specially for each foot (see pic).  I also was fitted with super-feet insoles as added support....AND the topper?  I ran almost 10 miles one night and feet felt great, because I didn't over tighten my shoelaces.

I hope you figure it out, I know how frustrating it can be when I feel great during an 'A' race ---except my feet are failing me!  (my past logs early 07 record this)

Have you lace your shoes with elastic laces the same way? Does it still work as well?
2009-01-26 7:59 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
AdaBug - 2009-01-26 4:21 PM

Thank you, from me too! I also have been dealing with a toe-numbing issue. Only happens on right foot. My 4th toe curves inward and tucks in underneath my 3rd toe. It's like this on BOTH of my feet, so it's obviously some kind of genetic deformity or something. But the pain & numbness is only occurring on my right foot...go figure. I've tried everything...new shoes, wider toe box, metatarsal pads, Bodyglide rubbed between those 2 toes, taping the 2 toes together, you name it! My podiatrist does not think it's a neuroma (which at one point, I though it was)...and can't really offer any other solution for me. The pain & numbness only happen during exercise...primarily while running, but it has also occurred while biking, doing eliptical machine, and also Stairmaster. I was at a complete loss, as far as what to try next...until you posted your shoe pic and mentioned lacing. I see that each shoe is laced differenty...can you provide details on how each was laced and for what reason? I'm not sure which picture to follow for my particular problem. Thank you SO much!

Linda
2009-01-30 2:13 PM
in reply to: #1930163

User image

Expert
Denver Area
jart0806 - 2009-01-26 4:14 PM
AdaBug - 2009-01-26 5:21 PM

I DID have this same problem.  Parts of my foot or both feet, just the toes or otherwise, t....................ing it can be when I feel great during an 'A' race ---except my feet are failing me!  (my past logs early 07 record this)

Have you lace your shoes with elastic laces the same way? Does it still work as well?

Elastic laces?  I'm unsure of what those look like...

I do have another pair of Asics, trail rated, that are regularly laced, and the last time I took them out for a 3-4 miler ended up with same issues I had prior to relacing my pictured shoes.  I should note that the lacings are specific to the issues I was having with each foot.

2009-01-30 2:22 PM
in reply to: #1930486

User image

Expert
Denver Area
nscrbug - 2009-01-26 6:59 PM
AdaBug - 2009-01-26 4:21 PM

I DID have this same problem.............

Thank you, .........can you provide details on how each was laced and for what reason? I'm not sure which picture to follow for my particular problem. Thank you SO much! Linda

My right foot would go completely numb top of foot to sole, I couldn't feel my toes...most especially after 3-4 miles both feet were giving me toe-numbing/sole issues...my left was mainly an issue of soreness in that ball of the foot-to-toe bone.  

The Main Man at the running store thought about it for a bit, then explained how to lace them, and showed me how to do it.  As I mentioned above I've yet to re-lace other shoes, but plan on it if I end up using the other pair more often. 

I bet that it's be a different lacing for each person depending on the area of numbness/soreness.  I'm not sure writing out the lacing would be of use, I might confuse more than help.  I'm positive there are lacing diagrams out there somewhere. 

You are welcome!  I'm happy to be of service!

Edited by AdaBug 2009-01-30 2:25 PM
2009-01-30 3:31 PM
in reply to: #1929924

Pro
AZ
The laces tip is a good one, especially if you are having pain across the top of your foot.  But usually feet going numb has to do with yours shoes being too small.  When I was just starting out I figured you buy running shoes in the same size you buy all your other shoes in, but I was wrong. When you run your feet swell, and you need more room in your toe box.  Once I went to a REAL running shoe store, and got properly fitted, I found out that a woman's size 10 is what I need....not the 8.5 I wear for dress shoes.  It was the BEST thing that ever happened!  My feet NEVER go numb while running anymore!
2009-01-30 4:10 PM
in reply to: #1938089

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
StandsWithFist - 2009-01-30 3:31 PM

The laces tip is a good one, especially if you are having pain across the top of your foot.  But usually feet going numb has to do with yours shoes being too small.  When I was just starting out I figured you buy running shoes in the same size you buy all your other shoes in, but I was wrong. When you run your feet swell, and you need more room in your toe box.  Once I went to a REAL running shoe store, and got properly fitted, I found out that a woman's size 10 is what I need....not the 8.5 I wear for dress shoes.  It was the BEST thing that ever happened!  My feet NEVER go numb while running anymore!

Well....while I will most definitely agree with you on sizing up for running shoes, it did not resolve my toe numbing problems...so mine is definitely a foot issue, and not a shoe size issue.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » toe and feet numbness Rss Feed