General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to Eugene Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-26 6:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Moving to Eugene
Hey Guys,

Eugene is one of a bunch of places I've always thought I'd love to live. But I'm wondering how the area is for SBR training. Anyone live in the area who can provide some first-hand experience of how the weather effects training?

--Chris

2009-01-26 10:04 PM
in reply to: #1930305

User image

Portland, OR
Subject: RE: Moving to Eugene
I'm not in Eugene, but up in Portland so the weather is about the same I think. I recently moved to Oregon as well (July '08) and have found the weather can suck, but you can't let it stop you. It does rain (and snow a little) and it is cold, but I still get out and do what I have to do. I just dress warm and go for it. It always seems like a horrible idea to go riding in the cold rain, but I have yet to get back and regret going. But I have to say, I am starting to miss the California weather, hopefully spring will role around soon!
2009-01-27 9:19 AM

Eugene
I live in Eugene. It rarely snows here (except for a freak week around Christmas this year). "Cold" means in the 20s and 30s generally. Right now highs are in the 40's. There is lots of drizzle, rain, sprinkles, doom and gloom, whatever you want to call it...I have NEVER let the weather interfere with my runs (no reason to) but I'm a total weenie when it comes to cycling in the winter. Summer is FANTASTIC...lots of sun and temps are usually in the 80's. We have some wonderful running trails around here, many miles of road to cycle (hills or flats, whatever you want). Open water swims will probably require a 30 min drive (for least polluted water). Personally I think Eugene is GREAT for SBR.
2009-01-27 9:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks, guys. So, is it as rainy and overcast as everyone seems to think? And how do the seasons typically work out, i.e, how long is winter, what month do you normally start to see some spring temps, etc.?

--Chris
2009-01-27 10:59 AM

User image

Eugene, Oregon
I've lived in Eugene for the last 10 years and love the overcast winter skies and cool but not cold temps. As stated earlier the running here is great,  you know  "Pre" and all that.  I really moved here from New Mexico for the cycling and the commutability of the town. I commute year round and with rain gear and fenders its no problem, typically very little wind. Bike paths here are great, and the snow and ice days are few. Spring strarts as early as march but usually april and summer gets rolling in june, fall starts in oct and winter usuall hits mid to late november. Eugene has great pools and quite a few for a town this size. Open water swimming is cold but not like other parts of the country that get a real winter. The mountains are an hour away and so is the coast. I think its perfect here. 
2009-01-27 11:52 AM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

I lived in Eugene from 1979 though 1982 while at school there. I also lived in Portland for another 5 years before moving south to Santa Barbara. I lived there for 18 years and then returned to Portland 4 1/2 years ago. I also went to undergraduate school in Boulder. My impression is that Eugene is a good place to train. 

As everyone has said, the running is great. Running in the winter is a great way to get out. It generally does not get very cold, and I don't mind the drizzle, which is what you mostly get in the Willamette Valley. It is the short days of December & January that bother me. During those months I either hike or run in a nearby Park. I like the running the best here, while hiking Boulder was the best. Santa Barbara comes in 3rd in this category.

When I lived in Eugene the swimming facilities were good, not great. With the improvement of their outside pool to 50 meters, it looks a bit better.  In those days I trained primarily as a swimmer so I think you may find the facilities adequate.  I understand the swimming facilities have improved greatly in Boulder, back then I swam at the U of C Rec Center. However nothing would compare to Santa Barbara for pool and OW swimming. Not even close.

When it comes to cycling Eugene comes in dead last. Primarily because I don't like to ride in the rain. I got spoiled first in Colorado. Even in the winter you can have many cold clear days when cycling is a blast. Santa Barbara speaks for itself but there is the California attitude of the drivers.. Another first place. In the winter here in Portland I put my bike up on  trainer for the winter. I actually get great training in watching Tour de France tapes. Summer cycling is fantastic, and while it lacks the high altitude climbs in Colorado, you have wonderful rural back roads with little traffic.

As for the weather, there are a number of false starts in spring with beautiful stretches of warm dry weather in April, May & June. But summer doesn't "officially" start until July 1. From there you have have beautiful warm and dry weather until mid October. Summer racing season is terrific.

Ultimately however, the best place to train is a place where the rest of your life is going so well that you can train as much as you like. In that light, where I live now is the best place I've ever trained.

2009-05-03 6:34 PM

User image

Well how did everyone do? If anyone ran the race?

I ended up with a 10 min PR oh 1:32:40

great course, did an 80K ride the day before, awesome country!
2009-05-04 8:50 AM
in reply to: #2127006

User image

Oops wrong thread!! forget about this post!
2009-05-22 5:51 PM

Oregon
I've lived in Eugene almost my entire life.

We do get rain from about mid-November through spring. The temps are generally mild--mid 40s. Personally, I like to run in the rain/drizzle and run in it all year round.

No one has really addressed the open water swimming. Last year I did an open water swim every weekend beginning in May and ending in mid-November. There's a couple of reservoirs about 25 minutes away that are great for it. I did my first open water swim last weekend. The water temp now is probably low 60s and will get up to the 70s. During the summer, several people in group swim without wetsuits in the summer.
2009-05-22 7:17 PM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

I agree there are some great places for OWS. Oregon Masters has an OWS series and one of them just outside Eugene. There is also a great triathlon I did last weekend

http://www.uoregon.edu/~ducktri/DBT/

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to Eugene Rss Feed