General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weekly swimming frequency Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-26 10:02 PM

User image

Subject: Weekly swimming frequency

I noticed in all the training programs none of them promote swimming more than 3 times per week.  I'm new to swimming - just started crawling last April [2008].  It took a while and the help of TI book & video but I'm finally doing a decent crawl - not very fast - but can go continuously for many laps - getting better all the time.  I have actually come to enjoy the swimming as much as my running (I'm a runner turned triathlete) - did 2 sprint tris last year [2008].  Since I enjoy swimming so much I wanted to build in a 4th day to my training program and am wondering if that is a good idea or not since none of the programs I see on this site go any more than 3 days of swimming per week.  Is my thought that swimming is almost like a rest day incorrect?  Thanks for any input as I can use all the help I can get and don't want to over-train.Smile

2009-01-26 10:17 PM
in reply to: #1930735

User image

Veteran
Kalamazoo, MI
Subject: RE: Weekly swimming frequency
There's actually a training plan which has you swimming five days a week - the eight week winter swim focus plan.  Adding a fourth day is unlikely to be harmful providing you allow yourself enough recovery.  I'd avoid doing sprint sessions back to back.  I personally don't consider swimming "rest" days unless it's just a nice slow swim designed for that purpose. 
2009-01-26 10:27 PM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
MW59 - 2009-01-26 9:02 PM

I noticed in all the training programs none of them promote swimming more than 3 times per week. I'm new to swimming - just started crawling last April [2008]. It took a while and the help of TI book & video but I'm finally doing a decent crawl - not very fast - but can go continuously for many laps - getting better all the time. I have actually come to enjoy the swimming as much as my running (I'm a runner turned triathlete) - did 2 sprint tris last year [2008]. Since I enjoy swimming so much I wanted to build in a 4th day to my training program and am wondering if that is a good idea or not since none of the programs I see on this site go any more than 3 days of swimming per week. Is my thought that swimming is almost like a rest day incorrect? Thanks for any input as I can use all the help I can get and don't want to over-train.Smile

Well, speaking as a former fish, I wouldn't call swim days "rest" days, but yes, they are much lower impact and quicker recovery. Unless you really suck at swim or something similar, there isn't much to be gained by the average triathlete by swimming more than 3x per week.

John

2009-01-26 11:25 PM
in reply to: #1930770

User image

Champion
am i just wasting my time with all those extra swims!?!?!?!?!

sarcasim aside, no adding in more than three days wont kill you, and if you are doing them properly, no swimming is not a rest day.
2009-01-27 5:10 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Assuming you have decent technique, if swimming feels like a rest day, then you should probably be swimming longer and/or faster.  Technique is more important in swimming than running or biking, but once you have the basics, you need to stress your body a little so it will adapt and get stronger (faster).

After a hard swim session, I have many more muscles sore than after a hard bike or run.

2009-01-27 7:24 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Building in a fourth swim day can IMO really improve your overall swim both in terms of speed and comfort in the water. I have seen newer swimmers really see large gains by adding the fourth or fifth day.

Plus if you enjoy it and have the time, you should do it.

The only thing I would caution you on is to build up your overall weekly mileage a bit at time. Example: Go from 4K to 5K to 6.5K to 8K, etc...don't go from 4K to 10K in one week. You do not need to be as cautious as you do when building up the distance on the run but you still do not want to have a huge jump.

2009-01-27 12:22 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
MW59 - 2009-01-26 8:02 PM

I noticed in all the training programs none of them promote swimming more than 3 times per week.  I'm new to swimming - just started crawling last April [2008].  It took a while and the help of TI book & video but I'm finally doing a decent crawl - not very fast - but can go continuously for many laps - getting better all the time.  I have actually come to enjoy the swimming as much as my running (I'm a runner turned triathlete) - did 2 sprint tris last year [2008].  Since I enjoy swimming so much I wanted to build in a 4th day to my training program and am wondering if that is a good idea or not since none of the programs I see on this site go any more than 3 days of swimming per week.  Is my thought that swimming is almost like a rest day incorrect?  Thanks for any input as I can use all the help I can get and don't want to over-train.Smile

I recommend starting out with 3 days a week of swimming including a lot of drills. As you progress through your training, cut down on the drills and eventually add a 4th day of swimming where you are just doing a straight swim equal to the distance of your race, ideally in the open water, but if not just another pool session.

Good luck!
2009-01-29 8:52 PM
in reply to: #1930985

User image

Thanks docswim4 for the positive input - I'll be sure to build slowly.  I'm not a very fast swimmer - a fast lap for me is anything under 35sec!  I'm not sure what the normal lap time would be for someone like me...i just started crawling last April to prepare for my first Tri - but it took me til August to finally get to the point where i could actually do one full lap without being out of breathe.  On a good day I can now go many laps as long as i go slow (40-46 sec/lap) - not sure how many as i haven't really put it to a good test yet - most i've done is 10 without stopping but i did feel like i could keep going - but everything i'm reading says you shouldn't just get in the pool and do non-stop laps - so i concentrate on interval type workouts with warmup technique drills first. 

I'm a 57 year-old female - i've been a runner for years - 5 & 10Ks & biking for fun - which has  now turned into Tri-fun!!  So i'm not really sure how much i can expect out of my swimming as far as speed. I enjoy the swimming now and would prefer to just build up the endurance so i can crawl non-stop thru the course.  i welcome any more suggestions you may have - as i said before - i can use all the help i can get!Smile

2009-01-30 10:33 AM
in reply to: #1930758

User image

Extreme Veteran
KzooJason - 2009-01-26 10:17 PM

There's actually a training plan which has you swimming five days a week - the eight week winter swim focus plan.  Adding a fourth day is unlikely to be harmful providing you allow yourself enough recovery.  I'd avoid doing sprint sessions back to back.  I personally don't consider swimming "rest" days unless it's just a nice slow swim designed for that purpose. 

I'm currently "enjoying" that plan.

It's definitley tough! But last year I used it, and improved my swim a ton! This year so far it seems to yet again be improving my swim, or at least getting it back up to par!
2009-01-30 11:38 AM

User image

Fishers, IN
I am still not a particularly fast swimmer.  I am pretty new the sport but finally things are coming along.  I think I have started to see my best improvements yet by going 5 days a week and really focusing on it and hitting many of the sessions with Masters swimmers.  After a point of having some distance base, the value of faster intervals (200,100,and 50's) make a big difference.
2009-01-30 1:48 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
I swam 5 days for awhile and it really helped me get comfortable in the water, so if you think an extra day will help, then you should add a day! 

2009-01-31 10:25 AM

New user

I think the saying goes that "Tri's aren't won in the swim, but they can be lost"  Basically, it means that you would have to be a really great swimmer to make up for time lost on the run bike.  Given that the time percentages are skewed as well (something like 20% swim, 45% bike, 35% run), your training efforts are better spent on the bike or running.

On the other hand, if you are doing this to have fun, and have no intentions of placing in your AG, then swim all you want.  It will feel great being one of the first out of the water.  Until you get passed on the bike over and over again......Wink

2009-01-31 12:10 PM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL

I usually swim 4 or 5 times a week...It has help me to keep a good endurance....

Good Luck!!!

Edited by velorider62 2009-01-31 12:10 PM
2009-01-31 10:34 PM
in reply to: #1938804

User image

Champion
caelric - 2009-01-31 10:25 AM

I think the saying goes that "Tri's aren't won in the swim, but they can be lost" Basically, it means that you would have to be a really great swimmer to make up for time lost on the run bike. Given that the time percentages are skewed as well (something like 20% swim, 45% bike, 35% run), your training efforts are better spent on the bike or running.

On the other hand, if you are doing this to have fun, and have no intentions of placing in your AG, then swim all you want. It will feel great being one of the first out of the water. Until you get passed on the bike over and over again......Wink

wait, are you saying to do well dont swim more?
if you race shorter races, and really any triathlon, the better a swimmer you are the better the race is going to end up. being able to hit the bike/run not trashed from the swim is going to do wonders for your race, and being able to come out in front, and then hold it is gonna do great things for your results
2009-02-02 10:05 AM
in reply to: #1939500

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
being able to hit the bike/run not trashed from the swim is going to do wonders for your race, and being able to come out in front, and then hold it is gonna do great things for your results

Couldn't agree more. Also, IMO, swimming is the only leg that will not improve regularly simply by adding volume/intensity. With the bike and run, anyone can approach the FOP by just getting into better shape by doing more and harder. In swimming, if you practice bad technique your improvement will stop at some point depending on how bad your technique is. If you want to be competitive and don't swim with good technique you'll never actually get there. Ie. you'll lose races because of your relatively weak swim.
2009-02-02 10:20 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
IMO in general 3 x week is the minimum to maintain swim fitness/feel for water and you can make some gains (mainly beginners) at a slow rate. 4x week will help most beginners to improve technique and speed, 5-6x week athletes will experience great gains in speed not only for swimming but also for bike/run times. This will depend on your swimming background of course but for someone with limited swmming experience 4-5x a week should produce good improvements.

2009-02-02 10:41 AM
in reply to: #1941109

User image

Expert
JorgeM - 2009-02-02 11:20 AM

IMO in general 3 x week is the minimum to maintain swim fitness/feel for water and you can make some gains (mainly beginners) at a slow rate. 4x week will help most beginners to improve technique and speed, 5-6x week athletes will experience great gains in speed not only for swimming but also for bike/run times. This will depend on your swimming background of course but for someone with limited swmming experience 4-5x a week should produce good improvements.

Completely agree.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weekly swimming frequency Rss Feed