Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » New to Tri (in Calgary) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-27 4:13 PM

New user

Subject: New to Tri (in Calgary)

Hey all - So this is the year I've decided I should attempt a triathlon... I've got a strong swimming background although I've been out of it for a while, and have done shorter running races (10K and under)... Thought I'd push myself and attempt an olympic-length race in Invermere, BC this July. I'm sure I sound crazy but thats still 6 months away. My goal is more finishing than timing...

Does anyone know of any sprint tri's I could do while training? Also, if anyone wants a training buddy let me know! I'm in the north end of town if that makes a difference. I'm going to have to wait another week or two to get back in the pool though - I broke my finger a week ago and it makes training a little difficult!

Anyway, just thought I'd say hi! I'm new and this site seems like a really great resource. If anyone has any general tips, feel free to throw them my way - they're always appreciated  

-Jamie

2009-01-27 4:39 PM
in reply to: #1932228

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: New to Tri (in Calgary)

Welcome to BT!  You might want to stop by Tri It on Memorial Drive or Speed Theory (Crowchild Tr & 53 St.) and get addicted to their gear as well as find out about upcoming races.

The Try This Triathlon at Foothills pool and around the U of C looks like it will be held on May 24 this year.  It is a good way to get a triathlon under your belt and learn as you go.  There are no dumb questions at that race.  I did it last year and really enjoyed it.

There is also a sprint tri at Mount Royal College (pool), likely in April, but I just checked their website and it appears to be sold out.

There is also a triathlon in Lethbridge in May (Splash, Pedal & Gasp).

Good luck & happy training!

Tracy

2009-01-27 6:50 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Hey Jamie...I am completely new at this as well. I live in the NW(Tuscany) and am looking for someone to train a bit with. I swim in the mornings at Shouldice a few days a week. I work downtown so I try to hit the riverpaths when i can for a run. I have signed up for a few sprints as well, looking to get to a olympic late in the summer as well. Get back to me and we can chat.
2009-01-27 7:15 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Pretty sure the Splash, Pedal & Gasp in Lethbridge is all sold out too. If you're coming down this way though, I've heard of a tri in Fort Macleod but don't know the dates. There's also one in Magrath, just south of Lethbridge, sometime in the mid summer with an open water swim at the dam there. Not sure if the Vulcan tri has a sprint but I think it's usually sold out early anyway. I believe there's also a tri in Medicine Hat, but again I'm not sure when. Welcome, good luck, and have fun!
2009-01-27 8:23 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Yes the Lethbridge one is full now. I'm going down to do the sprint. My hometown is right there, and i went to school in lethbridge so that'll be fun. Vulcan is happening they just posted the date on their website.
2009-01-27 9:45 PM

New user

Wow! Thanks for the info so far, that's great!! Totally appreciated! I will have to look into all of those sprint races.

Trevor - Ironically, I work at Shouldice as a lifeguard part-time. Like I mentioned earlier, the swimming will have to wait a little while but that's definitely my pool. I'm starting work dt in May, just finishing up my degree this semester. Do you bike outdoors in the winter? Not sure if I'd up to your speed if you do, but would be willing to give it or running a try.

Does anyone do any of the running room groups or have you been to the "tri-it" place to see what they offer?

2009-01-28 8:09 AM
in reply to: #1932850

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

Don't really bike outdoors when its cold and wet like it has been> i've been out on my new bike really only once.BUt if things start warming up again , then maybe. I wipped out on some ice when I went out, so I'm a little gunshy now. I tend to just ride in my basement or at World Health where I have my gym membership.

There are some good programs at running roon and Tri-It. I am married with 2 younger kids (3&1) so its tough for me to commmitt to a weekly program or such. What kind of schedule do you work off of, and we can plan to meet if you want. I work essentially 6-3:30ish M-F. I try to run during the week a few days around 10:30 by the river when its not -50 out or hit the gym. And then on the weekend I can usuually get away for a bit, whenever works.

2009-01-30 8:23 AM

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta

Arbour Lake Triathlon cancelled. 

Just received the following notice:

It is unfortunate that we have to announce the cancellation of the 10th annual Arbour Lake Tri & Du. With attendance of over 400 in the past few years, we have outgrown the local community. As well the high traffic volume limits the capacity of the existing roadway network in and around the event area.

After discussions with the Community, City, Transportation and Police Departments it was decided to cancel the race.

We are currently working on another Calgary venue to be confirmed in the coming weeks. The tentative event date is June 27 & 28. The new event location will host the same distances as Arbour Lake, as well as a Kids of Steel race on the Saturday.

2009-02-01 1:22 PM
in reply to: #1932583

User image

Extreme Veteran
I think the Fort MacLeod tri is in August.  It's a pool tri (even for the Olympic race) which appeals to a nervous lake swimmer like me! I've read (not surprisingly) that it's a hilly and windy bike course!
2009-02-02 12:00 PM
in reply to: #1933156

New user

Hey Trevor, so about the delayed reply - had a couple exams last week and a pulled hamstring so I was focusing on school. Ok, so for biking I've been doing the same, just in the basement. I don't know if I my bike is going to be so good for a race in the summer but I figure once I get it out to test in when the weather is nicer, I'll have a better idea!

How far do you run/for how long? I want to make sure I'm up to pace with you before we meet up, I would hate to make you go slow!! I'm only doing about 30 min runs right now, I don't know if that's enough for you??

I think I still have another week to go before I can swim with the finger... My schedule is pretty open, except I play basketball Monday nights. I try to get my workout done in the morning, before class but sometimes (like today) it ends up being an afternoon thing. Weekends are usually pretty good for me. I work sporatic hours at the pool so thats not the best judge.

2009-02-02 3:52 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

oh i am not the fastest runner...I wouldnt woory about that. I usually cover 5km in 30 minutes. I'm slowing working up my mileage and time. That is by far my weakest.

2009-02-08 1:11 PM

New user

Hey Trevor - I tried to PM you to set up a training time, but didn't hear back... let me know if it didn't go through?

Thanks!

2009-03-10 11:54 PM

New user

Hi Guys,

I'm very new to the sport as well and looking for running buddies, I live near WestHills.  Sometimes I'm down at Shouldice, mostly at West Side Rec.  I would really love a running buddy. I'm slow though and don't want to slow anyone down.  I'm running about 5km about 40-43 mins in a hilly area.  I have a family with a 3yr old, schedule is somewhat flexible.  I could run Tues after 2:30pm and Sat/Sun almost anytime.  Mornings are preferred.

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » New to Tri (in Calgary) Rss Feed