General Discussion Triathlon Talk » trail shoes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-28 1:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Surprise, AZ
Subject: trail shoes
Looking for some advice on trail shoes. I have never worn a pair but looking to pick up a pair since I have a 50 mile trail run coming up in April.

Are trail shoes like running shoes where you have control, stability, ect..?

What are some good things to look for in a trail shoe?

Is $100 plus bucks worth it in a trail shoe?

Thnkas for any input

2009-01-28 2:33 PM
in reply to: #1933842

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: trail shoes
I love my Cascadia's by Brooks.  I do all of my trail runs in them and they served me well during the Mountain Mist 50K.
2009-01-28 2:40 PM

User image

Veteran
I'm not an expert but I was told by my shoe guy that most trail shoes aren't available in stability, etc. I didn't quite get why but I think it was because for trail running you're running on such variable terrain and surface that your foot does not need as much support as it would with a road running shoe.

2009-01-28 2:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Another vote for the Brooks Cascadia 3.  I have them and absolutely love them.  I have done up to 33 miles at a time in them and really like them - here they are:

http://www.brooksrunning.com/prod.php?p=1100461D

Very comfy but also good stability.  Hope this helps.

Brian

2009-01-28 3:08 PM
in reply to: #1934051

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-01-28 3:13 PM

Westminster, CO
I'm on my second pair of Puma Trail Fox.  I don't think I'd recommend them for long distances (10k+), but I love using them in the winter for trail running when there's slush/snow on the trails - as they aren't as breathable as my road shoes

2009-01-28 3:19 PM

Master
PA
I just got Salomon's XA Pro 3D Ultra.  Wanted waterproof and these are Gore-tex. 
2009-01-28 3:31 PM

Extreme Veteran
McHenry, IL

What kind of trail/surface do you expect to be on the most?  If it's not too technical dirt/gravel, road shoes might work just fine for you.  If your trails are more technical, look for a trail shoe designed for your typical terrain.  If you're running on lots of rocks, you might want to look for a shoe with a protective plate to protect your foot from rocks/projections, such as in the Cascadia some others have recommended.  If you'll be on a soft surface or wet/muddy trails, look for something with a more aggressive tread.

The trails I run tend to be mostly dirt, with some miles of rocks and tree roots, and occassional mud.  Since I was using Books Adrenaline road shoes, I went with the Brooks Adrenaline ASR trail shoe, and have been pretty happy with them.  They are a support shoe, which works well for me.  On the downside, on the occasions when I find myself on mud, the not-so-aggressive tread leaves me a bit wanting.

You might consider perusing the Trail Running forum at Runner's World to search for threads on the subject.

2009-01-28 6:06 PM

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
I have a couple of different pairs of trail shoes. My non-goretex ones are Salomon XP Wings and Salomon XA Comp 3. My goretex ones are Nike Structure Triax and Salomon XA Pro 3d Ultra. I kind of like shoes. Plus each is a bit different and serves its own purpose depending on what kind of trail I am running.

My XP Wings are great for alot of the trail runs we have around here in IL as they are designed for runs that have trails and roads. A lot of my trail races here have pretty good mix of road and trail. My XA comps are still useable but I really bought the XA to replace them as they were pretty worn out. I have them around in case I get a race that is really muddy. That way they get worn one last time and thrown out in style. I would buy both again,

In my opinion, the Nike Structure Triax goretex is just a winterized version of the regular triax running shoe. I like them for snowshoeing and pavement runs on cold and snowy days. My XA Pro 3s are my go to shoe for when I want a goretex shoe on the trail.

I would try on a few and see what you like best. My best piece of advice would be to decide whether you want goretex or nongoretex shoes. IMO, this depends on the trail conditions you will be running. Goretex shoes are great for water crossing that are less than ankle deep (ie water lower than top of shoe). If the water crossings are deeper, I always go with a nongoretex shoes. In my experience if your socks get wet in the goretex shoe, they are not going to dry. I always wear my nongortex shoes when I know I will have deep crossings, even when it is super cold. I like to have the ability for my socks to dry. I wish I would have know this before my first wet trail run. I wore goretex shoes and we had several knee deep and waist deep crossing, I had no chance of water draining from my shoes. Good thing it was only 12 mile race.

Also some goretex shoes are really stiff and some people don't like them.

Maybe even buy a few pairs. With a 50 miler, you will want to have a couple of changes of shoes in your drop bags in case of water, mud, blisters, etc.

Good luck on your 50 miler. I also have one in April -- McNaughton Trail Run. Hope I was of some help.
2009-01-28 8:30 PM

Master
Canton, Michigan

The New Balance 900 series is a trail shoe with stability.   I had used NB 907 or 908's up til this year, but they've made them to wimpy for real trail use and it's turned into a road shoe with dark colors and offers no protection from rocks on the underside as did previous versions that I was real happy with.  Some runs that included gravel became quite painful this past summer and fall.

I used a pair of Vasque for my trail mary, great rock protection, but not enough cushioning for me.  Now I'm trying a pair of Keen Wasatch Crest which I really enjoy but they were a closeout, so I'm not sure what Keen has plans for in there line, but they seem to have good cushioning and a tough enough sole to prevent the pain caused by rocks and gravel.

There are a lot of trail shoes out there, hopefully you can find something you like and works for your needs.  The local run shops around here don't have a lot of trail shoes, and then there's REI and I don't find most of there sales staff to be a great source for trail running shoes for longer distances.  Hiking and walking yes, trail running not so much.  Maybe your local store will be better stocked for trail runners.

2009-01-28 8:40 PM

Champion
Michigan

Are you sure you need trail runners? I ran a 100 miler and used regular shoes without too much problem...that being said I've also run many ultras where they were very necessary.

I like, in no particular order

Brooks cascadia....not real cushioned though

Puma trail fox...light weight and cool looking

Go Lite...anything they make, very light, aggressive tread and sooper comfy, but take a little getting used to because of the aggressive tread.

Vasque are also nice but I find them to be very stiff.

Good luck and good luck in your ultra!!

2009-01-29 9:44 AM

Extreme Veteran
shenandoah valley
For most trail runs I use my regular trainer, but for races (I compete in XTERRA and off road du's) I use Inov8 FlyRoc 310s. I've been very happy with those shoes.
2009-01-29 11:46 AM

Regular
Lilburn

Vasque are also nice but I find them to be very stiff.

^agree and they aren't very cushioned

I just replaced my Vasque Blur with the Mizuno Wave Ascend 4.  I love running in these.  Very cushioned and great traction.

2009-01-29 12:20 PM

Master
Dothan, Al
I have really enjoyed the Brooks ASRs. they are more of a hybrid for trail. Usually i don't like Hybrid anything. I think you get the worst of both worlds, but brooks seems to have gooten it right with the ASRs. Check 'em out.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » trail shoes Rss Feed