General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice needed for surprise B race 4 days before a C priority 10k Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-31 3:08 PM

User image

Veteran
GA
Subject: Advice needed for surprise B race 4 days before a C priority 10k

First, I'm using the 2x balanced 16wk OLY plan from this website. I started it 2 weeks ago, and it was a week early (17wks before race). Also, the UVAS Tri is slightly shorter than a true OLY with a 3/4m swim, 16m bike, 5m run.

I have a 10k on February 8th, no big deal, but my last 10k on Jan 1st was very hilly and a got a PR of 40:57. This one will be fairly flat, and I feel faster, and I want that new PR. I didn't really plan to do a taper, but to skip my long swim (fri pm) and long bike (sat pm) before the race on sunday.

NOW, I have been recruited for an Army Run Team, with a Commander's Cup (Air Force, Navy, Marines, Army in 8 person teams doing a 2 mile race around a 1600m track) that is on FEB 4th (Wednesday). This is pretty important to me, but I just found out about it. I ran a 12:07 2 mile in October (windy, not flat) and I feel faster, and their goal time is 11:30 to 11:45. I am not worried about the time.

My plan is...

I postponed my long swim (~40 min) until this afternoon.

I will skip my long bike workout (80min) today.

Tomorrow I plan to do a ~40 min active recovery bike ride, then strength on Monday.

Tuesday will be ~1 mile [tune-up / remind muscles of race pace] with the Run Team, then race on Wednesday afternoon.

Thursday light Army-strength (pushups, situps)

Friday Rest

Saturday 1-2 mile easy run, with 4 x 40 sec race pace (~6:35/mile)

Sunday Race (Hopefully new PR and 3rd or better in age group)

I know it is early enough in the plan to miss a few workouts, and my base is strong enough to be OK. I plan to skip the short swim/bike workouts completely, and just pick up the times on the 11th. For my long swim/bike workouts, I'll be missing 2 weeks of them, so I plan to skip the 1st week altogether then pick up on the 2nd ones I missed, then continue with the rest of the plan.

Does anyone have any quelms about this plan? Any suggestions, or do you think I'm doing what's best with the circumstances? Thank you.

2009-02-01 6:11 PM
in reply to: #1939076

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: RE: Advice needed for surprise B race 4 days before a C priority 10k
I think your plan is fine.  I wouldn't think a 2 mile race on Wednesday would negatively impact a 10k on Sunday.  I actually think doing a 2 mile might be a good speed workout prior to a 10k.  Two miles really isn't long enough to affect your performance too much for a race 4 days later.  Just my opinion.  Good luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice needed for surprise B race 4 days before a C priority 10k Rss Feed