General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Common mistakes made during first tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-03-16 6:50 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Common mistakes made during first tri
I recall there being an article about common mistakes made during ones first triathlon. As my first is Saturday, I was wondering if anyone knows where that might be as I cant seem to find it.

Thanks!

2005-03-16 7:49 PM
in reply to: #130792

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: Common mistakes made during first tri

Right off the bat, I don't know either, but here are just a few things to remember:

• Lay out everything at home at least once before you pack it to go
  • Find a way to mark your bike in the T1 (balloon, bright colored towel, etc.)
  • After laying your stuff out at T1, walk towards the entrance from the water and spot where your stuff is - it'll make it easier to find later
  • When getting marked with your number, make sure they put the RIGHT number on you
  • Rack your bike in an easy gear, so you don't have to mash the pedals as soon as you hop on
  • BUCKLE THAT HELMET BEFORE YOU UNRACK YOUR BIKE!  DNF because of a wreck/injury is one thing, DQ for not having the helmet buckled is just dumb.
  • Try to ride/jog/drive the bike route and run route at least once, so you can plan your speed and slack points.
  • Drink while you're on the bike.  Doesn't matter what length tri, drink while you're on the bike.
  • Don't leave T2 without your race number!
  • Don't shoot for your normal 5k pace right off the bike, o you may get a bad case of facial road rash when your knees buckle.  Your legs will come back to you fairly quickly.
  • Most important of all - HAVE FUN!  This is the day that all that training is for!

Good luck!  We'll be looking for a race report on Sunday!

2005-03-16 8:06 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama
joe, thankyou, you gave me a big sigh of relief. It`s my first tri this weekend also and i am getting my self so worked up, really getting my knickers in a knot...so to speak.
I am going to do my t1 and t2 transitions in my lounge room today, over and over. I have practised taking my goggles and cap off the moment I get out of the water. I have a bright pink towel for my transition area, plus my hubby wants me to chalk it off...does anyone do that?
Thankyou for the list of things, anymore ideas are extremely welcomed.
2005-03-16 8:26 PM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
My first was last weekend and I wrote down several things to do that I forgot:
1)get acclimated to the ocean water before your swim. jump in a couple minutes before. it was around 59 degrees water and I didn't do that, and for the life of me, I couldn't put my head in the water for more than a few seconds.
2)put on some sun block after the swim. I didn't do this either and not only for skin burn, but my face/lips were so chapped after the swim that during the bike and run, I kept thinking about it because it kept bothering me.
3)make sure you have a water bottle or bucket to wash off your feet after the swim, so you don't bike/run with sand in your shoes.
4)you probably won't have this problem, but when I drank water on the run, I didn't clinch the cup, so everytime I went to drink, all the water splashed into my face and not in my mouth.
5)do as much things that you can the night before, like the little things. Filling up your water bottle, packing your clothes, becuase I guarantee the morning before, you will forget something. You will be very anxious and nervous.
6)Put some baby powder or other similar powder in your biking and running socks/shoes if no socks.
7)If you have to use the bathroom, use one. After my bike ride, I assumed there was going to be an andy dump on the run, and there wasn't. I had to go so bad. Not only could I not run faster because of the pain, but it's like a double edge sword. Slowed me down, but made me have to hold my bladder longer.
8)Remember to have fun on your first one. Yes, you want to do well, but remember, just enjoy it. Though I didn't place well, I had the best time.

Edited by auto208562 2005-03-16 8:35 PM
2005-03-16 8:53 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Don't try to put on a shirt in T1. Put it on before the swim, or go without.

Edited by the bear 2005-03-16 8:53 PM
2005-03-16 9:02 PM

Elite Veteran
I think I'd third and fourth dialing in the transition. At my last du in January, I kinda froze because I couldn't remember where I was racked. Had to wait for others to come in so I could see where I was set-up. Just count the number of racks you need to pass from your swim leg and your bike leg. You'll be fine.

During the race, if you encounter high winds, don't try to muscle through them. Concentrate on spinning. People will pass you. You'll pass them on the run.

Practice T1 and T2. If you are putting on clothes, practice it. If you plan to don running shoes standing up, practice standing up.

At T2, grab your race belt and hat and put them on when you run.

That's all I can think of right now. Best of luck to you.

2005-03-16 9:08 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

If you're not a very strong swimmer, stay to the outside and back of your wave at the start and don't start the swim trying to keep up with the pack. I did this and almost DNFd after 100 yards. Take your time at the very beginning, it's a long race.

Good luck, looking forward to your race report.

2005-03-16 9:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
Subject: I'm not sure it's common... but,
I'm not sure it's common and probably wasn't on the list... but, if it is wet suit legal...

don't forget to firmly tie your swim suit bottom... If not...

While peeling off the wetsuit, you will undoubtedly peel more than the wet suit off.
FWIW Joe Moya
2005-03-16 9:47 PM
in reply to: #130823

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: I'm not sure it's common... but,

Joe M - 2005-03-16 7:21 PM I'm not sure it's common and probably wasn't on the list... but, if it is wet suit legal... don't forget to firmly tie your swim suit bottom... If not... While peeling off the wetsuit, you will undoubtedly peel more than the wet suit off. FWIW Joe Moya

Thanks for the mental picture Joe!  I can see this one happening!  Now I know where the look on your avatar came from.

Add one more: If you haven't practiced it before race day - DO NOT TRY IT ON RACE DAY!  If you haven't tried using gels, putting socks on wet feet, changing a tube/tire, bilateral breathing, porpoising, stripping the wetsuit while running, sliding feet into clipped in shoes on the bike, whatever, DON'T!  Race day, specifically your FIRST race day is the WRONG day to experiement with something.

2005-03-16 9:58 PM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
One more little thing. If you're wanting to track your bike performance, make sure you zero your computer before the race. Oh...and make sure you HAVE FUN!
2005-03-16 10:11 PM
in reply to: #130800

Extreme Veteran
Great suggestions! I'll add one more. If it is dark when you set up your transition area, try to get back there to take a peek in the daylight. It will definitely look different, there will be more bikes and your transition area may be compressed by your new neighbors. This is the last thing we do before we head over to the swim start. The first and ONLY time we didn't, Herdaughter got disoriented and couldn't find her bike. The most important thing to remember is to have fun and stay in the moment!

2005-03-16 11:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
For the sunburn prone.
I was told to put on sunscreen the night before. Put on sunscreen when I woke up, and put on sunscreen before the race. And I have to say, I don't know what part worked or if it was the sum, but I didn't get burned on my first race of the season, and I always get burned in the spring. All that pastiness over the winter takes time to brown properly.
2005-03-17 7:25 AM

User image

Expert
Potomac, Maryland
During the swim be sure to sight land marks often. It's doesn't take long to get off course.
2005-03-17 10:34 AM

User image

Expert
Issaquah, WA,
Don't forget to take your helmet off before you head out on the run.
2005-03-17 11:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Funny how most of the advice involves transition area. I'd add to not lose your intensity during transition. It's easy to burn a minute or two unnecessarily if you relax in transition. You can "rest" while pedaling or running easily, at least you'll be making some progress.
2005-03-17 12:00 PM
in reply to: #131018

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO

MobAlTri - 2005-03-17 9:54 AM Funny how most of the advice involves transition area. I'd add to not lose your intensity during transition. It's easy to burn a minute or two unnecessarily if you relax in transition. You can "rest" while pedaling or running easily, at least you'll be making some progress.

The transitions are where the panic sets in: if you're still moving forward (swim, bike or run) you're concentrating on that.  You hit the T1/T2, and your body is still feeling like swimming or biking, and your brain is trying to process what you'll be doing in 2 minutes.  I've seen people looking dumbfounded at the transition entry points trying to find their stuff, looking in the wrong aisles, etc.

2005-03-17 10:34 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

I second the "don't put a shirt on in T1".  I did that for my 1st tri and I struggled to put it on....had to because my race number was pinned to it!  After that it was a race belt for me!!

It is a very good idea to get climatized to the water beforehand, even if it is a shore start.  Then you know if you're goggles are going to leak etc and you can fix things early on.

Be prepared for swimming  facing the rising sun and being blinded...I never thought of this and now have tinted goggles for races.

And don't assume everyone is going to be neat and tidy at transition.  During my first, I got to T1 to find my bike knocked over and my stuff scattered.  I now use a bag because it is faster than finding scattered gear.

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!  Think of us suckers that have to wait until June for our season to start!

2005-03-18 5:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
My first one I thought I had everything ready. Then after the swim as I was putting my HR monitor on my wrist I realized I had left off the strap , I stripped down to the waist and put it on then struggled to get the top back on. Needless to say I had easily the slowest T1 in a field of nearly 500.
2005-03-18 12:44 PM

User image

Veteran
MA

Check out the ENTIRE transition area carefully.  Find the best path from the swim to your rack location, from your rack location to the bike exit, from the bike enter to your rack location, from your rack location to the run exit.  Do not assume that the run exit is in the same direction as the bike exit -- make sure that you know ahead of time.  I volunteered to help in the transition area for a race, and LOTS of people were running in the wrong direction for T1 or T2.  Also, find the bike mount and dismount line.  You can't ride your bike in the transition area.

Deb

2005-03-18 2:46 PM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Good luck on your first!

One important thing to remember is that there will be lots of people there taking the race very seriously (some perhaps taking it TOO seriously). Make sure your stuff, etc. is out of their way and taking up the smallest, tidiest space possible or they may rearrange it, and not to your liking. Transitions can get very crowded. Do your best not to get in anyone's way. There's a lot of adrenalin flying around.

And just because it's funny, keep in mind the tale of someone my friend met who didn't realize at her first tri that the transitions were TIMED and took her own sweet time combing her hair and toweling off completely, etc., only to wonder later why she came so low in the rankings!
2005-03-18 3:12 PM

Delray Beach, FL
This may or may not be the article you were referring to, but it seems relevant.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

Cheers,

Stacy

2005-03-18 5:00 PM

User image

Expert
MD
Run your own race. Don't get so caught up in the competition that you go out harder than you planned and bonk. Stick with the plans you developed over weeks of training and execute your race day plan carefully. This refers to all aspects of the race, including getting a good night of sleep, arriving at the race nice and early, hitting the port-a-johns before the lines build up and the TP runs out, having your equipment organized and in working order, pacing yourself on the swim, relaxing into a good steady state pace on the bike, regularly drinking (and eating if necessary), staying focused on the run, and so on.

Most importanly, enjoy yourself, relax, and start planning for your next race during this weekend's race. Good luck!!
2005-03-18 5:57 PM

Regular
Nottingham
Thanks all for the great advice. It is good for us novice to see what people have done or not done in the past. I am already dreading the Ts.
S
2005-03-18 8:22 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama
I want to say thanks too. I just checked the bike course and it has been changed, again, due to road works. Plus, they seem to have added a .5 mile hill at the half way point. Now, I may be alot slower with my MTB than had previously thought. Also. they announced that the men will take off first and then the women and teams go 5 min later. That makes me feel much better knowing there will be people starting before me, and I hope it gives me insentives to catch up to the slower guys.
Thanks again, you guys have given me and other novices some priceless advice.
2005-03-19 12:25 PM
in reply to: #131592

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dorset
even though its your first tri, and you wanna enjoy it etc. I think in order to avoid the post-afterglow feeling of 'i could have done better blah blah...' race hard and want it (doing well) more than the person behind you (who you will outpace) and the person infront of you (who you will overtake), its a mental and physical thing, break the mental barrier e.g. 'i can't run any faster my legs hurt' - respond to your legs with 'you will move faster, can't only comes into play when everything is going blurry damit'

i have thought about this alot (sorry i am rambling now) and i think a good chunk of people out there will slow down because they are telling themselves they can't do it etc. and if you can be one of the ones who won't let that happen you will reap the benifits
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Common mistakes made during first tri Rss Feed  

of 2