General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Gear and attitude Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-09 7:06 PM

Subject: Gear and attitude
Hi everyone -

I'm training for my first tri (olympic). Should anyone have the time and/or inclination, I'd love to get some feedback regarding what my initial attitude and gear will be. I'd like to do something this summer.

Here's my attitude toward training:

I'm in pretty good shape. 6'0 178 lbs. I usually run about 12 miles a week when left to my own devices. I've never -save for high school cross-country/track - really "trained" for anything.

Swim
I grow up in Southern Cal and, while not an expert swimmer by any stretch, I feel quite at home swimming. I was planning on starting my swim training in about three weeks. I plan to swim 1-2x/week in the pool. While I have swam a bit in the ocean I've never done a real open water swim. I can swim a mile in the pool after a few training sessions. I expect this to be my weakest event because I don't know if I'll get to practice a "real" (i.e. open water) swim before my first tri.

Bike:
I know next to nothing about biking (e.g. the gear). I have a Rockhopper mountain bike that i just put some road tires on and one of those things that records how far you've gone. I could probably ride 25 miles right now and live to tell about it.

Run:
I have been fousing on running b/c I figure it gives me the strongest base. I'm up to about 27 miles/week. One fast run or fartlek per week. I can run a 10k in about 40 minutes...i think.

I've been planning to just add stuff every week until the summer when I find a tri. Yesterday I took my bike out for the first time. I rode 4 and then ran 4. I figure I'm never going to ride without running after b/c that transition is the brutal one (for me) and so I want to get used to the feeling of running with bricks on my feet.

My attitude toward gear:
I'm pretty damn broke. I used to surf and have my old wet suit. Will that suffice? I can't get a new bike.

thanks to anyone who can give feedback. I just found this site and have already learned quite a bit.

regards
Jeff (Oakland, CA)

2004-03-09 7:16 PM
in reply to: #11470

Subject: RE: Gear and attitude (addendum)
I'm 38 years old. I do weights 3x/week. I lift mid-range to light amounts.
2004-03-09 7:26 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-03-09 10:31 PM

Veteran
Keller, TX
Subject: RE: Gear and attitude

Spend time on the bike.  You will spend half of the triathlon on it, so try to get it set up where it is comfortable and you feel good when you get off - not like you just got hit by a truck.  That will make the run easier.

oh, and welcome to the site!

2004-03-10 1:22 PM

Master
Berkeley, CA
Hey Jeff!!

I'm from Berkeley and glad to have another tri-nerd in the area. I hear you on the gear questions. When I started out, I was the extreme low-end triathlete.

Bought nothing but a pair of tri-shorts and some goggles (nothing like a liberal arts degree from UC Berkeley to provide you with NO career prospects!!). And I think, just starting out, that's fine. The mountain bike did the job for me. But just remember that many will pass you, and be ok with that. Do your own race. Now, from the perspective of experience, I'd say it might be worth it to get some smooth tires for that mountain bike--which is a much smaller investment than a new bike. It will make a considerable amount of difference--also you should have cages on your pedals, at least, if you don't have clipless. You want your bike stroke to have power on both the upstroke and downstroke. It will make a difference. If you can't get the tires, go for the cages. I have now invested in a road bike, and am definitely glad for it--but I didn't get it until after my 3rd tri.

So, tell me Jeff, what tri are you doing and where do you train??

Dana
2004-03-10 1:41 PM

thanks for the feedback...very good!!!

Dana: I haven't signed up for any tri's b/c - quite honestly - I'm not convinced I could really do it and I'd hate to register ($$$), show up and then just suck and have to stop. THAT, would be a nightmare. So, I'm just working and seeing how it goes. By the way, I have the cage on the bike and the road tires. Yeah, that does make a difference.

Regarding where I train. Today, I went from my house (Rockridge) up into Tilden Park. I did about 12.5 in all on the bike and then ran 3. I was, for a brief moment, absolutely psychologically defeated up in those damn hills. I almost just got off the bike. It's becoming clear how important the mental game is. I usally run up to Lake Temescal. How about you? Can you recommend a good tri around here.

Best regards,
Jeff

2004-03-10 2:30 PM

Regular
Pensacola, Florida
welcome jeff, i was the same way when i started training, i wasn't sure if i could do it, that i would suck. so i played around with it and tried to get in shape. somewhere along the line i decided to sign up for a race i figured it will motivate me and provide me with a goal. unfortunately since i didn't know what exactly was involved and i was overzealous i overtrained, but that's another story. the thing is maybe signing up will provide you with the motivation and sense of purpose and you can use a plan, intelligently of course, not like me. take it easy though feel your way through like you're doing. you'll do fine.
i envy you folks out there in the bay area. those "damn hills" are going to make a hell of a cyclist. at least put you in good shape.

welcome aboard, russell.
2004-03-11 12:42 PM
in reply to: #11694

New user

Cherry Hill
Dana,

I hear my exact thoughts and feelings when reading these posts. I'm brand new to the sport as well and have far too many questions than answers at this point. Dana, you mentioned something about 'tri-shorts.' This sounds like something that I should invest in but I'm not quite sure what they are. I'd love to have a comfortable short that allows me to swim, make the transition to bike (with some padding hopefully) and then complete the run with minimal fuss without changing the shorts.
Please let me know if you have any thoughts but specifically suggestions on a product, if made, that would allow me to accomplish this. Thanks in advance!

David
2004-03-11 2:44 PM
in reply to: #11901

Master
Berkeley, CA
David--

don't know exactly how to put links to former threads in here, but recently there has been much discussion about tri-shorts. Hit search and enter 'tri-shorts' and instruct it to look at threads for the last month. There's a couple that have good info.

But to be brief--a tri-short is a great addition to your gear. Mine are DeSoto and cost about $25. They dry especially quickly have minimalistic padding that does not retain water, so by your run, you are pretty much dry, but there isn't so much padding that it's uncomfortable to run in.

And lastly, the consensus was that you go commando beneath them. Indeed it is a requirement, if the point is to get dry quickly and not chafe.

Definitely a worthy investment!! Makes for a no-hassle triathlon during the different legs as well as the transition. I'm sure there are many brands out there, other than DeSoto, but I don't know them.

I don't have a wetsuit, but my friends who do, just put there tri-shorts on underneath, strip down (the wetsuit) and go.

Hope that's helpful!!

Dana
2004-03-12 4:56 AM

Extreme Veteran
Boise Idaho
Welcome to the team Jeff! as far as the gear goes, if it works and is safe, it will be good enough for now! I would just suggest shopping for a really good pair of shoes. that is the one thing not to skimp on. Jack.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Gear and attitude Rss Feed