General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Travel impact on first HIM/ IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-02 2:19 PM

User image

Expert
Florida
Subject: Travel impact on first HIM/ IM
I have been thinking about this for about a week or two and figured I would gather insight on here to help me move forward one way or another.

I have heard that traveling a large distance is not always the most advised situation to put one's self in for their first HIM or IM. I guess this could be attributed to multiple things-stress,travel cost, sleep etc....

So anyways, the only reason I haven't registered for my first HIM yet is because this has been in the back of my head.

The one I want to do is in Austin TX,(longhorn 70.3) which from my house is about 20 hours drive. I am planning on driving regardless mainly due to cost (cheaper to just drive with my bike then ship bike,buy air tickets etc.., and i don't mind driving long distances), and the other is the Augusta 70.3 which from my house is about 9.5 hours. This one i would do...im just much more interested in the longhorn.

So what are people experience's with situations such as this?

My(current) plan is to leave the thursday before (10/22)in the morning and arrive in one shot on Friday 10/23. Check into the hotel, unpack, head out to site etc.....stay through monday night, then stop in NOLA for a night on the drive back(wife and i have never been).

Does this make sense?

I guess im looking for some guidance, cause im unsure.

2009-02-02 4:37 PM
in reply to: #1941686

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
Subject: RE: Travel impact on first HIM/ IM

I've never traveled 20 hours to a race - I couldn't imagine.  I've driven 7 hours for one.  I just try and keep to my regular schedule as best as possible (sleep, water, eat, etc...).  I'm a creature of habit so anything that throws me off will mess me up mentally.  Some people are better with that.  I'm looking forward to what others have experienced.

2009-02-02 6:22 PM
in reply to: #1941982

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I would probably the lack of sleep is not the big issue.  There is little sleep to be had before a race anyway, due to nerves and an early morning.  Last season was the first time I could actually go to sleep early.

I would be more concerned with what 20 hours drive would do to you.  It would be rough on me.  Can you go a couple days early to recover?

ALSO, I was better after the HIM, but the IM?  No way I could have driven 20 hours.  I was out of commission for a couple days after the race and sore as hell.

2009-02-02 6:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas

I drove from Dallas to Louiville, KY last August for IM Lou.  6 hours to Little Rock and then 10 hours to Louisville.  Left Wednesday afternoon for Little Rock, and arrived Thursday late afternoon in Louisville.  I had Thur evening and nite to rest a bit.  I had friday to go to the expo and get checked in.  Drive a little of the course on Fri.  Saturday, practice swim, and drive more of the course.  Each day making sure I got enough relax time.  Sunday was the race, and left on Monday.

You'll do fine, but if you can take off on Wednesday, I'd do that.

Have fun! ! !   I did the first Longhorn Tri, before it was a IM 70.3.  Watch out for the BIG HILL! ! !

2009-02-03 8:48 AM

User image

Expert
Florida
great advice so far guys thanks!

the drive is something i am comfortable with. My wife's car is very comfortable and when we moved from MA to FL we did it in one shot in that car and i had no back pain, cramping, etc....

That is good advice akido on the HIM/IM difference. I am doing the HIM, and i don't think i would do a long drive for an IM, luckily I live in a state that hosts IM.

I think it would be advisable to leave wednesday instead of thursday, thus allowing for more downtime and unwinding before the race.

excellent stuff guys, i appreciate it, its helpin alot.

2009-02-04 9:50 AM

User image

Expert
Florida
anyone have anything else they would add?
just looking for all the info i can gather before making a decision.
Thanks!

2009-02-04 10:21 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario

I think arriving on Friday is fine... I arrived on a Thursday for a Sunday race and found we were kinda bored on Saturday and ended up going hiking! This year we'll drive up on Friday instead.

You may want to plan to leave on Monday... we stayed Sunday night and left Monday, unless there are things to do there on Monday you again may find the race site a boring place once the race is over.  Keep in mind we are talking about different races though, mine was at a pretty isolated place.

I'd say leave home on Thursday unless you wanted to split the drive over two days, and leave race site on Monday.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Travel impact on first HIM/ IM Rss Feed