General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newport Beach to San Diego Ride Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-03 2:10 PM

Subject: Newport Beach to San Diego Ride

I live in Riverside and ride the Santa Ana River bed pretty frequently from Corona to the beach (about 60 mls. roundtrip).  I'm thinking about riding down to San Diego from Newport Beach but don't know anything about the route. 

My plan was to just take PCH down and see what happens but that might not be too wise.

Can anybody shed some light on this route?  I'm sure there are some good "tips" out there. 

2009-02-03 5:44 PM
in reply to: #1943673

User image

Subject: RE: Newport Beach to San Diego Ride

It's very simple.  Newport to San Clemente via PCH. It's a straight shot all the way.  In SC you will go under the 5 and then be on the east side for a couple miles until PCH ends, turn right, back over the 5. On the left is a "bike path" entrance, you'll probably see surfers walking to Trestles.

Keep going south, through the campground and guard gate, until you hit the old runways of Pendleton.  After going thru a gate, turn left under the tunnel and go to the Pendleton gate, show your ID.  Turn right after the guard house, turn right at the Las Pulgas intersection.  Stay on this road (can't remember the name).  At the light at the bottom of a long down hill (Vandergrift maybe?) turn right, up the hill, exit Pendleton.  This part's a little hairy, continue back under the 5, and turn left at the first light.  You go up a little hill (Shell station I think)? 

You are now in Oceanside and can stay on PCH until you hit Torrey Pines.  It changes names to Carlsbad Blvd etc. as you pass thru beach towns, but stay on it.  Just after Del Mar, there is a big downhill and then a fairly short climb up to the top of Torrey Pines/UCSD.  From there you can head to Mission Bay or downtoownSan Diego, about 10-15 miles to go.  Google map the area for directions to where you want to end up, it gets a little confusing there.

2009-02-03 7:42 PM
in reply to: #1944069

User image

ChrisM - 2009-02-03 3:44 PM...

At the light at the bottom of a long down hill (Vandergrift maybe?) turn right, up the hill, exit Pendleton.  This part's a little hairy, continue back under the 5, and turn left at the first light.  You go up a little hill (Shell station I think)? 

Chevron, I think... clean bathrooms! 

2009-02-07 10:53 PM
in reply to: #1944069

i've done the ride before and it seems to sound more complicated when i read your directions.  but you're dead on, thanks for posting!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newport Beach to San Diego Ride Rss Feed