General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does it make sense for a fast 25-year old triathlete to lift? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-08 12:13 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-02-08 1:07 PM
in reply to: #1951319

Elite
Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Does it make sense for a fast 25-year old triathlete to lift?
I'm a big fan of lifting, but based on what you've written here, I'd said no. Especially since your current training schedule is like a part-teim job for some people.
2009-02-16 3:27 PM

Canfield, Ohio
I am a personal trainer and I had/have the same issue as you.....

I am 26 and are pretty much equal to you in a lot of ways. I am always confused if I should be lifiting or not. And if so when? Off-season? In-season? Once a week? Twice a week? Heavy? Light? Mad confusion....

So What I dediced on is a simple kind of lift twice a week...

I dont put any extra stress on my body that would hurt my training. The workout is a combination of strength exercise with stretch exercise. For Example: instead of during squats or leg press, I do 1-leg squats for no weight and do a HIGH amount of reps, instead of Bench Press I do push-ups, etc.

I call it Endurance Lifting. Its still strength exercising with results, but more benficial to triathletes. We won't get huge buldging biceps and pecs, but we dont need them....

Just a suggestion!
2009-04-01 9:54 AM

Regular
I have been doing a lot of low weight/high rep workouts at the gym. I try to isolate the muscles that don't get worked as much in training and also strengthen muscles that can be injured in triathlon activities, (hip flexors/extensors, glutes, and rotator cuff.) I have also tried to do a lot of core workouts because that will help any sport. I just turned 26 and my first tri is this summer so maybe all my workouts will be in vain but it helps in the other sports I play also.
2009-04-26 6:14 AM

Extreme Veteran
Severna Park, MD
as a former high school/college track runer, i can say that for me, it made a huge difference.  If nothing else, it was in the arms to hold form in the run.  I rarely lifted heavy and almost never did leg workouts.  Core and arms though will help you gain form in the run.  Im only 23 and I try to hit the gym for lifting, so you could say that I believe in it.  Do it for endurance though (lower weight, high rep count)

Disclaimer, I'm new to this sport (as in, a month or so!) but I did pretty well at my first even (won age group, 3rd overall) and my next event is in a week from today.  So I dont entirely know how weight training will effect this sport.
2009-04-26 6:14 AM

Extreme Veteran
Severna Park, MD
as a former high school/college track runer, i can say that for me, it made a huge difference.  If nothing else, it was in the arms to hold form in the run.  I rarely lifted heavy and almost never did leg workouts.  Core and arms though will help you gain form in the run.  Im only 23 and I try to hit the gym for lifting, so you could say that I believe in it.  Do it for endurance though (lower weight, high rep count)

Disclaimer, I'm new to this sport (as in, a month or so!) but I did pretty well at my first even (won age group, 3rd overall) and my next event is in a week from today.  So I dont entirely know how weight training will effect this sport.

2009-04-26 7:43 AM

Elite

It depends. If your goal is simply to get faster then no. If you want better all around fitness, then yes. It wont neccesarily make you any slower, but can help with recovery and general fitness.

One legged deadlifts are good. You can keep it simple, pushups, pullups, chinups,dips, good mornings. Or just focus on muscles that may not get used much. You use your shoulders a lot during swimming but only in one motion, not to the side. So you can focus like that. I would say do it minimally. At least thats what I do. I am just a bit slower than you, but I like to carry the groceries and plan with my daughter (also just a bit older).

2009-08-03 11:03 PM

I agree with adidas's post.  i do more pushups and high reps during the racing season.  in the winter months i may go up a little on the dumbells but only to build a solid foundation for the next season.
2009-10-08 4:49 AM

Veteran

I would never suggest against weight training but with your schedule/ability/goals it might be better for you to focus on your goals and improve your swimming. I do think that you could do work to strengthen your core, shoulders and legs that would benefit your swim. I think adding a couple sessions with kettelbells would help a lot.

Also squat more.

That said you are at a much higher level than I so I think you should trust yourself and how you feel doing that much volume. Lifting could be too much if not done sparingly.

Edited by TUEFELHUNDEN 2009-10-08 4:50 AM
2009-10-28 12:10 AM

Coach
Stairway to Seven
There's no evidence that doing weight work will make you (especially someone with your fitness base and training time) a faster triathlete.

To become a faster triathlete you really need to look into the specfic training you are doing for your HIM and if that training is specifically designed/periodized ot get you faster....are you training at various intensities with well structured intervals in a progressive fashion?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does it make sense for a fast 25-year old triathlete to lift? Rss Feed