General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hydration question for p2/p3 owners Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-09 9:36 PM

User image

Regular
Orchard Park
Subject: Hydration question for p2/p3 owners

I have just recently purchased a 09 Cervelo P2C Dura Ace.  This is my first triathlon specific bike so I have a few questions about hydration systems.  What I want is one bottle on the down tube and 2 on a rear hydration wing.  I absolutely do not want one that sits in the aero bars with a straw in it...so please don't waste your time suggesting that I buy one.  Here are my questions.

1. What is the best rear hydration setup?  I have been looking at the Sonic Wing from Xlab.

2. How well do the Xlab gorilla cages work on a rear wing?

3. Should I buy an aero bottle for the down tube?

Basically I was thinking I would get the sonic wing with gorilla cages and an other gorilla cage for the down tube.  That way I could always keep a full bottle on the down tube and I could place the empty bottles back on the rear wing.  But would it be bad to have a non "aero" bottle cage on the down tube.

I know this seems kind of like asking a question that I already know the answer to but I really have no clue what I want so I am asking for everyones help on this.

(BikeNew.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
BikeNew.JPG (27KB - 9 downloads)

2009-02-10 12:24 AM
in reply to: #1953813

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Hydration question for p2/p3 owners
1st, awesome bike.

2nd, that is a lot of water bottles.

are you training for IM?

personally i cant answer your behind the seat needs, i dont use one (tried, hated it).

agreed on the aerobottle, they were a pain to me.

i ended up going back to the one seat tube bottle (well down tube on this bike). for longer training i put a 2nd bottle in jersey pocket, if its really long or very very hot/long i will make a loop and get more water or refill along the way but this gets me through anything under 4 hours.

i'm sure others will chime in on the ups and downs of behind the seat holders. sorry i cant help more there
2009-02-10 5:23 AM

User image

New user
Kansas City Metro
I have heard a few complaints about the Sonic Wing in regards to how far away the bottles are to the rider.  I personally ride a P3C with the Hydrotail H5C.  Great system, and no bottle launching issues.  I don't have any experience with the X-lab cages.  I use the Specialized ribcage, which are the most solid cage I have found for rear mount hydration set ups.  Enjoy that new bike!
2009-02-10 8:42 AM
in reply to: #1953943

User image

Regular
Orchard Park

are you training for IM?

Well this year I am training for a HIM and I am hoping to get registered for IMLP in 2010.

2009-02-10 9:05 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I recently picked up a P2C as well, so congrats on the nice ride. 

For training, I think a rear system is necessary unless you have good access to "refueling stations" along the routes that you ride.  But for racing, I think one bottle is sufficient for most races (especially IM where aid stations are only ever ~10mi apart).  I don't like the drink straws up front either, but have considered putting a regular drink bottle horizontaklly between the aerobars (like this) in case I want to have a 2 bottle set-up for races where aid stations might be too far apart.

2009-02-10 10:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach, VA

I have the same bike.

I have this enroute:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/shop/product.php?productid=16528&cat=265&page=1

I also have a cage on the downtube. It's up to you if you want an aero bottle,the Profile Design aero bottle set up is 50 bucks, which is a bit steep for me. I choose not to because of my vast supply of free bottles and to keep things consistant with my road bike. Plus I am notorious in dropping water bottles as well.

2009-02-10 4:53 PM

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
I use the sonic wing and have the bottles pointed towards by back so easy to grab.
2009-02-10 5:15 PM
in reply to: #1954226

User image

Expert
Florida
X2 on the hydrotail's and beakerconcepts makes one specifically for Cervelo's as L45 already pointed out. AND their very affordable.
www.beakerconcepts.com

Edited by BeginnerMan 2009-02-10 5:16 PM
2009-02-10 5:48 PM
in reply to: #1954375

User image

Sensei
Sin City
DBautista - 2009-02-10 8:00 AM

I have the same bike.

I have this enroute:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/shop/product.php?productid=16528&cat=265&page=1

I also have a cage on the downtube. It's up to you if you want an aero bottle,the Profile Design aero bottle set up is 50 bucks, which is a bit steep for me. I choose not to because of my vast supply of free bottles and to keep things consistant with my road bike. Plus I am notorious in dropping water bottles as well.

I bought the the same thing and it works great.  I reused two profile design cages that were on my old profile design behind-the-seat setup.

I DO use the profile aero bottle for races, but leave it off the bike during training.  I like the cleaner look.  For the same reason, I don't put any cages on the downtube.

2009-02-11 10:19 AM

User image

New user

I have the X-lab and the $8 plactic x- lab cages ( recommended by BS MI) I don't have a ton of road miles w/ this setup as i got it late in the season. I try to keep my bottle cages empty so they don't stretch out between rides. Also for $16 to replace the cages I may concider buying a "race" set so I don't have to worry about bottle ejection, or put some extra rubber bands around the cage. 

I like the look and functionallity ie. spare tubes and CO2 storage however I can only say that I'm neutral about the setup of having to reach behind for a bottle. I find it harder to remember to drink since you have to come out of aero, reach back, drink, replace and get back aero. I am use to riding/drinking with a camelbak so I'm spoiled w/  the ease of hydration. After a winter or trainer rides I am getting more acustomed to the rear hydration. 

2009-02-16 8:29 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Derek1984 - 2009-02-09 10:36 PM

I have just recently purchased a 09 Cervelo P2C Dura Ace.  This is my first triathlon specific bike so I have a few questions about hydration systems.  What I want is one bottle on the down tube and 2 on a rear hydration wing.  I absolutely do not want one that sits in the aero bars with a straw in it...so please don't waste your time suggesting that I buy one.  Here are my questions.

1. What is the best rear hydration setup?  I have been looking at the Sonic Wing from Xlab.

2. How well do the Xlab gorilla cages work on a rear wing?

3. Should I buy an aero bottle for the down tube?

Basically I was thinking I would get the sonic wing with gorilla cages and an other gorilla cage for the down tube.  That way I could always keep a full bottle on the down tube and I could place the empty bottles back on the rear wing.  But would it be bad to have a non "aero" bottle cage on the down tube.

I know this seems kind of like asking a question that I already know the answer to but I really have no clue what I want so I am asking for everyones help on this.

I also have the P2, sweet bike, enjoy going fast!!!

I have the X-Lab Sonic wing. I like it, very versatile in bottle angle/placement. I have three gorilla cages, one on the down-tube, two on the wing. I keep the down-tube bottle as my active bottle, then replace with a bottle from the wing when empty (replacing a bottle is the only time I have to leave aero). I place the full bottle between the aero bars, drop the empty bottle into the wing, then place the full bottle on the down-tube as I go back aero. The gorilla cages hold bottles pretty well, unless you hit a rough bump, then you might have a bottle ejected. For the most part, they hold tight.

I have played around with my wing setup to fit what I like best. I noticed that with the wing straight back (the most aero position), I had issues swinging my leg over to dismount. So, I lowered it a tad, which solved that issue. I also have the X-nut to hold two CO2 bottles, so I moved the straps/tubs to the body of the wing from the rear connecting bolts. Yes, I know they are designed to mount there, but threading them through the two holes on the wing moves the tubs out of the way and you don't have a huge mass on the rear of the wing.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hydration question for p2/p3 owners Rss Feed