General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mountain Bike for first tri? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-11 7:57 AM

New user
Subject: Mountain Bike for first tri?

I'm going to do my first sprint tri this summer, but only have a mountain bike.  I'm thinking about doing at least my first (if not first few) on my mountain bike (with slick tires).  I definitely don't want to plunk down over $1K if I don't stick with this.

My main concern about using a mountain bike is a fear that riding on the mountain bike is what drags me down to a point that I'm discouraged from doing more.  I realize that a road/tri bike would be better.  What I don't know is how much more difficult will it be on a mountain bike.  How much easier/faster is a road/tri bike?

2009-02-11 8:02 AM
in reply to: #1956204

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Mountain Bike for first tri?

It will be much more difficult.  I have certainly seen excellent mountain bikers, but a road bike (light, good position) will be faster and at the very least less tiring for you.

There are about a zillion threads on this topic around BT and maybe you can try a search for more evidence.  I always say, though, that I bought my first road bike on Craigslist for $75 and we put about $50 into it.  And you can never have too many bikes, imho.

Since you already know a road bike is superior, and you can certainly manage with a mountain bike, this is in direct response to whether you will find it frustrating.  You will.

jtm3 - 2009-02-11 7:57 AM

I'm going to do my first sprint tri this summer, but only have a mountain bike.  I'm thinking about doing at least my first (if not first few) on my mountain bike (with slick tires).  I definitely don't want to plunk down over $1K if I don't stick with this.

My main concern about using a mountain bike is a fear that riding on the mountain bike is what drags me down to a point that I'm discouraged from doing more.  I realize that a road/tri bike would be better.  What I don't know is how much more difficult will it be on a mountain bike.  How much easier/faster is a road/tri bike?

2009-02-11 8:06 AM

User image

Expert
Mississippi

Hey, Welcome to BT.  Do a forum search and just put in the words 'mountain bike.'  There are a ton of the same questions.  And, the same answers almost every time.  

YES, you should go ahead and use your mountain bike with slick tires.  Absolutely.  I've known plenty of people to do their first few triathlons on mountain bikes.  Get to know if you like triathlon before you 'plunk down over $1K.'  I was lucky enough to pick up a road bike from a garage sale for $15 that got me through my first 5 or 6 events before I decided I wanted a tri-bike.  

2009-02-11 8:10 AM

User image

Expert
NoVA
I did my first sprint tri on a 15 year old MTB---read that as HEAVY---with slick tires.  I had trained with it all summer and was "used" to it.  Did I get passed by guys on $5K bikes?? Yup...did I pass guys on $5K bikes??  YUP....I was still able to average 20mph on a 20K bike leg.  Would I have been faster on a road bike or tri bike---yeah probably but I still ran a solid 5K and had a GREAT time competing in a triathlon...don't rush out and just buy a bike to buy a bike---use what you have (DO put the slicks on!!!)  and enjoy until you have some experience under your belt and you know WHAT type of bike you want (if you want to keep doing tri's.......).  
2009-02-11 8:13 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

It's not a problem doing it on a mountain bike.  Sprints have lots of beginners, and there will be other mountain bikes there.  There's no doubt that a road bike or tri bike is faster, but the enjoyment of the race will come down to your training.  You're probably not out to win the race, so it doesn't matter if your bike is slower.  If the course is hilly, that will exaggerate the speed difference of the road bike vs. the mountain bike.

In my first year, I did my first two races on a mountain bike for pretty much the same reason you said, and had a great time!  It was especially fun passing road bikes!  There also happened to be a mountain bike division, so I was racing against those bikes for placement. 

And as for a comparison, I did do one of those Sprint races again my 2nd year on a tri bike.  My bike time for 12 1/2 miles was roughly 4 minutes faster on the tri-bike vs. the mountain bike.  The speed difference was something like 19.5 mph vs. 17.5, and this was a hilly course.

2009-02-11 9:40 AM

User image

Master
syracuse

easier/harder?

depends on your perspective on easier/harder.

It is harder to go the same speed for the same amount of energy on a MTB vs. a road bike.

It won't be any harder because you only can exert x amount of energy, and that depends on what kind of shape you are in.  lets jsut assume that translates to 15 mph on a MTB and 20 mph and a road bike.  Of course it is going to be harder on the MTB to go 20 mph, but you cannot look at it that way as it's apples and oranges.  If you want to palce in a race, it's not going to happen on a MTB.

I rode a MTB in 3 training races last eyar, and it didn't discourage me from coming back.  All it did wan encourage me to get a tri bike.

I didn't even swap out the tires and had a blast--I could not wait until the next one.

2009-02-11 10:04 AM

User image

Regular
New York City
I would also stick with your mountain bike until you know that you want to compete regularly.

My own experience is very similar to Skippy74's post. In fact competing on a mountain bike actually turned out to be really positive for me as I went into the bike leg with no expectation that I would perform that well and then found myself passing many expensive-looking tri bikes on the course. I tell you, there is nothing more satisfying than steaming past a carbon tri bike when you're on a mountain bike. Of course the downside is that this makes you so confident in your cycling ability that you end up spending double your budget on your new tri bike (at least that's what happened to me!)

When I did move from old steel mountain bike with slicks to properly fitted carbon tri bike my average speed on a gently rolling course immediately jumped from about 19.5mph to 22 mph but this gap widens when there are longer / steeper descents where the aero qualities of the tri bike makes it considerably faster in my experience.

Go race and enjoy,

Phil.
2009-02-11 11:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
I just did my first tri last Sunday on my beat up Trek 3900 with slicks.  I was self conscious for sure going in and on the day of the race when I saw all these nice bikes.  But, as I was taking off out of the transition these kids were standing on the curb watching, one of them says "that guy is on a mountain bike too" and his friend says "awesome."  That was cool.  I think the point is that you are out there doing it, not so much your equipment, unless you are looking to compete instead of just finish.  Ditto what the other posts said about passing people on expensive road bikes, that makes ya' feel pretty good.  I will be getting a road bike in the next few months to use for my upcoming tris, I too wanted to be sure I liked the whole tri experience.  Good luck in your first race!!
2009-02-11 1:27 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Most tri's have a Fat-tire division so you can race against those doing the same.  I did FT for my first year, 2 sprints and an Oly, then bought a used RB and then a year later finally bought a TB as I was hooked.

My biggest increase in speed came from using a combination of tires with a slick center bead and blocks on the side for some trail riding and increasing my pedal rate from ~ 70 to more like 90.  With a couple of months to go and some dedication to training you'll be fine.  Get a speedo with a candence function, ~$30-35, Cateye has a good wired unit.

2009-02-11 2:53 PM
in reply to: #1956991

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Port Richey, FL
Donto - 2009-02-11 2:27 PM

Most tri's have a Fat-tire division

It's that way around here, but if you have slicks, you're in the age groups. Fat tire is open ONLY to bikes with knobby tires. FWIW, a good friend of mine will be doing a sprint this summer on his single speed 29er mountain bike.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mountain Bike for first tri? Rss Feed