General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To taper or not to taper??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-11 5:55 PM

User image

Lexington, SC
Subject: To taper or not to taper???
I guess that this is not really the question, but WHY? and How long?

I am a novice, but have completed a few sprints and a couple of olympic distances, but am preparing for my first 1/2 IM this fall. Everyone talks about tapering, and I can deduce what they mean, but they never say HOW or HOW LONG.

So, what is an appropriate taper for a 1/2 IM event? Does this mean that there should be no long distance training during this period? Or can you work a few in strategically along the way?

Thanks for your input.

Todd

Edited by cycle_todd 2009-02-11 5:56 PM

2009-02-11 6:01 PM
in reply to: #1957567

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: To taper or not to taper???

While training, you are constantly tearing the body down and rebuilding.  That's what makes you stronger.  In essence, you are always in a state of 'under repair'.  The taper lets you rest, repair the body, maximize your strength.  The longer the race, the longer the taper (due to the fact that longer races have you doing more training).

I would typically see a week taper for a HIM.  That does NOT mean you sit on your butt and do nothing.  It usually just mean a significant reduction of training time AND a reduction of workout intensity.  You could still easily put in 4-6 hours of training, but at a recovery effort.

2009-02-11 6:06 PM

User image

Expert
New York
I used to think that meant a reduction in volume AND intensity, but had recently read somewhere (forget where) that you're supposed to reduce only volume, but still work as hard as usual...
2009-02-11 6:10 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Tapering is nothing more than reducing training load enough to allow your body to recover while doing enough to sustain the maximum amount of gained fitness. Every time you train you get fitter but you also can get proportionally more fatigue. Think it like this, every time you train you earn fitness and fatigue points. Usually fatigue points worth more than fitness point but fitness points linger longer than fatigue ones. IOW you get more tired after a session but you recover faster and the adaptation gains (fitness) will last longer.

The reasoning behind tapering is that you want to keep as much fitness as you have achieved during months of training but at the same time get rid of as much of the accumulated fatigue. When you taper you get rid of that fatigue but you can also start losing some of your hard earned fitness hence while the volume is diminished we still perform some intensity to generate enough load to ‘maintain’ your fitness while allowing your body to recover at the same time.

When you taper is because your main goal is to perform at your very best on race day. You are allowing your body to recover while maintaining your hard earned fitness. When athlete race with partial or no tapering it just means that while they still will strive for the best possible performance on race day given their current fitness level + chronic fatigue, the result won't be as good as if they were rested.

Since athletes can only achieve a few top peak performances (max) every season, that’s why they allocate priorities to races labeling A, B, C races. The A races are those in which the athlete will taper 100% in hopes to achieve peak performance, B races are those in which the athlete will taper partially to achieve a solid performance and C races are those in which the athlete won’t taper, still a good performance might be desired but not granted.

Tapering is very personal hence while fitter athletes can taper for shorter period because their bodies tend to recover faster still they tend to train more hence they might end up needing more days to recover. Less trained athletes might need more days to recover due to their lesser fitness however since usually they tend to train less they might be race ready in lesser tapering days.

In the end, tapering for you will vary based on your fitness, experience, genes, etc. If you are following a plan just follow it and while training pay attention how fast or not you recover from hard/long sessions. Somewhere along training you’ll learn how much tapering you’ll need. Good luck!

2009-02-11 6:15 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

The other part of proper training loads and tapering is that when you taper you continue to eat the same way you would during your normal training weeks.  By the time you hit race day your glycogen stores are at their max.  THAT is what "carbo loading" really is ... not what people usually associate with the term.  You will have a much better chance of enhancing your glycogen storage system by properly taxing/replenishing your system through your training and then storing up for the big day by just eating the same way you always do during your regular training.  Yes, you gain a little weight.  That is quite alright and normal.

So to sum up ...... two benefits of proper training load and tapering.

1) Come into the race fully prepped and rested to give your maximum effort for that distance.

2) Allows your body to store in the nutrients it needs for that same maximum effort without turning into a glutton (which doesn't increase your glycogen stores in the first place).

2009-02-11 6:23 PM
in reply to: #1957591

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Daremo - 2009-02-11 4:15 PM

The other part of proper training loads and tapering is that when you taper you continue to eat the same way you would during your normal training weeks.  By the time you hit race day your glycogen stores are at their max.  THAT is what "carbo loading" really is ... not what people usually associate with the term.  You will have a much better chance of enhancing your glycogen storage system by properly taxing/replenishing your system through your training and then storing up for the big day by just eating the same way you always do during your regular training.  Yes, you gain a little weight.  That is quite alright and normal.

So to sum up ...... two benefits of proper training load and tapering.

1) Come into the race fully prepped and rested to give your maximum effort for that distance.

2) Allows your body to store in the nutrients it needs for that same maximum effort without turning into a glutton (which doesn't increase your glycogen stores in the first place).

Another good point.  'Carbo loading' is 3-4 days prior to a race.  Not eating a big plate of pasta the night before an event.

2009-02-12 7:11 AM

Extreme Veteran
OKC
The WHY is to freshen up for a race.

The HOW is variable and highly individual, but I've found a simple approach the best. Keep the frequency + intensity, but slash the volume in half the week prior. About 5 days for me, but I will have held my peak weeks for at least 3 weeks before I taper. That means I've adapted somewhat to the workouts I'm doing right before I race, i.e. they are much less stressful.

So a:
20' easy + 60' moderate + 20' easy run
would turn into:
10' easy + 30' moderate + 10' easy run

Likewise a:
bike 4 x [12' hard + 3' easy] + run [15' hard + 10' easy] brick
would turn into a:
bike 2 x [12' hard + 3' easy] + run [10' hard + 5' easy] brick

2009-02-12 7:19 AM
in reply to: #1957607

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Aikidoman - 2009-02-11 7:23 PM
Another good point.  'Carbo loading' is 3-4 days prior to a race.  Not eating a big plate of pasta the night before an event.

Hydration also start 3-4, possibly 5 days out from a race. The body is not like a camel where it an soak up large amount of liquid in one day. Proper hydration for a race takes days to achieve.
2009-02-12 7:38 AM

User image

Runner
Some people respond better to a reduction in intensity, but little reduction in volume.
2009-02-12 1:06 PM

User image

Lexington, SC
Thanks everyone - that all makes alot of sense.

I assume then that a proper taper means to decrease the volume, not the intensity. Got it.

I currently train about 8-10 hours per week, but will increase that to 10-14 hours this spring and summer. My HIM is late September, then I suppose the taper should start early Sept.

Follow-up question.

If I am attempting a second HIM six weeks after the first, would you recommend going straight from recovery to another taper? Or have a very brief period (2-3 days) of normal training and an abbreviated taper for the second event?

2009-02-12 1:15 PM
in reply to: #1959104

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

cycle_todd - 2009-02-12 1:06 PM Thanks everyone - that all makes alot of sense. I assume then that a proper taper means to decrease the volume, not the intensity. Got it. I currently train about 8-10 hours per week, but will increase that to 10-14 hours this spring and summer. My HIM is late September, then I suppose the taper should start early Sept. Follow-up question. If I am attempting a second HIM six weeks after the first, would you recommend going straight from recovery to another taper? Or have a very brief period (2-3 days) of normal training and an abbreviated taper for the second event?
not necessarily as Scout pointed out the opposite works as well, it just depends on what would work best for you as I said on my OP. if you recover faster from a 4 hrs steady ride than from a 1 hr threshold ride then you have your answer; keep volume at low intensity. If you recover faster from the 1 hr effort then reduce volume while keeping some intensity. Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To taper or not to taper??? Rss Feed