General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike store -> saddle fitting Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-13 4:59 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: bike store -> saddle fitting
Anybody know of a bike store in the Raleigh area that does saddle fits? I've read in other BT threads how some stores do a special saddle fiting, where you sit on something that makes and impression of your butt, and based on that, a saddle fitter can help you find a good saddle.

I've been having saddle related butt pain issues since basically last spring, and am finally admitting defeat...tried adjusting the saddle, different lubes, different shorts, and lots of good old fashioned HTFU. I thought eventually my butt would adapt, but it just ain't happening! WAH, someone call the wahmbulance!

2009-02-14 5:24 PM
in reply to: #1961487

Veteran
NC
Subject: RE: bike store -> saddle fitting
Cycling Spoken Here in Cary has a series of saddles from bontrager that are fitted with the "assometer."  They used to only have men's saddles associated with the assometer system, so you may want to call and see what they have in the way of women's saddles.
2009-02-24 5:48 PM
in reply to: #1961487

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Thanks for the suggestion. I never made it out to Cary, but I did stop in the Bicycle Chain in Chapel hill today. They also have an assometer. I brought my old saddles and described my problems to the guy there.

They ordered me the Specialized TriGel saddle with 40 cm narrower nose. They had the 50cm one in stock. If I don't like it they'll take it back. I loved my old Specialized saddle on my road bike, and this new one is sort of a cross between that old saddle, and the tri-bike problematic saddle...so hopefully it will work.

The only other brand saddle they carried besides Specialized was Fizik, and they only had one model, which did not have a cutout, and i really think i need a cutout. I might try to shop around this weekend at other stores. It would be nice to see some other brands.

So, that's my saddle saga. Crossing my fingers, as I've been HTFUing thru butt issues on and off for six months, since getting the tri bike. I thought you were supposed to develop a hard a$$ any time you get a new bike/saddle. The sales guy said no, you aren't.

Edit...funny, the forum screened out a$$ but not assometer.

Edited by keyone 2009-02-24 6:05 PM
2009-02-25 11:31 AM
in reply to: #1980077

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
Curious - I've never had an issue with my saddle so I haven't had to spend any time researching them.  What is the benefit of the cut-out and why do you say that it is something you think you really need?
2009-02-25 1:45 PM
in reply to: #1981280

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
jkholden - 2009-02-25 12:31 PM

Curious - I've never had an issue with my saddle so I haven't had to spend any time researching them. What is the benefit of the cut-out and why do you say that it is something you think you really need?

Well, um, when I tried my new tri bike out with the stock saddle, which has no cutout, it hurt my sensitive middle girly parts like hell. I couldn't tolerate that for even 2 minutes.

For guys, I think the cutout prevents pinching a nerve that on longer rides can lead to numbness in their male parts. Can't say for sure about that, tho, LOL!
2009-02-27 11:56 AM
in reply to: #1980077

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC

You do know that you live within minutes of one of the largest and most premiere triathlon stores in the country, Inside out Sports, in Cary, don't you?

They're a great bunch and can help you out.  I would advise bringing in cash and leaving the credit cards at home though.  That place can be a real crack house to people like use.  Daaaaaangerouuuuus!

Tongue out

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike store -> saddle fitting Rss Feed