General Discussion Triathlon Talk » fuel/hydration plan for a looong run? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-10 8:23 AM

Canberra, Australia
Subject: fuel/hydration plan for a looong run?
hey this weekend i will be doing an untra distance running/orrientering race this weekend overnight about 80km depending on how good our navigator is, starting about 10pm finish at around 7am so its not fast, and was wondering what sort of foods would be good to take we have to take 2kg's of food and at least 3L of water/sports drink (the pack weighs about 16kg's). i was thinking of taking some of those energy gels but have never tried them so dont know how my body will react. what do the iron men eat because this is a similar time length. does anyone have any ideas on nutrition for this sort of event any help would be great thx.

2004-03-10 8:35 AM
in reply to: #11608

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-03-10 8:43 AM

Canberra, Australia
Subject: RE: fuel/hydration plan for a looong run?
yeah its sound really good, they blind fold you then take you out on a bus to some location x and you have to figure out where you are then run back to uni, in teams of 4. The top division is about 120km :-O (just under 3 marathons, more for some who choose a bad route or get lost). i have never run more than 30k's in my life though so hopefully i will survive.
2004-03-10 8:55 AM

Champion
Remember the cardinal rule of racing. Never try anything new just for the event. You wouldn't buy a brand new pair of running shoes the day before, so I would make sure whatever you eat is something that you know for certain will not bother your system during exercise. I've used the gels before, but they seem to lack substance. For a longish event like that, you want something that is easily digestable, has simple packaging (you won't eat it if it's difficult to open on the run), and is easy to carry. I've always had good luck with certain foods not bothering me during long distance events, such as bicycling a century or double century. Peanut butter/crackers, bananas (despite the hassles with peeling them), soft granola bars (hate the hard to chew ones). Raisins and dried dates are good becuase I can reach into a bag or pocket and grab a handful. The secret is constant snacking, keep the "gas tank" full, so to speak. Better to do it that way than a lot of food at one shot.

Have a good race and let us know how it goes.

Max
2004-03-10 10:44 AM
in reply to: #11617

New user
Dallas, TX
I second the rule about never trying anything new before a race that you haven't done in training. That includes eating, drinking, clothing, and particularly distance. If you've never run farther than 30k, then 80k is going to seem like a long way.

However, when I run 50k's my biggest concern is hydration. Be sure to take water at regular intervals - 8 ounces every 20 minutes or so. I use Goo's when I run, because the thought of eating a power bar when running is completely out of the question. However, at 80k distance, you just can't live on Goo alone. Try the bars, and traditional trail snacks. I also take electrolyte pills on any run over 25 miles. I'm large for a trail runner, and find I need the salt replacement becasue I sweat a lot. I know current philosophy is to not take the electrolyte pills, but they really seem to help me.

Take an extra pair of socks. 20 miles in wet socks is no fun.

Have fun, and let us know how it went.

Bro-
2004-03-10 10:50 AM

Regular
Ontario
Food tolerance is a huge factor, especially if you plan on eating manly the same things over 80km.
I have used Hammer Gel instead of the more popular Power Gel or GU because you can dilute into your water and mix it and as such get more out of it before you are sick of it. I also brought a zip lock bag of Vector cereal, again because it is easy to handle, I can digest it on the go and it is light.
Good luck!

2004-03-10 12:22 PM

Master
Berkeley, CA
I definitely agree with the 'don't let the tank get empty' rule. Eat regularly, even if it's just a bit. Don't ask yourself if you are hungry, ask yourself how much time has passed! --because even if your brain doesn't think so, your body definitely is!

Dana
2004-03-10 1:01 PM

Veteran
budapest, hungary.
hi. i served in the army for 3 years (rangers) , the best thing that help me at distances over 60km, was dried apricots (hope i writed it correctly) , and dates. at those kind of distances it does not matter so much ,you get you to it as your body burns only fatty acids.
drink a lot ,all the time.
good luck.
2004-03-10 6:07 PM

Champion
Gold member

for what its worth, some ironman fuel/hydration tips:  not sure how well it translates to pure running.

Ironman Fuel and Hydration Tips

GOOD LUCK!...definitely wanna hear all about it...just hope u dont get the dejavu feeling of 'havent we been here before?'

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » fuel/hydration plan for a looong run? Rss Feed