General Discussion Triathlon Talk » LBS Loyalty | Buy New vs. Used Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-15 7:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: LBS Loyalty | Buy New vs. Used
I'm a tri newbie and I currently ride a 12 year QR Kilo with shimano 600 (that's right Shimano 600) components. I'm ready for a new ride but don't really want to drop thousands on the latest greatest, I just want a bike born in the new millenium. My big race for the year is FL 70.3.

I go to my LBS about every two months and check out the inventory. I really want to support the LBS, but I find that if you are not picky (or elite) you can find some pretty sick deals on ebay relative to what you can buy new.

Aside from the potential sizing problem are there other major arguments in support of buying at LBS?

*by the way, I am holding the person who started the "show me your ride" thread responsible for my latest ebay surfing.

2009-02-15 8:14 PM
in reply to: #1963538

User image

Expert
Lake in the Hills, IL
Subject: RE: LBS Loyalty | Buy New vs. Used
dpeeples - 2009-02-15 7:10 PM

I'm a tri newbie and I currently ride a 12 year QR Kilo with shimano 600 (that's right Shimano 600) components. I'm ready for a new ride but don't really want to drop thousands on the latest greatest, I just want a bike born in the new millenium. My big race for the year is FL 70.3.

I go to my LBS about every two months and check out the inventory. I really want to support the LBS, but I find that if you are not picky (or elite) you can find some pretty sick deals on ebay relative to what you can buy new.

Aside from the potential sizing problem are there other major arguments in support of buying at LBS?

*by the way, I am holding the person who started the "show me your ride" thread responsible for my latest ebay surfing.

I would like to start off by saying with the way the economy is these days I think many people are finding ways to cut costs. By buying at a LBS you will get free tune ups usually and you also have the comfort of knowing that if something goes wrong you have somewhere to go to. Also some places will throw in a free fitting (especially these days). Although if you bought a used one a fitting is only around $50.00 and if you are mechanically inclined you could maintain your own bike. The thing that has always made me worry about buying a used bike is if the frame is damaged. But if you can look at it first and ride it then I see no reason to buy new. But, then again, I am king of the cheap a$$'s.
2009-02-15 8:25 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

I go to a LBS for all my tune-ups and clothing, nutrition, etc.  They've done fittings for me and helped me out with lots of things for my bike.  But, when I bought a tri bike, I did end up getting it used.  They have been really understanding about the situation and got my fit set up on the new bike and everything.

Sizing is a pretty big issue.  The guy at my store told me I could check with him to see if the bike was the right size. 

2009-02-15 8:59 PM

User image

Champion
MA

It is nice to have a good relationship with a bike shop or two..I have good relationship with 4 different shops. I shop at all of them and on line too.

I considered buying my tri bike on line new but the local shop made it more attractice. Comparing new local to used ebay is like apples and pears..similar but different.

Ask the bike shop what they have in your price range. Go to other bike shops. Some discount last years bikes by $100-200 others much much more.

Big dollar purchase means shop around more and educate yourself.

Buying a great bike at a super deal on Ebay that doesn't fit is useless. Fit rules in buying a bike..hard to do that on line.

2009-02-15 9:07 PM

User image

Expert
I was fit (frame size) at my LBS and bought online.  I got a superior entry-level bike for $400 less online (new), than the entry level bike at the LBS.  My LBS had a holier-than-thou attitude, which is what drove me online.  After buying online, I've never had an issue with maintenance, ect. 
2009-02-16 10:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denton
Honestly, it depends on the shop.  If they're really supportive and helpful... I would still say buy the bike online, but go to them for everything else.  They'll understand.  If they're know-it-all jerks (which, unfortunately, happens occasionally), then buy the bike and everything else that you can online.  The owner of the shop I go to is pretty understanding of the fact that they don't carry everything I need as a triathlete, and even pointed me to Shimano for my new shoes - though that isn't a brand he carries.  However, others from the shop will occasionally get that holier-than-thou attitude, which sometimes keeps me away.

2009-02-16 3:36 PM

New user

As long as you are taking the bike into them for maintenance, tune-ups, etc. and you are getting your accessories from them, your LBS is still going to make plenty of money from you over the long run. 

2009-02-16 4:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

We have purchased our last four Treks from a local bike shop in the past five years or so.  Prior to that, we purchased two Giant mountain bikes from another bike shop in town.  In both cases, we have been provided unbelievably excellent after sale support. Maybe everyone does not need this kind of support, but I most certainly do.

Put me down for buying at the LBS.

2009-02-16 4:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hattiesburg, MS

I am fixin to buy a bike myself.  There is only 2 bike shops in my area.  I go to one in particular about once a month to take a look around.  They only sell Specialized and Cervelo.  They have redunkless deals going on right now.  The head guy was like I have looked and there is only one other place online that has a lower price by 100 dollars.  The guy has done tri's since the early 80s.  He was schooling me on everything there is to know about Cervelo.  Then he went on about how he does his fitting and who he has studied under about fitting.  Then he goes on and tells me all but 3 of his clients are clydesdale.  That was our last conversation and he pretty much sold me on a P2 (which was the bike I was gonna get anyway).    Anywho all the guys up there are good guys and know there stuff!     So I say buy local support your local economy.

2009-02-16 5:49 PM
in reply to: #1965115

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I got my first bike online, and had no issue.  I did used an online fitting program, and reviewed LOTS of specs on the bikes I was looking at, and found some that would work.  It ended up fine (but it was a bike that was <$1000).

When I got my better bike, I felt more comfortable spending the $2500 at the LBS because they would exchange it if the fit didn't work, and included a fitting, a couple tune ups, etc....  Plus they specialize in Cervelo, so I knew where to take it for more than basic maintenance.  I can do it all, but figure I would leave it to the professionals if it was a serious fix.

Edited by Aikidoman 2009-02-16 5:50 PM
2009-02-16 6:42 PM

User image

Carrollton, TX
I buy more stuff online than any other person I know, but I have bought nearly all of my cycling stuff at the local bike shops (mtb at one, and a roadie at another, and my tri bike will be bought next year).  The way I see it, is it would be terrible if they were to go out of business and I wouldn't have such a great resource to go to check out the latest stuff as well as get the first-hand customer service.   I know that is taking a far stance since I'm just one customer, but I value what they have to offer in terms of having a hands-on resource to go and try stuff out, not to mention that face-to-face service that you can't possibly get online.  That said, I have always had enjoyable experiences at the bike shops I've gone to, large and small.

2009-02-16 7:01 PM

User image

Master

Dave,

I love buying used bikes!  Here's my history.

In college I watched the 1999 TDF...after hearing about this Lance guy I just had to ride.  Within a few weeks I found myself at LBS buying a  Lemond Chambery on consignment...with the 600.  I paid $900 and I still have the 600 to this day!  The only thing I have upgraded on it is the seat and the wheels.

Later that year my boss was selling his (prob 6 months old) Merlin mountain bike...he paid well into the $4,s for it and I picked it up for $1800 

Fast forward to this year when I waited and waited and waited for the right deal to pop up on CL.  My thought process this time was that I wanted a higher end bike but didn't want to spend more than $3K.  Saw some Cervelo P2s...liked em...but secretly wanted the P3.  Then one day, I found this barely used BLINGmobile...for $2500

So keep looking...CL might just work out great for you.

2009-02-16 7:10 PM

New user
I bought my tri bike, my roadie, and my MTB all used from CL.  However, I take them in to my LBS for tune-ups, maintenance, fitting, etc... and they treat me right.  The owner told me they make more off labor than they do selling bikes, anyways.  I did buy my wife's road bike new from them because she is short and finding a WSD roadie in her size used was not working out.  She got a fitting, 4 free tune-ups and 10-20% all accessories for it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » LBS Loyalty | Buy New vs. Used Rss Feed