General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sun Allergy - Any advise?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-17 7:38 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: Sun Allergy - Any advise??

Hello,

We had a couple of nice days over the weekend and the weekend before. Warm and sunny. So I went for an outside bicyle ride w/ a sleeveless top on. After the first time I noticed a rash to spred over my upper arms. After last weekend, it even spreads back to my shoulders and on my chest. The first time I had a sleeveless top on that covers the chest and also the shoulders and last weekend I was wearing a top that exposed shoulders and some chest too... That's why I am thinking, it might be sun allergy.... I was wearing sunscreen!

Any adivse on how to get rid of it?? I was reading, that beta-carotine supplements might help.... Any experience??

2009-02-17 10:51 PM
in reply to: #1965813

User image

Colorado
Subject: RE: Sun Allergy - Any advise??

You may want to visit your doctor or dermatologist.  I have Lupus and get rashes in the sun (and my heart rate goes up).  I have several different steroid creams and ointments that are prescription and based on where you put them.  (Some can't go on face or armpits for example.)  I use those ahead of time, wear long sleeves/pants whenever I can, hat, sunscreen, and get out of the sun ASAP after my races.  I typically train at night or in the gym.  I don't mean to scare you by any means, as I'm sure many things can cause a photosensitivity, but my understanding is that you should see someone if you are consistently reacting to sunlight in that way.

2009-02-18 10:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota, Florida
Some drugs can also cause a reaction to sunlight while you're taking them.  I know of a couple of antibiotics and I'm sure there's plenty others that do the same thing.  Keep that in mind if you've been taking any medications recently.
2009-02-18 2:17 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

This is the first time that I had a rash like this and I am not taking any medication.... The doc appointment is already scheduled for next Tuesday, so we'll see. And so far I will just wear things with sleeves.

Thanks for your input!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sun Allergy - Any advise?? Rss Feed