General Discussion Triathlon Talk » first bike purchase Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-17 8:55 PM

User image

New user

Subject: first bike purchase
im looking into purchasing a bike in april.  between now and then i will be trying to test out a few to see what best suits me.  im new to the bike world so i dont know much about them.  what is the differance in road bikes and tri bikes?  what brands should i consider up to the $1500 range? 

2009-02-17 10:42 PM
in reply to: #1967475

User image

Expert
Columbus
Subject: RE: first bike purchase

There was a great Giant featured in Bicycling this month in your range.

However - being CHEAP i was looking for $1500 or less and wound up buying a Schwinn Prelude off the rack in Target ($178).  I finished 13th overall in my first tri winning my age group and second overall in my second tri on this bike.  Granted I am a Runner and Swimmer first but I think the thing with the bike is it is YOUR weight and YOUR engine not the weight of the bike or type of components that is most important.

Edited by bruehoyt 2009-02-17 10:43 PM
2009-02-18 10:30 AM

User image

Master
North Alabama

I'm no expert, but I can lend a little info from my shopping.

I just recently purchased a Specialized Allez Sport and got out for $1300. It has the Shimano 105 components and seems to be all I need for starting out. That was my first road bike that I've ever purchased. Before my first tri, I'll put aero bars on it, and maybe change out the wheels. But for now, it gets me on the road and helps me train.

If you're just in the market, I'd steer clear of the tri bikes for now and think about aero bars on the road bike. The road bike will get you out riding and help you get miles. The tri bike will be extremely uncomfortable for new riders (or at least that's what all the LBS told me).

Most importantly, try them out. I bet I rode a dozen different bikes before settling. Some were cheaper, some were more expensive too. All about fit and feel.

2009-02-18 10:51 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Myers, Florida
I recently bought my first bike as well, I got a Scattante 560 from performance bike.  This brand is their in house brand but it comes with solid components(shimano 105 everthing shifters, front and rear derailers, etc) for a great value, bike was 800 bucks and most other brands with these components are in the $1500 range.  The frame is built by Fuji so I'm told. I've got about 700 miles on it so far and am enjoying it, a great value!  I upgraded the tires but that's about it so far.  The only thing I still need to do and would recommend is get a good fit for it... good luck!
2009-02-24 4:14 PM

Pennsylvania
My first bike was an entry level Cannondale for ~800.00.  I love it.  I was wooed over the internet and very impulsively bought a Cervelo tri bike for a complete steal.  I can definitely feel the difference in the ride, but it was very clear to me I have a WHOLE lot to learn before I can ride the Cervelo.  get yourself a nice entry level road bike, stay in your budget.  learn to ride and RIDE WELL, you can always upgrade components as you feel the need...then, when you have lots of experience, go get some sexy tri-bike.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » first bike purchase Rss Feed