in reply to: #2004629

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-03-09 8:29 AM
in reply to: #2004688

Veteran
Subject: RE: 30 Day Nutrition Challenge
Zilla - 2009-03-08 10:50 AM

craftyazgal - 2009-03-08 8:36 AM Dried fruit and nuts are easy to pack too.

Dried nuts are easy to pack.  Heh.  (had to go there, just had to

You would have to take it there wouldn't you.

2009-03-09 9:14 AM
in reply to: #1967623

Veteran

So I got back to logging yesterday. I did a little better with choices up until my Gardettos for a snack and mcdonalds for dinner.

My body is telling me it does not appreciate how I have eaten the last few days. I feel better when I eat more vegetarian foods and I wake up feeling sick to my stomach if I eat too much meat. My stomach is telling me I have been consuming too much animal protein. Okay, I'm waiting for the juvenile comments on this one At least you guys give me something to laugh at when I log on at work

I think I may have a fruit smoothie for breakfast and make some black bean salad for lunch. I know I'm having pizza for dinner because I'm riding my bike up to my daughter's friends and family night where she works before their grand opening tomorrow.

2009-03-09 10:56 AM

Elite
Mesa, AZ
Sorry I have not updated the spreadhseet over the weekend *bad Jen* will do it now!!!

2009-03-09 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2003549

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
riorio - 2009-03-07 7:32 AM

I have a question, seeing as you guys seem way more knowledgeable about nutrition than me! In logging my nutrition, I notice that I eat a lot of bars, like Powerbar, Odwalla, Cliff etc. (sometimes 2 or 3 2 per day) As the weather heats up I seem to drink more sports drinks (Gatorade, Heed) and I also eat gels during and before some workouts. So, my question is how much is too much of those? I guess I always considered them "healthy" snacks but I am using them a lot outside of training. I work in a classroom all day and have very little time to sit down and eat so they are a convenient way of getting calories/nutrition quickly. Anyone have ideas for snacks that still provide good nutrition but are not so "pre-packaged"???

BTW, this nutrition logging has been good, I have never really paid attention to what I eat or where my nutrition is coming from. I think I eat too much fat (and definitely too much peanut butter!)

TIA

Gu is 100 calories, all from carbs (Maltodextrin), which breaks down into glucose easily. Clif maple has 240 calories with 42g carbs, and 20g of sugar.

They aren't bad snacks, but if you aren't working out soon, then all that sugar/glucose will cause insulin spikes, and especially if you are sedentary, it gets stored instead of used.

Apples, raisins with nuts, dried fruits (But be careful with those, it's easy to eat 6 or 7 dried peaches and get a ton of fructose and have the same effect), celery with peanut butter, PB&J sandwich, string cheese, they are all pretty portable decent snacks.

Once in a while is fine for the bars, etc. but not sure about a steady diet/meal replacement plan.

As far as the sports drinks, they pack a ton of sugar usually as well.  Gatorade endurance looks like it has 50 cals and 14g of sugar. (Which doesn't add up, 14g of sugar is 56 cals). Heed looks better, it's 100 cals  with only 2g of sugars. But, it's also maltodextrin based which is just a precursor to sugar. (I use fructose, glucose, etc. as synonyms to sugar, even though they aren't exactly the same. They just produce a lot of the same effects)

I like powerade zero, I'll mix that 50/50 with water for most of my riding/training. Gu's never seemed like they did much for me, and I haven't really experimented with infinIT yet. But, I would be sparing in how much I used any of them for non training supplementation. 

John 

2009-03-09 12:40 PM

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Thanks for the advice guys. Unfortunatley I hate dried fruit But I will pack up some almonds and some regular fruit instead of the bars this week and see how it goes.

Yesterday was a nutritional disaster for me, it was hard to post it all, ha!   

2009-03-11 1:00 AM

Elite
Mesa, AZ
Sally - today was a disaster for me...ugh. Will be interesting to see if I GAIN this week. According to my logging from this week compared to last I SHOULD!

Police Report 3/6-9

3/6
ktriathlete
Zilla
Adam0778

3/7
StandsWithFist
ktriathlete
Zilla
Adam0778*

3/8
StandsWithFist
ktriathlete
Zilla
Adam0778

3/9
StandsWithFist
ktriathlete
Zilla
craftazgal*

*First time offender

Sorry for my slacking!!! I should change my avatar to failed for not updating for so long. BUT I did log! Be sure to let us know that you did indeed change your avatar to failed in accordance with the challenge and get back on the horse! We are almost to the end people! 10 more days!!!

We have 4 people who are PERFECT:
Robot
Jerry
Milton
Sally

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK EVERYONE!!!!!
2009-03-11 8:53 AM

Veteran

The problem I've been having is I've been having things I have no idea how much I consumed or how to count it.

For example, my daughter started a job at a new pizza place and they had friends and family night on Monday before their grand opening last night.  It was buffet. I have no idea how many pieces I ate. 

I'll steal my post from the weight loss challenge. Yesterday looked like:

2 slices white bread (I hate it but didn't get to the store for the good bread yet), 1 T pb, 1 T jelly, 1 Cup milk

I get to the office and they have the coffee barista lady in and bagels and cream cheese. Well it doesn't matter that I've already eaten breakfast. I need a hot chocolate (which tasted more like warm milk with a hint of chocolate flavor-disappointing to say the least) and a bagel with cream cheese.

Now I am full but about an hour later I feel a need for something refreshing so I have some grapes.

Now it's about 3 hours since I had the first bagel but I don't like what is in my lunch bag so I have another one with cream cheese (at least it was light cream cheese) and a half of a dry cinnamon chip one.

Okay the body is wondering what's up with all the bread stuff so I consume my bag of baby carrots, and a tangerine while driving to job #2.

On the way to swim I ate 1/2 a banana and ate the other half after.

I get home and I'm hungry so for dinner (my family thinks I'm on strike for cooking but I've just been busy) I eat a 4 oz roll that I cut up and spread light butter on and sprinkle with parmesan and garlic and put under the broiler. I do have some carrots and ranch with it. After this I'm still feeling hungry (or maybe just want something else) so I have a glob of pb (2-3 T I'm guessing) in a bowl with honey and raisins.

Wow, lots of carbs and not much protein in the above. I was feeling sick to my stomach from too much animal protein so wanted to back off.

I will commit to use the BT log today for food. Heck I'll even go in and put the above in the nutrition section but won't have the P/C/F breakdown.

2009-03-11 9:04 AM
in reply to: #2010178

Master
Peoria, AZ (Near Lake Pleasant)

sportyj - 2009-03-10 11:00 PM . . . .

We have 4 people who are PERFECT: Robot Jerry Milton Sally KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK EVERYONE!!!!!

Ok  - I have alot (and by that I mean enough to spare) of self love.  And While I often think I am perfect and I am pleased to see that you agree, I think that the logging is pushing me up to a 4,000 a day caloric intake in addition to a diet of mostly junk topped with beer and layered in beer as well as consumed with beer.

I think we need this nutritional challenge to have a few more of those mini-daily challenges.  What say you may fovorite SportyJ?

2009-03-11 10:24 AM
in reply to: #2010472

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
craftyazgal - 2009-03-11 6:53 AM

The problem I've been having is I've been having things I have no idea how much I consumed or how to count it.

For example, my daughter started a job at a new pizza place and they had friends and family night on Monday before their grand opening last night. It was buffet. I have no idea how many pieces I ate.

I'll steal my post from the weight loss challenge. Yesterday looked like:

2 slices white bread (I hate it but didn't get to the store for the good bread yet), 1 T pb, 1 T jelly, 1 Cup milk

I get to the office and they have the coffee barista lady in and bagels and cream cheese. Well it doesn't matter that I've already eaten breakfast. I need a hot chocolate (which tasted more like warm milk with a hint of chocolate flavor-disappointing to say the least) and a bagel with cream cheese.

Now I am full but about an hour later I feel a need for something refreshing so I have some grapes.

Now it's about 3 hours since I had the first bagel but I don't like what is in my lunch bag so I have another one with cream cheese (at least it was light cream cheese) and a half of a dry cinnamon chip one.

Okay the body is wondering what's up with all the bread stuff so I consume my bag of baby carrots, and a tangerine while driving to job #2.

On the way to swim I ate 1/2 a banana and ate the other half after.

I get home and I'm hungry so for dinner (my family thinks I'm on strike for cooking but I've just been busy) I eat a 4 oz roll that I cut up and spread light butter on and sprinkle with parmesan and garlic and put under the broiler. I do have some carrots and ranch with it. After this I'm still feeling hungry (or maybe just want something else) so I have a glob of pb (2-3 T I'm guessing) in a bowl with honey and raisins.

Wow, lots of carbs and not much protein in the above. I was feeling sick to my stomach from too much animal protein so wanted to back off.

I will commit to use the BT log today for food. Heck I'll even go in and put the above in the nutrition section but won't have the P/C/F breakdown.

If you aren't near a computer, write it down. If you try to add it up at the end of the day, you will miss stuff.

For "created" dishes, I pretty much take all the ingredients, add the calories up and then divide to get calories per serving. So, for the fried rice I'm making, I'm using 2 cups brown rice, two skinless chicken breasts, 1 red pepper, 1 orange pepper, 1 cup snow pea pods, 1 cup brown mushrooms, 1 can water chestnuts. 2 tbsp olive oil for sauteeing all of the above.

That equals X calories, and say, 6 cups of food. I eat 1 cup. That makes a serving X/6 calories.

For other foods, I take the packaging and enter it as a custom food. (I'm entering everything as a custom food, it makes it easier to organize for me) Most places have nutritional info on the web where you can look stuff up, and the rest I make my best guess.

John 

2009-03-11 11:10 AM
in reply to: #2010500

Veteran
perkins_jerryw - 2009-03-11 9:04 AM

We have 4 people who are PERFECT: Robot Jerry Milton Sally KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK EVERYONE!!!!!

Ok  - I have alot (and by that I mean enough to spare) of self love.  And While I often think I am perfect and I am pleased to see that you agree, I think that the logging is pushing me up to a 4,000 a day caloric intake in addition to a diet of mostly junk topped with beer and layered in beer as well as consumed with beer.

I think we need this nutritional challenge to have a few more of those mini-daily challenges.  What say you may fovorite SportyJ?

So first of all, what's with the new avatar Jerry? BTW, how long do I have to keep my failed up? It's depressing

Jerry I have a challenge for you tomorrow.

You can join my daughter and I in our new T-tapp diet and exercises. You can just do the food part. You can only have "God made" foods tomorrow. No, beer and pizza are not god made!

It requires us to only have God made foods-Think fruit, veggies, meat, olive oil, nuts, barley, wheat berries, we are allowed to have brown rice and natural peanut butter and Ezekiel or spelt bread (has anyone tried these).

Do it for 3 days and on day 4 we can have other junk and then back to the God made stuff for 3 days. I'll give it a week. It certainly can't hurt.

2009-03-11 11:25 AM
in reply to: #2010916

Elite
Gilbert, Az.

You can join my daughter and I in our new T-tapp diet and exercises. You can just do the food part. You can only have "God made" foods tomorrow. No, beer and pizza are not god made!

Depends on who you regard as a God. :D Arthur Guinness ranks right up there...

It requires us to only have God made foods-Think fruit, veggies, meat, olive oil, nuts, barley, wheat berries, we are allowed to have brown rice and natural peanut butter and Ezekiel or spelt bread (has anyone tried these).

Do it for 3 days and on day 4 we can have other junk and then back to the God made stuff for 3 days. I'll give it a week. It certainly can't hurt.

Just to be technical about it, olive oil, peanut butter, bread and meat are not "God made", no matter how natural they are. They all require some human intervention/processing.

John 

2009-03-11 11:37 AM
in reply to: #2010916

Expert
Big Bear City, California
craftyazgal - 2009-03-11 9:10 AM

perkins_jerryw - 2009-03-11 9:04 AM

So first of all, what's with the new avatar Jerry? BTW, how long do I have to keep my failed up? It's depressing

Jerry I have a challenge for you tomorrow.

You can join my daughter and I in our new T-tapp diet and exercises. You can just do the food part. You can only have "God made" foods tomorrow. No, beer and pizza are not god made!

Sounds like you are describing something similar to the "raw" diet. Good luck, I'll be interested to hear how it goes.
http://altmedicine.about.com/od/popularhealthdiets/a/Raw_Food.htm
2009-03-11 12:06 PM
in reply to: #2010960

Veteran
tkd.teacher - 2009-03-11 11:25 AM

Just to be technical about it, olive oil, peanut butter, bread and meat are not "God made", no matter how natural they are. They all require some human intervention/processing.

John 

I agree. I'm not going to be too extreme though. If we want to get technical, someone has to put seeds in the ground to get veggies too

2009-03-11 12:11 PM
in reply to: #2011008

Veteran

Sounds like you are describing something similar to the "raw" diet. Good luck, I'll be interested to hear how it goes. http://altmedicine.about.com/od/popularhealthdiets/a/Raw_Food.htm[/QUOTE]

Yikes, that's too extreme. Seaweed ooh let me have a giant serving of that. I'll report after the week how it goes.

I went down to the kitchen at work with the intention of rinsing out my cup and getting a diet coke. Instead I filled the cup with ice and water. Hey, it's a small step

2009-03-11 12:30 PM
in reply to: #2011107

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
craftyazgal - 2009-03-11 10:06 AM
tkd.teacher - 2009-03-11 11:25 AM

John

I agree. I'm not going to be too extreme though. If we want to get technical, someone has to put seeds in the ground to get veggies too

Bird poop. How do you think it was originally done? 

2009-03-11 4:34 PM
in reply to: #2011182

2009-03-11 7:16 PM

Expert
Somewhere over there in Az

Oh I love the way you think ^^^^^^^ No, really ^^^^^^

~You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What does a cow eat? Hay and corn. And what are these? Vegetables. So a steak is nothing more than an efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need grain? Eat chicken. Beef is also a good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable). And a pork chop can give you 100% of your recommended daily allowance of vegetable products.~

2009-03-11 9:47 PM
in reply to: #2012161

2009-03-12 12:26 PM

Elite
Mesa, AZ
So yeah, up a pound this week. I predicted it didn't I? Still a bummer but I can go look at my food logs and see THREE days of OVER my calories.

Right back ON the wagon!

Still below where I started!

2009-03-14 10:24 PM

Veteran
It's an excuse I know but eating god stuff takes too much thinking right now for the schedule I have. I made it through day one and then all through yesterday until dinner when we got pizza. I must get this under control. I need to at least get back to putting it on paper if I can't log here.
2009-03-14 10:40 PM
in reply to: #2012402

Expert
Somewhere over there in Az
Zilla - 2009-03-11 7:47 PM
mm5093 - 2009-03-11 5:16 PM

Oh I love the way you think ^^^^^^^ No, really ^^^^^^

~You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What does a cow eat? Hay and corn. And what are these? Vegetables. So a steak is nothing more than an efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need grain? Eat chicken. Beef is also a good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable). And a pork chop can give you 100% of your recommended daily allowance of vegetable products.~

Now do this logic for a brownie. 

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
A: Are you crazy?
HELLO
Cocoa beans! Another vegetable!!! It's the best feel-good food around!

2009-03-14 11:25 PM
in reply to: #2018569

Master
Peoria, AZ (Near Lake Pleasant)

craftyazgal - 2009-03-14 8:24 PM It's an excuse I know but eating god stuff takes too much thinking right now for the schedule I have. I made it through day one and then all through yesterday until dinner when we got pizza. I must get this under control. I need to at least get back to putting it on paper if I can't log here.

I did not read your challenge until too late. 

Now several of you subscibe to a god belief that I do not.

However - I believe you were attempting to have me eat non-prepared food.  Now that I have read it, I can give it a go starting Monday (these things need to be thought out you know and I already made my accelerade for the bike ride on sunday!)

2009-03-15 10:03 AM
in reply to: #2018609

Veteran
perkins_jerryw - 2009-03-14 11:25 PM

craftyazgal - 2009-03-14 8:24 PM It's an excuse I know but eating god stuff takes too much thinking right now for the schedule I have. I made it through day one and then all through yesterday until dinner when we got pizza. I must get this under control. I need to at least get back to putting it on paper if I can't log here.

I did not read your challenge until too late. 

Now several of you subscibe to a god belief that I do not.

However - I believe you were attempting to have me eat non-prepared food.  Now that I have read it, I can give it a go starting Monday (these things need to be thought out you know and I already made my accelerade for the bike ride on sunday!)

Okay, I will go for that tomorrow too. I have been out of control. I did write down everything I ate yesterday in the BT log. That is WAY too many calories. I did burn 600 on the bike according to the computer but still.

I am making our St. P dinner tomorrow night because we will be out on Tuesday. Hey, that counts-meat, potato, cabbage, carrots. I don't drink beer so I'm good there.

To make this easier I need to replace my blender that broke last week. It pissed me off because I use it regularly and  plus all of the juice and water flowed all over the counter and made a wonderful mess when I was already running late for work.

Not trying to cheat but Jerry can I count my protein powder as unprepared even though it is You had mentioned on another occasion that cheating was okay so I'll go with it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 30 Day Nutrition Challenge Rss Feed  

of 12