Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Advice needed on RV’s (old ones) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-20 9:01 AM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Subject: Advice needed on RV’s (old ones)

I am considering buying a used RV and would like advice. My Wife and I think it may be a good ting to have for local travel to Tri’s and weekend getaways.  We do not have much to invest and I have an opportunity to get an OLD 1976 to 1980 Class C RV for about 500  I haven’t looked at it yet but I would guess it is not in the best shape and I will put a good deal of time and money into it over the next several months.  Anyway what should I look for?  Should I look for a trailer type instead?  What are the advantages and disadvantages of self contained vs a pull behind?  Is there really much difference in the age other than the mechanical wear and tear? Is there any real difference in a well maintained mid 70’s RV and a mid 80’s Fuel economy?  I am totally ignorant about these things so any input will be great.

2009-02-20 9:17 AM
in reply to: #1972519

User image

Elite
Oliver, BC, "Wine Capital of Canada"
Subject: RE: Advice needed on RV’s (old ones)

What ever you get, make sure you have a good supply of roof sealant. I swear those older models were designed to leak. We have an older one which was given to us and unless it's tarped while raining water comes in.
Also expect gas milage in the 10 to 15mpg range.

Personally, I'd suggest getting a camper van if all you're using it for is short trip tri stuff.

2009-02-20 12:16 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Repeat after me:  "There is no such thing as a cheap car." 

There is no such thing as a cheap car. 

If you plan to drive it, what would it take to make that $500 paperweight road-worthy?  New tires (probably $150 apiece), brakes (another $400+), transmission flush ($100), oil change, coolant change, battery, tune up, etc.  I would expect an additional $2000 (minimum) for all of the above, and more than this if you have to pay someone to do it.  Remember, the RV will have super-heavy-duty components, so you may not be able to find brake shoes (figure 4-wheel drum) at the local auto parts store.  Transmission overhaul would be another $1500. 

Mid-70's is probably a Dodge chassis with a 318 or 360 V-8 and 3-speed automatic transmission.  Expect 6-8 mpg and leisurely acceleration. 

If you already have a tow-vehicle, a tow-behind is probably the way to go.   A little more of a hassle to get hooked up, but then you don't have to haul it into town when you want to get groceries.  You also drive the tow vehicle regularly, so you're on top of any issues before you start the trip.  With a self-contained, you probably won't drive it enough to pick up the subtle changes in driving until something breaks on your trip (or you spend a couple hundred $$ a year to have it checked out regularly).  Check on insurance issues.  A tow-behind may be substantially cheaper to insure and/or license than a self-contained. 

If you can do all of the repairs yourself and are looking for another time-sink, then buy the beast.  If you're not inclined to wrench on it yourself, you probably won't save as much $$ as you think buying this over something newer. 

We looked at the total costs of taking a long RV trip compared to inexpensive hotels, and the cost was pretty close to the same EXCLUDING the capital cost of the RV. 

2009-02-20 2:07 PM
in reply to: #1973098

User image

I love the concept of RV's. They just seem really cool.

However, I have a feeling they are like a boat. The two best days of ownership will be the day you buy it and the day you sell it. My uncle owned one, and he could do most of the maintenance himself, and he sure had to do a lot.

If you have the time and the ability, I think it would be fun to own one and pretty nice to have your own perosnal port-a-potty at a tri. From a practical perspective, meh.
2009-02-20 3:14 PM

User image

somewhere in the northwest
The biggest problem with older RV's either a motorhome or tow behind are the black water and gray water tanks. You don't know how well they were taken care of. The black water tank could have the infomous cone that you can not see. This happens when people are lazy and just leave there valve open,well solids hit bottem and have a tendency to stick over many years of this your capacity shrinks eventualy leading to a huge problem and maybe a mess. My forman just spent  $1600 to a local comany to come out and clean the tank. So there are a lot of things to consider, on one that old I would just say no and look into what you could budget in on a new or slitely used one there are a lot of deals out there right now, I wish we would have waited a little longer to get our's but I love it anyway. Good luckSmile
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Advice needed on RV’s (old ones) Rss Feed