General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Fresno, CA. Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-21 10:32 PM

New user

Fresno, CA
Subject: Hello from Fresno, CA.
Hi everybody. I got to this web site through a great friend of mine, and his words about it really motivated me to try. I think my number one goal is weight loss, but I have to admit that after reading the articles I got pretty motivated to take this program beyond weight loss. I think it's time to wake up and start moving. I've been a couch potato for too long. I love activities, being outdoors, and I always wanted to be able to run, which I hope to acomplish now.
I think the biggest problem is a lack of self-discipline and no motivation. My husband doesn't take my attempts to lose weight seriously anymore, and for that reason, I won't even tell him that I'm doing this now. Unfortunatly, he will look at it as another thing I'll try and will give up in the middle of the way.
I hope that this web-site, the articles, the chance to register my activities and nutrition help me accomplish my goal.

2005-03-22 8:10 AM
in reply to: #132568

User image

Expert
Potomac, Maryland
Subject: RE: Hello from Fresno, CA.
Go for it!  You'll get lots of support here.  Don't get discouraged.  The hardest part is getting started.  It won't be long before you can mark the progress you're making.  There are lots of sprint tris and distances that may now seem intimidating can soon seem achievable.  And remember to have fun while working toward your trithlon goals.
2005-03-22 8:30 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Yes, just get started!  Use the logs to keep honest with yourself and feel free to ask here for encouragement from all of us when the motivation wanes (happens to most of us at some time).  Surprise your husband (and maybe yourself)!  Good luck!
2005-03-22 12:28 PM

New user

Fresno, CA
Thank you guys so much for your positive words, they are really encouraging
2005-03-23 8:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Ventura, California
Hello fellow Newbie!!! Davitt from Ventura, CA here!!!

I went through the same things with my roommates that I live with. They know that i can still play basketball with anyone on any court but they continually laughed when i tried to lose weight. (To make it worse, one of my roomamtes is a 24 hour fitness fitness manager).

I have been in training for the past 3 1/2 weeks and at the beginning, i thought about keeping it to myself...DON"T DO IT!!!! Tell as many people as possible!!! Family, co-workers, friends, people you randomly meet (telling people that i am a triathlete in training always makes for interesting conversation)...you never know where you will find support. I told a couple of people at work and now there are 5 of us competing in our first tri on June 26th!

As for motivation...remember this: MOTIVATION FOLLOWS ACTION!!!
I always thought it was the other way around but once I started training for a tri i saw the light. Get out and do something...ANYTHING...go for a run around the block, bike to the pharmacy...once you take action adn see progress (even if it is something as small as not breathing as heavily), the motivation will take care of itself. Personally, I picked out a TRI that was 4 months away (on 6/26) and I am having a lot of things revolve around those numbers. I get up at 6:26 every morning to work out, I eat dinner by 6:26 at night (to avoid eating too late), I have the date scrolling as a screensaver. Always reminding myself of my goal. Another helpful thing is that when you pick a Tri, print out the course map for each event and post it in a place that you will see every day. I have one hanging in my office and the other in my room.

Best of Luck!!!

dc

"The true champion is the athlete that is bent over, muscles burning, dripping in sweat, and gasping for breath...when on one else is watching"
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Fresno, CA. Rss Feed