General Discussion Triathlon Talk » running and lower knee Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-22 12:35 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: running and lower knee
I know there are probabally a millions threads on this but Im really too lazy to read all of them. Im training for a half ironman and am currently running about 25-30 miles a week. I warm up and stretch as much as I can however for the past two weeks I have been experiencing knee pain about two inches below my knee cap in the very from of my knee. My shins feel fine, its just this one bony spot. Has anyone else experienced this? Its not like a stabbing pain but its reallly achy to walk or run on. How did you get rid of this too? Thanks and good luck

2005-03-22 7:34 AM
in reply to: #132597

Rochester New York
Subject: RE: running and lower knee
First off... I have no idea what exactly is wrong w/ your knee. That being said i am training for a 1/2 im, and due to poor bike fit etc. i developed IT band problems. So they said no more running /cycling. So i found that i could still "water run". I looked around and found that it can actually keep your fitness level the same. So if it comes down to you not being able to run check this site out. http://www.pfitzinger.com/labreports/water.shtmlThey actually give u an 8 week schedule at the end, that starts to introduce land running back in.
Good luck
Sean
2005-03-22 8:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, OH
treiks813 - 2005-03-22 12:35 AM

I know there are probabally a millions threads on this but Im really too lazy to read all of them. Im training for a half ironman and am currently running about 25-30 miles a week. I warm up and stretch as much as I can however for the past two weeks I have been experiencing knee pain about two inches below my knee cap in the very from of my knee. My shins feel fine, its just this one bony spot. Has anyone else experienced this? Its not like a stabbing pain but its reallly achy to walk or run on. How did you get rid of this too? Thanks and good luck

Sounds like patellar tendonistis. I'm not sure exactly where the actual inflamation occurs, whether it is the bottom part of the knee cap (pattela - sp) or if it is the tendon running over top of the knee cap. Either way, it is caused by muscle imbalance in your quads and the knee cap doesn't track correctly, thus causing more grinding and irritation. It's a really difficult thing to get rid of.

I had an ACL reconstruction on my left knee 10 years ago and about 3-4 years ago I began running and developed this. I still battle it today. Ice, advill, masage, stretching your quads, and specific strengthening exercises to ballance out your muscles is the "fix". If it is really bad, you may want to consider PT. Left untreated, considering your training level etc it will only get worse unfortunately.

HD

PS- (Disclaimer) I'm not a doctor, I'm a web developer. So my opinion is really meaningless. You should see a Dr.
2005-03-22 4:33 PM

Regular
Santa Monica, CA
I have sufered many knee ailments, so I feel your pain, literally. It sounds like it could be either patellar tendonitis or ITB, depending on where the pain is.

If the pain is directly below the knee, that is the patellar tendon and most likely the culprit. Just below the knee cap (actually starting underneath it) and running to the shin is the tendon in question. Press along it. If it is very tender, that is it. All I can say is ice the heck out of it, take NSAID's and ease off the running for a bit. If not taken care of, it can develop into a difficult situation and force you to stop. Causes for this can be various - increase in mileage to quickly, muscle imbalance, a specific trauma which was never given the chance to heal, etc.

If it is to the outside of the knee, but still below it, most likely ITB. This can be treated easily early on, but left untreated, it can also become a bear. You need to stretch and massage the heck out of it. Get a foam roll to massage it and stretch it numerous times through the day. Also, ice the knee and take NSAID's to reduce and inflamation (you may not see any, but if it hurts, it is there). This can be caused by muscle imbalance, over-pronating, sciatic issues, etc.

All that being said, it would still be a smart move to go see a doctor to have it properly diagnosed and nip it in the bud.

Good luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » running and lower knee Rss Feed