General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Runner's knee... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-24 3:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denton
Subject: Runner's knee...

It would appear that I'm pretty much a classic case...

http://www.aafp.org/afp/991101ap/2012.html

I mainly put this up because this is a great, thorough, and well-researched article on patellofemoral pain or, as we all affectionately know it, runner's knee, which apparently is cause for 16-25% of all running injuries.  Definitely check it out.  You can read my say below if you like, too. 

This is actually a great article I found on patellofemoral pain from the AAFP - mostly because it did a great job outlining the symptoms (sitting for too long?  totally aggravates the knees...  going down hill/stairs?  yep, that's when they bother me the most...  slight grinding sensation about the kneecap?  this sounds way too familiar...), and gives good explanation of potential causes, as well as treatment.  So - if I hurt myself doing yoga, how did that cause this to happen?  I'm flat-footed and you don't have support when you do yoga because... you're barefoot.  I also like to wear flip-flops.  Which probably doesn't help.  Add in tight ITB's and short hamstrings irritated by all those asanas and apparently you have a recipe for disaster.

Good news is, shoes with proper support at all times (that's why it hurts less when I've got my Zoot sandals on!), ice, and stretching the good ol' ITB's and hamstrings and I should be good to go.  I see my sports chiro/ART guy tomorrow, so I get to discuss it with him, too - always a plus because he pretty much knows everything about the athlete's body as far as I can tell.  I know he'll give me sound advice, and if there's anything to be done, he'll do it. 

Anyways, check out the article, it's a worthwhile read because it's about something we're all susceptible to. 

2009-02-25 8:15 AM
in reply to: #1979865

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
Subject: RE: Runner's knee...
morganjohnson - 2009-02-24 2:43 PM

(sitting for too long?  totally aggravates the knees... 

Another good reason to quit my job.  Tnx for the article!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Runner's knee... Rss Feed