General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training to Race in the Heat Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-25 3:30 PM

User image

Subject: Training to Race in the Heat

Okay, I've heard of people preparing to run marathons or race triathlons in warmer climates by layering and wearing heavier clothes, thus simulating warmer conditions. 

Does this actually work?  I'd like to hear from people who have actually done this and had positive/ negative / or no change as a result of trying this training method.   

I'm racing Eagleman and if the weather is like it was last year, Africa hot, I was thinking of preparing by wearing a sweatshirt while doing my training runs.  But first, I'd like to know if this is actually an effective method for building and enhancing endurance in hot weather conditions. 

I was also maybe thinking of taking up some Bikram Yoga -- which is vigorous Yoga in a room heated to 105 degrees.  I'm thinking that after a couple of months of Bikram perhaps my body will adapt better to training and racing in the heat.

Please share your experiences and any methods that helped you prepare to successfully Race in the Heat -- and if the method was successful or not.  Thanks

Edited by Dream Chaser 2009-02-25 3:46 PM

2009-02-25 5:09 PM
in reply to: #1981810

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Training to Race in the Heat
Well I have no idea how to train for high humidity. I live in Arizona and the temp reaches around 110 during June, but it's a dry heat. I would think the best way to train would be to actually train in that climate. Unfortunately, I have no idea if the sweatshirt thing would work, hopefully someone else can giver better advice. I can't imagine competing in a race with high humidity, I will take a dry heat of 110 any day to 75% humidity.
2009-02-25 5:19 PM
in reply to: #1982023

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN

I can't imagine competing in a race with high humidity, I will take a dry heat of 110 any day to 75% humidity.

...then don't race in Indiana...liquid air sometimes.  Surprised

2009-02-25 5:33 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Jarrod Shoemaker (Beijing triathlete)'s wife came to our tri team meeting and gave a talk last spring. One thing she mentioned was how they trained for doing tris in different parts of the world while living in MA. Wearing extra clothes and turning up the temp. in their training room is two strategies they used. Another was traveling to a warm place to train....I like that option.
2009-02-25 5:34 PM
in reply to: #1982031

User image

Sensei
Sin City

This topic is of interest to me since I live in Vegas...

I can't answer with certainty about simulating heat by wearing more clothes, but I have read that getting better at racing in the heat, you have to train in the heat...

The body learns to deal with it by learning to sweat more AND it learns to sweat sooner.  The body's cooling system learns to adapt.  This appears to be fact based on studies.

However, I'm not sure if throwing on an extra sweatshirt once in a while does the trick.  I think it needs repetitive training in hot conditions to make a difference.

The Bikrams yoga, however, would be a closer approximation.

2009-02-25 5:35 PM
in reply to: #1982049

User image

Sensei
Sin City

KathyG - 2009-02-25 3:33 PM Jarrod Shoemaker (Beijing triathlete)'s wife came to our tri team meeting and gave a talk last spring. One thing she mentioned was how they trained for doing tris in different parts of the world while living in MA. Wearing extra clothes and turning up the temp. in their training room is two strategies they used. Another was traveling to a warm place to train....I like that option.

If I MUST go to Kona to train, so be it...

2009-02-25 5:38 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs

I've read about people training for Badwater -- they wore extra clothes, ran with the dryer vent in their face.

I haven't done any of this first hand though, so I can't give you any direct personal advice.

One of my friends did Eageman last year and said she almost cried when she started the run .  She said it was impossibly hot. --- good luck, DC!

2009-02-26 7:29 AM

User image

Master
Charlotte

Take a vacation to Charleston, SC for a week in May.  It one of the most beautiful and historic cities in the country.  It has two awesome beaches within 15 miles (Isle of Palms is my favorite beach in the US).  It has some of the best restuarants in the country.  Starting Memorial Day, it has a two week world-famous art festival (Spoleto Festival). 

Charleston is my favorite place in the south to visit/vacation at (we even got married there).  We go every year, usually 2-3 times a year.

It is also one of the hottest and most humid places on earth!  If you can vacation/train there for a week, you most certainly can handle anything Maryland is going to throw at you!  This is a serious suggestion!!!

2009-02-26 7:54 AM

User image

Unfortunately, with two young kiddies, at this stage in my life, traveling to another locale to train is out of the question... although I may try that later in life, for sure

It sounds like from KathyG was told and a few others have heard, that pro's do use different methods to simulate hotter conditions.  I'm sure it can't hurt, well unless I don't hydrate properly . . .

2009-02-26 9:51 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I have never done anything like this, but I have read about people who have.  As I understand it, it takes your body a couple or a few weeks to adapt to significant climate change.  So it would seem that if you do this, you should focus your efforts over the last few weeks of training.

Honestly though, there are far more important things to focus on for most athletes.  If it is hot & humid, slow down.

2009-02-26 9:55 AM
in reply to: #1982881

User image

Veteran
St. Paul, MN
I would think Birkram would help out in that your body would learn how to function in heat and yet exert itself. I've also read that slowly increasing your sauna exposure can help too with recommendations up to 30+ minutes per session.

Be sure to keep hydrated and safe!

2009-02-26 9:57 AM

User image

Runner
I believe that many Japanese runners do something like this.  They wear warmer gear in the summer.  But they aren't simulating hotter conditions, they do it because they want to be warmer than it is to race better in the summer.
2009-02-26 10:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Simon Whitfield (olympian triathlete) was preparing for the heat of Beijing in a over-heated littel room. He was training on the treadmill/trainer by simulating the heat in the room. Looks like it worked out pretty well with his silver medal Cool
2009-02-26 10:26 AM
in reply to: #1982023

User image

Extreme Veteran

meblack - 2009-02-25 6:09 PM Well I have no idea how to train for high humidity. I live in Arizona and the temp reaches around 110 during June, but it's a dry heat. I would think the best way to train would be to actually train in that climate. Unfortunately, I have no idea if the sweatshirt thing would work, hopefully someone else can giver better advice. I can't imagine competing in a race with high humidity, I will take a dry heat of 110 any day to 75% humidity.

A Bonfire is a dry heat too...but you wouldn't catch me training in one. With a nod to Jeff Dunham Laughing

2009-02-26 11:02 AM

User image

Miami,FL

I can't imagine competing in a race with high humidity, I will take a dry heat of 110 any day to 75% humidity.

Try racing and training in miami during summer....its a punishment since its melting hot with crazy humidity.

To the OP sorry but i have no clue what you would do since i just kinda learned to deal with the heat. 

2009-02-26 11:49 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
I am currently preparing for the Hawaii 70.3 in May and an Olympic next month in Mexico and with snow on the ground now were I live this topic has been of great interest to me. I have been told that it is one thing to do a long course event but to do it in a harsh climate can be really tough.

I have talked to several people that have lived and raced in the Kona area and was told the best thing you can do is spend 2 or 3 weeks at the race location to acclimate. While I would love to do that it is not possible. I was told to overdress on my trainer and while running. My wife thinks I'm nuts wearing a wool cap and sweatshirts while on my trainer but I do feel the extra heat radiating from my body. I have increased my hydration and all seems to be well so far. If there is no physiological benefit there sure will be a mental one.

2009-02-26 12:01 PM

User image

Expert

Possible it is just how you grew up and mindset?  I LOVE running in the heat and humidity.  When I run in the cold, all I can think of is how much more fun it'd be if it was warm out.  Of course I grew up in the extremes of heat - Quartz Hill, CA; Dublin, TX, and Hotlanta.  Living in NJ now, I see the differences in the ability of others to run in the heat though.  I run SLOW, but on a hot summer day, the few times I've run with NJ natives, they are not happy campers, and I was. 

2009-02-26 12:23 PM
in reply to: #1983628

User image

Sensei
Sin City
kagoscuba - 2009-02-26 10:01 AM

Possible it is just how you grew up and mindset?  I LOVE running in the heat and humidity.  When I run in the cold, all I can think of is how much more fun it'd be if it was warm out.  Of course I grew up in the extremes of heat - Quartz Hill, CA; Dublin, TX, and Hotlanta.  Living in NJ now, I see the differences in the ability of others to run in the heat though.  I run SLOW, but on a hot summer day, the few times I've run with NJ natives, they are not happy campers, and I was. 

I'm sure there is a level of tolerance to pain and suffering, but there ARE physiological changes the body makes when you train in high temps.

2009-02-26 12:52 PM

User image

Master
North Alabama

Come to the Southeast (AL) to train. Usually our humidity levels are higher than our temperature. You can break a sweat tying your shoes.

The only other thing I've heard is long layers, higher temp training rooms, and modifying training times for midday. Just take precaution and stay hydrated.

2009-02-26 7:00 PM
in reply to: #1983590

User image

popsracer - 2009-02-26 12:49 PM I am currently preparing for the Hawaii 70.3 in May and an Olympic next month in Mexico and with snow on the ground now were I live this topic has been of great interest to me. I have been told that it is one thing to do a long course event but to do it in a harsh climate can be really tough. I have talked to several people that have lived and raced in the Kona area and was told the best thing you can do is spend 2 or 3 weeks at the race location to acclimate. While I would love to do that it is not possible. I was told to overdress on my trainer and while running. My wife thinks I'm nuts wearing a wool cap and sweatshirts while on my trainer but I do feel the extra heat radiating from my body. I have increased my hydration and all seems to be well so far. If there is no physiological benefit there sure will be a mental one.

Good luck!!  Wow, that's going to be a huge extreme change.  Best of luck.  I might just try the wool hat

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training to Race in the Heat Rss Feed