General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pool swim...training/racing....push off, flip, or... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-03-02 7:40 AM

Master
Subject: Pool swim...training/racing....push off, flip, or...

I had a quick question about pool swims.

Training:
Do you push off?

Do you flip turn?

Do you just sort of turn around?

Race (More importantly)
I am planning to a sprint in May that's a pool swim. What are the rules there as far as turning at the end of each lap. Is that set by each race or is there an accepted set of rules?

2009-03-02 7:48 AM
in reply to: #1990950

User image

Giver
Subject: RE: Pool swim...training/racing....push off, flip, or...
Every pool race I've ever done has allowed flip turns. But, if yours aren't very good, I wouldn't use them cause the mechanics are more complicated. Lots of times, you're pushing off in a different direction than you are used to, and, you've got to clear that lane rope so it doesn't end up on your back when you surface.
2009-03-02 7:51 AM
in reply to: #1990969

Master
run4yrlif - 2009-03-02 8:48 AM Every pool race I've ever done has allowed flip turns. But, if yours aren't very good, I wouldn't use them cause the mechanics are more complicated. Lots of times, you're pushing off in a different direction than you are used to, and, you've got to clear that lane rope so it doesn't end up on your back when you surface.
I was sort of wondering how they do the pool swim? It sounds like they don't just have lanes setup like usual? Do they make the pool into a square course or something (haha pool swim noob = me)??

Edited by merlin2375 2009-03-02 7:51 AM
2009-03-02 7:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Longview
Usually you start in one lane and swim up one side next to the rope.  Come back down in the same lane against the opposite rope.  Then go under the rope to the next lane and continue.
2009-03-02 8:06 AM
in reply to: #1990991

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

cacc104 - 2009-03-02 7:58 AM Usually you start in one lane and swim up one side next to the rope.  Come back down in the same lane against the opposite rope.  Then go under the rope to the next lane and continue.

Don't forget dealing with the mass of humanity at each wall.  Flip turns really are a possibility for only the first couple of swimmers away in a pool tri.  After that, it's like rush hour traffic.

It training, I flip turn.  Sure, you don't flip turn in open water, but you don't stop and reverse course either.  Just get the yardage in.  That's what is important.

2009-03-02 8:08 AM
in reply to: #1990991

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

cacc104 - 2009-03-02 9:58 AM Usually you start in one lane and swim up one side next to the rope.  Come back down in the same lane against the opposite rope.  Then go under the rope to the next lane and continue.

For the tri I plan on doing in June, it will be done in waves.  8 lane pool, two swimmers/lane splitting each lane in two.  So, we can do full flip turns etc - same as in practice.

2009-03-02 8:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Norcross, Georgia

I did one similar to this back last year.  Only the first few people have a pool with enough room to execute a flip turn.  I ended up having to push off and then pass people in the lane.  Whatever works for you.

The way that the pool was set up was in a serpentine pattern.  Down the first lane then under the rope and back down the lane next to it...rinse and repeat. 

Hope this helps

2009-03-02 8:48 AM

Master
Thanks for all the replies! That definitely helps me understand how the swim will work in the pool for racing. I hope I can figure out the bike/run Laughing

What about for training, do most of you flip turn? I can flip turn well but it messes with my breathing a little bit so often I opt not to do it but I never know if I'm making the right choice!
2009-03-02 8:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Rota, Spain
I sort of slap at the wall and give a "minor" push off, nothing so as to keep me from swimming as much of the distance as I can.
2009-03-02 9:20 AM

User image

Expert
Columbus

The indoors I have done give you your own lane (or side of a lane) so you are in a crowd ever.  Others I have watched do the S thing up one side, down the next up the next lane... (again there is never a crowd)

So crowds and traffic aren't a problem from what I have experienced.

As run4yrlif mentioned it is important to do them well.  If you can't do them well you will go slower than an open turn and maybe get hurt. 

I have read a hundred times before that you can't win a tri in the swim but you can lose it.

So, unless you have a very good flip turn - do an open turn.

I was a competitive swimmer and but now days during practice I do open turns have the time.

btw - doing a good open turn is not the same as just turning around and pushing off.   I recommend to the non competive swimmer to learmn to do a quality open turn in competition.

2009-03-02 9:22 AM
in reply to: #1991120

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

merlin2375 - 2009-03-02 10:48 AM Thanks for all the replies! That definitely helps me understand how the swim will work in the pool for racing. I hope I can figure out the bike/run Laughing

What about for training, do most of you flip turn? I can flip turn well but it messes with my breathing a little bit so often I opt not to do it but I never know if I'm making the right choice!

I always do flip turns but you will get a wide variety of answers on this, some do and some don't.  I'm a former swimmer and for me, it's just the natural thing to do.

2009-03-02 9:49 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

I always do flip turns in training.  It's easier for me than stopping at the wall and doing an open turn.  I feel like I am less likely to stop and take a break.  It's an efficiency thing for me.

In pool swim races, I have done flip turns when I can.  A lot of times, it's not possible due to the number of people in the pool around you and the way the lane lines are set up.  Scratches on your back from the lane lines really hurt. 

2009-03-02 10:18 AM
in reply to: #1991222

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
axteraa - 2009-03-02 10:22 AM

merlin2375 - 2009-03-02 10:48 AM Thanks for all the replies! That definitely helps me understand how the swim will work in the pool for racing. I hope I can figure out the bike/run Laughing

I always do flip turns but you will get a wide variety of answers on this, some do and some don't.  I'm a former swimmer and for me, it's just the natural thing to do.

X2. I do flip turns whenever I can but have been doing them for almost 40 years so it's the natural way to swim.

2009-03-02 10:47 AM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
I rarely do flip turns in training...I'm really fast with open turns, actually, and there's less chance of pushing off badly (tweaked a knee on a flip turn not long ago). I sometimes do them just to practice them (I was a competitive swimmer 30 years ago, so I can do them easily), but there's just not much need, honestly...no flip turns in open water swims and--as others have explained already--they aren't very practical in most tri pools swims and I don't do masters classes, so there's no point. (Esp. since almost all the tri's I do are OWS, not pool.)
2009-03-02 12:43 PM
in reply to: #1990977

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

merlin2375 - 2009-03-02 7:51 AM
run4yrlif - 2009-03-02 8:48 AM Every pool race I've ever done has allowed flip turns. But, if yours aren't very good, I wouldn't use them cause the mechanics are more complicated. Lots of times, you're pushing off in a different direction than you are used to, and, you've got to clear that lane rope so it doesn't end up on your back when you surface.
I was sort of wondering how they do the pool swim? It sounds like they don't just have lanes setup like usual? Do they make the pool into a square course or something (haha pool swim noob = me)??

The pool swims I have done have been "serpentine" swims where you start on one side of the pool go down the lane, back on the other side of same lane...under the rope to the next side ....repeat across the pool.  When you get to the other side you've done a 300 yard (or meter) swim. 

Other tri's are set up with a larger group circle swimming in each lane.  I have never seen that but I hear it can be done that way. 

I flip turn in practice but have never done it in the race cause my mechanics are so-so and I'm afraid I'd kick others in the face or something. 

I have come to prefer OWS races and the mass start.  In those you have equal footing with your own abilities as the limitations.  In a pool swim, even with properly seeded times the early swimmers can be finished (the whole race) before the slow swimmers even get into the pool.

2009-03-02 12:51 PM
in reply to: #1991120

User image

merlin2375 - 2009-03-02 6:48 AM Thanks for all the replies! That definitely helps me understand how the swim will work in the pool for racing. I hope I can figure out the bike/run Laughing

yikes.  here's the can opener, hope you like worms. 

This is only my humble opinion, but if flip turning messes with your breathing enough that you don't do them, maybe you aren't doing them well?

I do them simply because that's what I do.  others don't, doesn't really matter as long as you are swimming

Again, just my opinion, but I think flip turns make one a better swimmer, allow one to maintain rhythm, and it's my general philosophy that with each leg we should strive to be the best we can in each leg and do what actual swimmers/bikers/runners do

In response to those that say there are no walls in OWS tris....   true.  But you don't stop and start from scratch every 25 yds either.  The only true OWS training is OW swimming.

*** NB: The above is not to be taken as a crticism of the ability, speed or virility of anyone that does open turns    *****

2009-03-02 12:54 PM
in reply to: #1991892

User image

Champion
i do flip turns in training, and for those that are/were not swimmers, they are not really hard to learn, i taught myself in about 4 days of swimming and have not looked back.

yes i push off the wall, why would you not? i dont want to have to swim my way back up to speed, that messes up your stroke much more than the extra 4 feet you lose by pushing off the wall. if the extra disatance lost bothers you that much swim an extra few hundred in your workout.
the other part of people not pushing off that bothers me, they keep all their splits, never push hard off the wall, then a test set or TT/race come around, they hammer the wall, and brag about their 30 sec PR. well hate to break it to you but i bet most of that was the wall.
2009-03-02 1:02 PM
in reply to: #1991922

User image

Champion
just because i am feeling argumentitive today,

for those that say pushing off the wall, and flip turns are not needed/not in open water

neither are pace clocks, chlorine, a black line on the bottom of the pool, lane lines, or walls.

and on a side note, as chris said, if you want to be fast, training like a swimming, runner, or cyclist is going to get you there.
swimmers are faster than triathletes swimming for a number of reasons, yes they swim a LOT more than we do, but they also practice drills, and swim hard a lot. if you took someone and had them do a reduced version of a swimmers typical week, and had someone do the same totals the way most triathletes do (get in and swim, dont flip turn, etc), the person training like a swimmer would almost always come out ahead. by training to be a fast swimmer, and not training for a triathlon swim the way most do, you will come out a much stronger swimmer.

as others have said, i think learning to do flip turns can help your overall swimming a lot, you realize you can go mor than 3 sec without a breath or freaking out, your stroke becomes a lot smoother, you are not stopping at the wall at all.

just my thoughts, not directed at any one person
2009-03-02 1:04 PM
in reply to: #1991922

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I do flip turns in training.  UNLESS, I need a slight break.  Open turns are less taxing on my breathing than flip turns.  I can get a split second longer to breath at the turn.

Flip turns are what good swimmers do (NOTE: I did not say TRIATHLETES - ***avoiding hot water***).  I think trying to mimic the best swimmers, cyclists, and runners, can't be a bad thing.

The whole "you don't do flip turns in races" doesn't hold much water for me.  I also don't do 5x5' interval runs, or 10x20" sprints on the bike in races.  I also swim outside in races and only in the gym for training.  I lift weights to get stronger, but I don't carry around dumbells in a race.  There are TONS of things you do in training that you don't do in races - to just say "it's not in the race, so I don't do it" doesn't fly in my thinking.

This works for me and how I train...

2009-03-02 1:19 PM
in reply to: #1991957

User image

Expert
Columbus
Aikidoman - 2009-03-02 2:04 PM

to just say "it's not in the race, so I don't do it" doesn't fly in my thinking.

I don't think that it is the same thing.  Doing speed drills and lifting weights are integral for training.  Flip turns are not (unless you are doing them in the event) and therefore only need to be used for personal preference.

2009-03-02 1:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
I do flip turns because I've always done them. My coach will often give me a set of "no wall, no floor" though, in which I swim hard but am not allowed to touch the wall or the floor when I turn. Much harder than you would imagine!!

2009-03-02 1:50 PM
in reply to: #1991992

User image

Sensei
Sin City
bruehoyt - 2009-03-02 11:19 AM
Aikidoman - 2009-03-02 2:04 PM

to just say "it's not in the race, so I don't do it" doesn't fly in my thinking.

I don't think that it is the same thing.  Doing speed drills and lifting weights are integral for training.  Flip turns are not (unless you are doing them in the event) and therefore only need to be used for personal preference.

I would consider the body awareness and overall confidence/comfort in the water as a result of flip turns could be considered integral too.

I think that every aspect of swimming you can learn, all kinds of strokes, drills, flip turns, etc, can only help with confidence and comfort in the water (even though  you may do none of them in a race).  Something I see lacking in a lot of beginners or expereinced athletes who struggle with the swim - confidence.

So many people mention fear and anxiety with the swim.  I think having a broad base of knowledge, body awarness, and familiarity with all aspects of swimming can only have a positive affect on getting out there and doing it.

2009-03-02 1:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
Thanks for the great discussion. I have not been pushing off or doing flip turns. I swam years ago and may try them again the next time I am in the pool after reading this.
2009-03-02 2:56 PM

User image

Veteran

I don't know how to do flip turns.

But when I swim and do turns, I do not push off and I do not take a breath during the turn.  I figure that makes it a bit "harder" than if I was swimming through the distance.

2009-03-02 3:26 PM

Not to derail anything, but when I've tried to do flip turns, it feels like my nose is catching water and forcing it into my face.  Am I not tucking enough or is it supposed to feel like someone is inserting a super soaker into my nostril and unloading?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pool swim...training/racing....push off, flip, or... Rss Feed  

of 2