General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pool swim...training/racing....push off, flip, or... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-03-02 3:38 PM
in reply to: #1992278

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Subject: RE: Pool swim...training/racing....push off, flip, or...

crkhobbit - 2009-03-02 3:26 PM Not to derail anything, but when I've tried to do flip turns, it feels like my nose is catching water and forcing it into my face.  Am I not tucking enough or is it supposed to feel like someone is inserting a super soaker into my nostril and unloading?

Breathe out through your nose when you do them.

2009-03-02 3:54 PM
in reply to: #1990950

User image

Veteran
Rockwall, Texas

you have to blow out of your nose whenever you do a flip turn. that way you dont get nostils full of water. 

i dont really push off or anything during practice to get a more accurate ows representation. i dont know how to do a flip turn yet in practice, but i know how to in theory and i'm going to be practicing them this year. i completely agree that confidence in the water is the one thing most beginners are lacking. and also that awareness in the water is a good way to gain that confidence. i say learn to do flip turns for confidence and use them in a race in a pool along with a good push so you dont have to swim as far, traffic permitting. and use either flip turnswith no psh or just no push for practice to get more distance in.

just my 2 cents

2009-03-02 4:15 PM
in reply to: #1990950

User image

Expert
Harrisburg, PA
I'm a persistent SOB so I do flip turns because I didn't like there being something I couldn't do.

As for flip/no-flip during tri's using pools...ask what is allowed. I did two tri's in pools. The one event was in a 50 yard outdoor pool. The pool doesn't have any wall or lane markings, so flip turns aren't allowed. Reason being it isn't as easy to gauge where the wall is to do a safe flip. It was also a wide pool and could accomodate 10 swimmers at a time.

The other pool tri was at a YMCA that had 2 pools in adjacent pools; one was meters and one was yards and both pools were used. Two people shared a lane and it was between those two if you wanted to circle swim or go back and forth, and you could decide on flip turn vs. open turns.

I never did a tri where you snaked your way from lane to lane.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pool swim...training/racing....push off, flip, or... Rss Feed  

of 2