General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Rumpshaker 5k - Trussville, Al Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-02 12:30 PM

User image

Master
North Alabama
Subject: The Rumpshaker 5k - Trussville, Al

March 28th, 2009Anybody racing it this year?

http://www.rumpshaker5k.com/

5k race for Colon Cancer awareness in Trussville, Al.

If so, I'll see you there. Looks like I've persuaded a few folks to join in with me, so it should be fun. Hope to see you all there!

2009-03-02 6:56 PM
in reply to: #1991846

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
Subject: RE: The Rumpshaker 5k - Trussville, Al
Not racing, but I like the name of the race.
2009-03-04 1:15 PM

User image

Master
North Alabama

I guess it looks like I'm the only one. Either way, I'm going out to have fun and kick off the 2009 season!

Bama, I'm hoping the name of the race is a little peak into the type of runners there

2009-04-01 9:01 AM

User image

Master
North Alabama

I never saw this in the "Races" tab, so I couldn't add a report. I'll just add a little something here for those intersted.

It rained probably just up until the start, so the humidity was a good factor by race time. Nothing bad, but not something that has been trained with yet. Live and learn.

According to the results, some 1500 people still showed up despite the possiblity of rain and nasty weather. Huge turnout for a 1st time event. Unfortunately, the streets were a little too narrow for that many people to start from. There was no organized start, just pile in and go. For the first 0.25mi or more, everyone was shoulder to shoulder trying to clear out. Little hard for pacing, but manageable.

The organizers did a good job of putting markers out and a timer at each mile split, along w/ a water station at the halfway point. Pretty reasonable. However, there were either not enough people there, or again it was too crowded. Lots of clustering near the stops.

The course was well marked and laid out. Plenty of people out in their front yards cheering the runners on, especially for such a short run course. Great support.

There were no official timing chips, so the final time was all gun time and not a chip time. There was no adjustment for the distance from the line one started.

Only major gripe - At the unprotected crossings, one had to use pretty big caution to make sure a car wasn't going to dart in front. Also, nearing the 3mi mark (homestretch/final sprint), the race volunteers let a resident back out of the driveway into the race course, blocking the course. This required many of the residents to go off course through grass, or the oncoming walkers to dodge the car.

Highlight - I PR'd my 5k. 29:28. It's still slow, but I felt like it was pretty good coming back from stress fractures and shin splint injuries. I'll take it and just try harder at the next one.

Overall, good race. Great time.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Rumpshaker 5k - Trussville, Al Rss Feed