General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about nutrition & hydration Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-03 6:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Thibodaux
Subject: Question about nutrition & hydration

I'm getting my nutrition/hydration plan nailed down for my upcoming HIM. My plan is to alternate water, gatorade and water with Cliff gel every 10 minutes. This works well on my long run days & bricks except for one problem. I have to get off the bike to pee every hr. Am I drinking too much or is this normal? I don't want to be under hydrated, but that's alot of porta potty stops. Could I get by with less?

2009-03-03 6:19 PM
in reply to: #1995135

User image

Pro
Burbs
Subject: RE: Question about nutrition & hydration

You can pee on your bike!  It's kind of an icky feeling, but at that point it's pretty much just water anyhow ..

2009-03-03 6:22 PM
in reply to: #1995149

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Yes, you are drinking way too much based on the fact that you are having to go to the bathroom so much.
2009-03-03 6:24 PM
in reply to: #1995149

User image

Veteran
Thibodaux
Pee on my bike? Seriously? Won't it make my seat stink? Is this what everybody else does?
2009-03-03 6:45 PM
in reply to: #1995135

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
My HIM last fall was so cold I had to pee immediately getting on the bike and there were no porto potties, no trees, shrubs, even the crops had been harvested.  I waited til a big downhill and let it go, standing up of course.  The only thing that stunk later were my shoes and I think I just hosed them down with Lysol.  Some people got off their bikes to pee, baring their behinds to the rest of us.  I preferred my method, altho I had to scrub my bike before hubby would work on it
2009-03-03 6:46 PM
in reply to: #1995154

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Not EVERYONE pees on the bike.  I visited the porta potty in my IM.  I never had to go in my HIM's.

Good that you started to nail down your nutrition (something I ignored my first HIM), but like everyone else mentioned, sounds like you may be drinking too much.  I have heard that it's probably more detremental to drink too much than too little (within reason), in racing.

It also seems like you are bringing a lot of stuff.  Every think about JUST G.E or Infinit?  You get all your calories and fluids in one shot.  Just personal preference.  I was able to go12 hours only on liquids (needed to switch to solid food the last couple hours.  It was a long day without something in my stomach).

My philosophy, keep nutrition simple.  Keep EVERYTHING simple, in fact.

2009-03-04 6:12 AM
in reply to: #1995197

User image

Veteran
Thibodaux
Aikidoman - 2009-03-03 6:46 PM

Not EVERYONE pees on the bike.  I visited the porta potty in my IM.  I never had to go in my HIM's.

Good that you started to nail down your nutrition (something I ignored my first HIM), but like everyone else mentioned, sounds like you may be drinking too much.  I have heard that it's probably more detremental to drink too much than too little (within reason), in racing.

It also seems like you are bringing a lot of stuff.  Every think about JUST G.E or Infinit?  You get all your calories and fluids in one shot.  Just personal preference.  I was able to go12 hours only on liquids (needed to switch to solid food the last couple hours.  It was a long day without something in my stomach).

My philosophy, keep nutrition simple.  Keep EVERYTHING simple, in fact.

Actually, my thought was that they will have Gatorade on the race course so I won't have to bring it and I wanted to make sure I could tolerate it since my stomach seems to be sensitive to that kind of stuff. I  probably will bring some Gu's or Cliff gels, since I know they sometimes run out of that kind of stuff. Especially for slowpokes like me. If I get the Infinit, I'll have to order it online since it's not available around here.

2009-03-04 6:26 AM
in reply to: #1995154

User image

mammatri's - 2009-03-03 7:24 PM

Pee on my bike? Seriously? Won't it make my seat stink? Is this what everybody else does?

If a female stands up in front of you on her bike without an obvious reason, either slow down or pass her. If you stay right behind her, you'll find out your answer in a way you might not want to

With guys, it's more obvious what they're doing.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about nutrition & hydration Rss Feed