General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kring and Chung Newport Beach Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-04 11:34 AM

User image

Subject: Kring and Chung Newport Beach
Has anyone done this race in the past? I am seriously considering it. It's more expensive, but it looks beautiful, and the timing works out for me.

I was wondering about the bike course. Is it fairly flat, or more rolling hills?

2009-03-04 11:54 AM
in reply to: #1996689

New user
Subject: RE: Kring and Chung Newport Beach
this was my first tri ever last year.  It's actually a well put on event with a nice course. i wouldn't call it beautiful, the scenery in the back bay isn't that nice.  anyways, the bike course is mostly flat.  you do two out and back loops which are mainly on the bike trail that runs along back bay.  near the turn around there is one good climb that heads up towards jamboree (or is it macarthur, i don't remember), but you really get moving on the way down.  the run is also mostly flat, but also has a decent climb at the turn around point.  my only issue with the race was the cramped quarters on much of the bike course and some of the run course.  passing became a bit of an issue on my second lap on the bike because the course had filled up with waves that had started after mine.  it's a fun race though, i'm just bummed that is on the same weekend as both coachella and the long beach grand prix.  i'm trying to figure out a way to maybe combine the tri and maybe the grand prix, but i'm not sure if its going to work out.
2009-03-04 12:46 PM
in reply to: #1996752

User image

Thanks for the info. I can't tell if I'm getting old, or if it says more about my newfound love of triathlon that I am making the choice to race rather than go to Coachella, especially since The Cure, My Bloody Valentine, and The Yeah Yeah Yeahs are playing that day.
2009-03-04 1:01 PM

New user
not to mention sir paul, franz ferdinand, and the killers.   i think what is ultimately going to make me choose the tri over the concert is the $250 price tag plus accomodations.  my wife and i were going to go but it would cost us close to a grand for everything.  i'll probably spend $150 (with hotel) on the triathlon and get to race with some friends and still maybe be able to get up to long beach to catch the indy race afterwards.
2009-03-04 1:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA
I grew up on Balboa Island, and to this day I would never swim in the back bay.
2009-03-04 1:26 PM

New user
couldn't be worse than puddingstone for the bonelli races.  I swear I was drinking racing fuel for the whole swim.  disgusting!

2009-03-05 10:14 AM
in reply to: #1997094

User image

Expert
San Gabriel Valley, California

BRinSM - 2009-03-04 11:26 AM couldn't be worse than puddingstone for the bonelli races.  I swear I was drinking racing fuel for the whole swim.  disgusting!

I have done both - Bonelli and Newport Beach - and lived to tell the tale.  If the swim is kinda, well, interesting, it just adds to the stories you get to tell about your racing experience. 

2009-03-05 11:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA
Yeah, Bonelli is awful, too!
2009-03-05 12:17 PM
in reply to: #1999230

User image

I just looked at the heal the bay beach report card and it says the water is rated A. Unless there's been a rain storm then it's an F for up to 3 days after. So lets hope that it doesn't rain!

http://www.healthebay.org/brcv2/
2009-03-05 2:25 PM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA

I did this race last year and plan to be back again this year.

I had been told the water was awful for the swim, but I didn't find it that way. I've done beach swims the day after rain that were way worse. I loved the swim course. It had the buoyancy of the salt water, but was super protected, so no current or waves to deal with. I had been warned about sinking in the mud leaving the water, but didn't find it a problem at all. There is a long trek to T1, but there is a volunteer there to hose off your feet and body, which was nice.

The bike course was super easy. It's mostly flat and mostly scenic. There is one hill that is short, but steep. Several people had to walk it. Above that hill is a gentle climb that was a piece of cake. No traffic on the bike course, which was nice.

My biggest complaint was with T2. I was way BOP after the bike. The volunteers weren't limiting who was in the transition area, so there were families everywhere and I had to ask a ton of people to excuse me just to get back to my transition spot. I had the same problem heading out on the run. People were all over the beginning of the course, and I couldn't see where it went. I had to stop and ask spectators which way I was supposed to go. I felt that single part of the race was poorly organized. If you're fast, it won't be an issue.

The run was probably my least favorite leg. It is a mostly flat run, but the beginning is through several parking lots, which is boring. After that it goes through an RV campground, which stunk because you could smell some of the sewage lines coming off of them. The turn around was nice. It is a pretty man-made trail up a hill in a small park.

Overall, good race...minus people dodging on the course and the smell of excrement on the run!

2009-03-05 3:48 PM
in reply to: #1999869

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA
sealiongirl - 2009-03-05 2:25 PM

After that it goes through an RV campground, which stunk because you could smell some of the sewage lines coming off of them.

Which would be The Dunes ... which would be why I would never swim in the back bay, regardless of the water grade.  Really, that's my home town and I would love to do this race, just not at the expense of swimming in that soup

2009-03-05 5:20 PM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
It wasn't a brackish water smell...more of a sh** smell. It only smelled neared the RVs, which were away from the water. We were camping last summer and someone's porta-john was leaking that same smell, so unfortunately I know it!
2009-03-05 11:04 PM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

I've done this race twice, and plan to do it again this year.  Agree with the comments about the bike course being a bit cramped--it's a fairly narrow two lane road, with bikes going both directions. 

Never really had an issue with the quality or smell of the water, but the mud leaving the swim can be a bit gnarly--better when the tide is higher, I think.  It's a good course if you're a nervous open-water swimmer.  It's a rectangle around Back Bay, so pancake flat, and you're never more than 50 yards or so from shore.

The bike course is mostly rolling--mostly gradual climb on the way out and gradual descent on the way back (and twice around)  There is one steepish part of maybe a hundred yards or so coming up to the T intersection at the end of Back Bay Drive.

Jocelyn, I can't believe they were letting non-athletes into the transition area during the race--that's just wrong!

2009-03-23 10:13 AM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

I got Competitor Update #1 in email the other day, doesn't look like it's up on the event website yet:

2009 KRING AND CHUNG NEWPORT BEACH TRIATHLON
COMPETITOR UPDATE #1

The Kring & Chung Newport Beach Triathlon is right around the corner!  Whether you are a veteran athlete gearing up for the season or a newbie in the sport of triathlon, we hope you are looking forward to our event. 

Listed below are some details that you will need to know as you gear up for the event.

EVENT TIMELINE

5:30 AM -- Transition Area Opens
6:40 AM -- Transition Area Closes
6:45 AM -- First Wave Starts

Wave times will be available closer to the event.

DISTANCES

SWIM: ?? mile -- Flat-water swim in the Newport Beach Back Bay
CYCLE: 15 miles - Scenic 2 LOOP course through Back Bay Drive and Eastbluff Dr.
RUN: 3 miles -- Fast and scenic out and back course.

REGISTRATION

You're already registered, but are your friends and training buddies?! Tell them to register now at: http://www.pacificsportsllc.com/newportbeach/registra1.htm

Race Day registration is permitted, however a $30 late fee will apply and late registrants will not be eligible for VIP access.

**Please note: Entry fees are non-refundable and non-transferable from person to person, this race to another race or from year to year. There are no exceptions. **

REGISTRATION & PACKET PICK-UP

Registration & Packet Pick-up will be held Saturday, April 18th from 10:00AM-4:00PM at the Crowne Plaza Irvine.  The Crowne Plaza is located at 17941 Von Karman Irvine, CA 92614.  The Crowne Plaza is our host hotel and will be offering all Newport Beach Triathlon participants a discounted rate of $84.00 Single/Double Occupancy and $114.00 Jr. Suite/Club Floor. For directions and hotel booking information, visit http://pacificsportsllc.com/NewportBeach/travel1.htm

Race Day packet pick-up is also available for athletes that register for the VIP OPTION.  For $30, your race numbers, timing chip, swim cap, goody bag and t-shirt will be ready for pick-up on race morning. Pre-race check in on Saturday is not mandatory. Check-in on race morning is at a special VIP area. VIP participants also have reserved bike racks in the transition area and receive a $10 merchandise gift certificate. You can choose the VIP option during the online registration process.

COURSE TALKS

On Saturday, April 18th, there will be two course talks at 10:30am and 2:00pm in the Avalon Ballroom at the Crowne Plaza Irvine.

COURSE MAPS

The triathlon course has not changed from last year. Please visit: http://www.pacificsportsllc.com/newportbeach/maps.htm for full course maps, including a PDF version.

TRIATHLON CLINIC

with 2008 Olympian Julie Swail Ertel and USAT coach Beth Hibbard!
During this 2-hour clinic, you'll learn race strategy for sprint racing, fast transition area set-up, as well as practice effective transition skills. We will practice new skills and ride the Kring and Chung Triathlon Race Course. For beginner and intermediate level triathletes.
Registration is $50.00
Sign up now at: http://www.active.com/page/Event_Details.htm?event_id=1711154&assetId=6e7c184f-6337-4439-9da7-b97e95f3850e

TRAINING

Online training is available through the Newport Triathlon and ActiveTrainer at: http://training.active.com/ActiveTrainer/listing.do?listing=109. These triathlon training programs are a balance of aerobic, anaerobic and cross-training workouts. Programs are for beginners and veterans alike!

RACE DAY PARKING

Race day parking is available at the Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort (1131 Back Bay Dr., Newport Beach, CA). Overflow parking will be available at the Dunes entrance off of Bayside Dr. The Newport Dunes will charge $10 for parking.

FLUID STATIONS & POST RACE FOOD

There will be one fluid station in the transition area and one fluid station on the out-and-back run course that you will have an opportunity to hit twice.  Arrowhead water and Gatorade will be served at each station. Power Crunch bars, Arrowhead, Gatorade and fruit will be available at the post-race food area.

AWARDS & RESULTS

The awards ceremony will be held at 10:00AM near the swim start.  Preliminary results will be posted at www.PacificSportsLLC.com, Sunday April 19th. Official results with split times will be posted on Wednesday, April 22rd.

Good luck in your training and racing.

Sincerely,
Pacific Sports LLC

Email: [email protected]
Phone: (714) 978-1528

Sign up for our e-mail newsletter, Pacific Latitudes. The newsletter gives you information on all Pacific Sports events, such as the opening of online registration; new sponsor information and other information that we think you may want to know about. 
Click Here: http://www.pacificsportsllc.com/EmailUpdates.htm

2009-03-23 12:59 PM

New user
I received the same email even though I have not actually registered for the race yet.  I wonder if they are just sending this out to anyone who gave their email address from races in previous years.
2009-04-03 4:48 PM
in reply to: #2034286

User image

It's getting close. I'm feeling pretty ready, a little nervous about the swim, as it's my first open water swim. Does anyone know a place that's close to the event where I could rent a wetsuit?

2009-04-03 9:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Lakewood, CA
2009-04-04 9:02 PM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

I think it's actually www.tri-zone.com, and I'm not sure if they rent.

You might check out www.wetsuitrental.com, or Triathlon Lab up in Redondo rents tri wetsuits.

Edited by tjh 2009-04-04 9:04 PM
2009-04-10 1:45 PM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA
Looks like high tide is about 6 AM on the 19th, so it should still be fairly high when exiting the swim--makes it a lot less mucky getting out of the water.
2009-04-13 5:40 PM
in reply to: #2076639

User image

tjh - 2009-04-10 1:45 PM

Looks like high tide is about 6 AM on the 19th, so it should still be fairly high when exiting the swim--makes it a lot less mucky getting out of the water.

Awesome. Cleaner and less mucky sounds nice to me. Thanks for posting the email from the event, as I still haven't gotten one.

And thanks for the links on the wetsuit rental. I have one reserved at Triathlon lab that I"ll just pick up on the way down to Newport.
2009-04-14 4:37 PM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

Wave starts are out, in case you're still not getting the emails.  Don't think this is up on the website yet (they're still showing the 2008 starts), but got this in email today:

6:45 AM - ELITE M & F, MEN 29 AND UNDER, COLL M
6:53 AM - WOMEN 39 & U, COLL F
7:01 AM - MEN 30-34, MEN 50+
7:09 AM - MEN 35-39, MEN 45-49
7:17 AM - MEN 40-44, CLYDESDALE
7:25 AM - WOMEN 40+, ATHENAS, RELAYS

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kring and Chung Newport Beach Rss Feed