General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Brand newbie signed up to run Cleveland OH Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-11 12:20 PM

Subject: Brand newbie signed up to run Cleveland OH Sprint

Hi,

My name is Mark Nelson and I committed to running a sprint in August.  I am married to a marathon runner and we are complete opposites.(she is fit and I am fat).  I decided to start working out in February after an embarassing event happened. I was getting ready to hop in the hot tub with friends, and my 8 year old god-daughter looked at me and announced"Uncle Mark has boobies". She is not the quiet type, so everyone heard and we all had a great big laugh.(well they all did).  At 5'7, 220 lbs, I knew that I was at least 30 lbs overweight for my body type, but it took an honest little girl to make me do something about it. 

I was athletic in high school and have always been a good swimmer, but have not done distance.  So, I joined the local gym/fitness center which is amazing becauseit has everything, Olympic indoor pool, indoor track, racquetball(my favorite), weights, and many treadmills, ellipticals, and bikes.  They also have the spinning classes which I have been doing.  Wow those are a tough workout. Everything I need to train is there, so I have no excuses.  I downloaded and started the 2X 20 week training program on Monday.  So far, so good, but I need to learn to follow it and not push myself to do more.  I am so excited about this sprint, I want to work out every day, but I am following the plan.  

Any advice for a brand new wanna be would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

2009-03-11 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2011139

User image

Regular
West Chicago
Subject: RE: Brand newbie signed up to run Cleveland OH Sprint
Congrats on committing to doing a tri! Just stick to the plan and don't overdo anything. The plan will seem easy at first but the real work is coming. I thought the same thing when I first started, and like an idiot I pushed myself above the recommended training and got an overtraining injury, so just stick to the plan (ask your wife about overtraining injuries, I'm sure she has heard of them, being a marathoner)....build slow....build strong!! Good luck
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Brand newbie signed up to run Cleveland OH Sprint Rss Feed