Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-03-11 9:06 PM
in reply to: #2011864

User image

Master
North Alabama
Subject: RE: 3 feet please, it's the law

Great video, and great point he's trying to make with the work. I do have a few issues with it though, and most of the points have already been covered.

Riding when a snow plow out, probably wasn't the smartest thing in the world. Also, I didn't agree w/ him riding on the inside of the lane when he did have room on the shoulder. I'd rather be safe than dead.

Our group tries to promote riding 2-abreast unless there's a "car back". At that point, we fall into single file and pull 1-2' off the edge of pavement. A - it gives us a little more room, B - it makes them commit to passing us instead of riding with us, and C - it makes them pull further away from us when passing.

It's tough, but I see his point. I also realize that a bicycle will lose when competing with a car - EVERY TIME.

2009-03-11 9:50 PM

User image

Regular
Middletown

I ride on many roads in NJ that have only 6" or so to the right of the white line.  In that case i do ride on the inside of the white line by an inch or two.  I have always heard that you should ride on the inside of the line in that case, making the driver aware of you and to be forced to avoid you. 

If I was to ride on the inside of the white line with only 6" of asphalt until the grass, rocks, gravel or ditch, that leaves me no room to bail if need be.

Edited by chris1214 2009-03-11 9:52 PM
2009-03-12 12:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Leonard Wood, MO
Great post, Bear!  I agree with the video for the most part, but I would ride more on the shoulder if it's not too filled up with gravel and such.  As for the riding in snow with the snowplows going by and all, NO THANKS!  That's indoor trainer time for me.
2009-03-12 8:41 AM

Master
I liked the video but I definitely frowned when the snowplow thing came on. Once someone who does not cycle and only drives sees that part the guy loses his credibility. In some ways cyclists are asking for some sensibility and common sense from drivers (besides just relying on "the law" ) so cyclists should do the same and not make plow drivers jobs harder in snowy low-visibility conditions out of sensibility and common sense.

Edited by merlin2375 2009-03-12 8:42 AM
2009-03-12 10:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson

I went hunting for the AZ laws after watching that and learned something I didn't realize.  A shoulder is NOT a bike lane.  A bike lane is marked as such (wording or the diamond).  Everything else is a shoulder - many times it is marked as a 'bike route'.  In those cases where a true bike lane isn't present, a cyclist can legally ride in the lane of traffic.  Honestly, given most of the drivers in this town - I'll keep my 5' shoulder rather than battle it out with them.  There's no sense trying to explain to non-cyclists why I'm riding in the road rather than the "bike lane" that isn't.

I was out riding with the hubby and we cross an intersecting street (they have the stop sign, we don't).  He makes it by fine but I'm barely halfway across the front of the car when the idiot decides to start pulling out.  I turn my head and keep an eye on him until I"m clear.  As soon as he finishes his turn he starts honking at us.  WTF?  Seriously, we're in a single file line, there is NO traffic on either road and we're in the shoulder.  No wonder the hubby prefers mtn biking.

2009-03-12 12:44 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Some of the roads I have to ride on the wite line on the side includes some pavement and some gravel with no shoulder whatsoever.  There are a total of 2 roads with shoulders and I try to get to them in as short a route (13 miles) as I can so that I can become less of a hood ornament.  I did get a realllly bright yellow bike jersey to make me more visible for Christmas.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 3 feet please, it's the law Rss Feed  

of 2