General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lastly, I seem to be having a buoyancy problem Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-12 12:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
Subject: Lastly, I seem to be having a buoyancy problem
Lately, I have noticed that during my freestyle swims I begin with a sleek line swimming through the water, but as I fatigue(100yds), I begin sinking further into the water no longer able to keep afloat. My stroke count is very low the first 25yds. The stroke count rapidly increases with each 25yds until I have to resign to using breast stroke. Any ideas?

2004-03-12 4:06 AM
in reply to: #11989

User image

Almere - The Netherlands
Subject: RE: Lastly, I seem to be having a buoyancy problem
Which part is sinking first?
I can imagine that if you get tired, you start breathing faster and you inhale less air. less air in your lungs is less buoyancy and your upperbody will sink. So slow down just a little bit which makes you less tired.
I have the problem that my legs sink, I have low fat%. So what I do is use my arms for forward motion and use my legs to kick only to get them up and in line with my upperbody.
Well this is my thought, but as I never had any sort of freestyle swim lessons, I can not assure that mine is the good way to swim. So I wonder what others have to say.
2004-03-12 4:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boise Idaho

I have that same problem! I just find that when that is going on I just slow it up even more and exagerate my form, and do it really slow. it helps me stay afloat and i can usually pump out several more laps. also helps me to concentrate on keeping my head down and hips up. Jack.

2004-03-12 11:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
My legs are sinking. They are useless dead weight. My flutter kick is worthless. I swam in high school competitively for 3 years and never could get it down. Breaststroke, butterfly and backstroke were my strong suits. Freestyle was always my worst stroke. As a breaststoker, I always regarded flutter kicks as punishment. I think my hips begin to sag in the water after a few laps. My lap times as fast with a pull buoy as without.
2004-03-12 12:18 PM
in reply to: #12072

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis, MO
Subject: As you get tired....
you are reaching for air by lifting your head. Simply put as you lift your head, your legs sink. As your legs sink, you reach higher with your head to "get to the air" to combat the sinking feeling. SEE THE CHAIN OF EVENTS HERE?

The key is to drill focusing on keeping your head down in the water to the point that you are almost looking at your toes. Don't go so long that you tire to the point of losing your form! The distance will become easier as your efficiency increases. As you drill, remember to rotate your whole body to the air. Your navel should point to the side of the pool or above the waterline. This will give you plenty of room for a breath.

My .02 based on 9 months of TI Masters Swim,

Paul
2004-03-12 12:36 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
The simple law of pool physics - As your head goes up your legs go down. It's inevitable. Every swimmer no matter if theyr'e just starting out or are Olympians have to contend with this simple law of nature. So how do you comabt it? Well you can keep your head underwater for the whole time. Not very practical. You can continue to drag your legs like so much barnacle under a boat. Not very appetizing.The answer might not be in your legs or buoyancy. It could be in your breathing. Breathing correctly can help keep your body in balance. If you raise your head to far up to gulp air your legs will sink. So the key is to breath sideways! Catch the air pocket in the middle of your stroke and then keep on moving. When I swim my head barely comes out of the water. I try to keep the same linear form throughout my entire workout. My breath stroke barely makes a ripple because as soon as I lift my head to far my legs sink. So I reach my arm out and turn my head but my head goes forward not up! I hope this isn't too confusing. And I also hope it helps.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lastly, I seem to be having a buoyancy problem Rss Feed