General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon bike for women (with short back and long legs) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-13 1:39 PM

Subject: Triathlon bike for women (with short back and long legs)

Hi, I need some advice from you...

I'm planning to buy a triathlon bike sometime this year or next season. Now I use a racing bike, a Marvil road 7000 (I actually think it's norwgian design), which is a men's racing bike, the smalles frame size (48cm). In the fall 2007, that was actually the only racing bike available in my size (and that didn't cost more than 10 000 NOK).

I am not that tall, 160cm, and that's OK, but I have a really short back and long legs. So far I have done shorter Triathlons, but I am planning an Ironman next year and I really think I should use a bike that fits better than the one I use now, because I'll be a much longer time on the road (and then, tri-bikes are so cool...)

My bike is OK now, for shorter rides (until 3hrs). I have attached some aero bars on my bike now, which is great, because I really like the position. But the angles are not right, I can see that in the mirror, and my knees are almost touching the handlebars.

I think maybe a woman-specific triathlon bike would fit better, especially because of the steeper angle of the seatpost/tube, so my knees will get more space. But that sure depends on the geometry of the bike to use.

My question now is: Does anyone here have a women-specific triathlon bike of the smalles size? And how is the top tube, is it really shorter, that is, more women-specific? 

And do you by chance also have a very short back? How do you manage that? 

Here in Norway we don't have that many bike stores and choices, especially not for women-specific tri-bikes. So it's really difficult to try a bike before buying.

I thought of a Scott Contessa Plasma, or a Trek Equinox WSD, since those branches are available in Norway, and I cannot afford a very expensive bike (and don't need one).

Please share your experiences with me! 

Thank youKiss 

2009-03-16 11:50 AM
in reply to: #2016190

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Subject: RE: Triathlon bike for women (with short back and long legs)
Try looking for tri bikes that have 650cc wheels.  The top tube is shorter on them.
2009-03-16 5:13 PM
in reply to: #2020679

OK, I've never thought about that. I've just seen some of those bikes in a race, and thought that they look så low and small in a way.

But hey, a smaller bike would mean less air resistance, and then, I could just sneak up on the big guys from behind on my little bike, pass them by and leave them behind in a cloud of dust ;-

seriously, I think I'll look after bikes with that wheel size. It sounds logical that the top tube will be shorter in those bikes.

Thanks for the advice! 

2009-03-19 11:06 PM
in reply to: #2021478

Park City, UT
It sounds like you are asking for a bike that is short in the seat to handle bar measurement and long in the pedal to seat measurement. Both Scott and Trek fall into that category. A XS Scott with have the shortest reach (distance from the seat to the bar) and Trek is short as well but a little longer than a Scott. That said, the Trek Equinox 5 has a very similar geometry to the Scott.

The other poster was correct that you may need to go to a 650cc bike to get the sizing correct. and the Equinox 5 is a 650cc bike in the smaller sizes. Scott only has 700cc frames, at least in the US.

Edited by ryan8301 2009-03-19 11:21 PM
2009-03-21 2:28 AM

Good news that Scott and Trek's tri bikes will have short seat-handlebar measures. I am looking forward to trying one of those bikes.

I wonder if anyone of you has tried and ordered a bike via internet? I know it's not a good idea to just order a triathlon bike without ever having tried it.

But I thought during the race season I could have a look at all the bikes around and see if one of them actually fits, and then find it in a store.

You see, in Norway there are not that many bike store, so I'll have to order a bike anyway.

It seems that Evans Cycles in the U.K. has a variety of good bikes, and sale, too.

Anyone with experience in shipping bikes? Is that OK?

2009-03-26 7:44 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
I have the same issue.  I could not get comfortable in aero on bikes because I had to reach too far.  I wound up getting a bike fit before buying anything and they gave me 3 bikes to choose from - I got a Blue T16.  Certainly an option is to go custom (Serrotta or Guru definitely does this), but I'm not sure if they're available where you are!  Can you get a fit first?

2009-03-26 2:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver area
I'm 5'4" with a 31" inseam..... Ended up getting fitted with a 2008 54 cm Cervelo P2SL.  This is my first tri bike but I don't have any issues feeling comfortable in aero. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon bike for women (with short back and long legs) Rss Feed