General Discussion Triathlon Talk » road bike handlebar position Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-27 9:10 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Subject: road bike handlebar position
I've read and had my trusted LBS guy tell me that 80% of my riding time will be spend with my hands on the brake hoods. I've had the bike only 2 days but so far that is just not a comfortable place for me to be, I much perfer riding on the drops. Spent nearly an hour on the bike yesterday and would go to the tops to get a drink, but for the most part I'm just a ton more comfortable on the drops. I suspect it's because that's where I spent all my time on my road bike as a kid.

Now, somebody please tell me why that's wrong. I'm also more comfortable pedaling at 60rpm and I've learned not to do that, too. Definitely not above unlearing bad behaviour, this one just came as a big surprise to me since being on the drops seems more natural.

2005-03-27 10:25 AM
in reply to: #134530

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: road bike handlebar position

Don't see anything WRONG with riding in the drops, it's just unusual that you would be most comfortable there. I find it to be the least tolerable position, so I am one of those 80%-on-the-hoods riders. On the hoods, or on the tops of the handlebars is more upright, more natural, thus usually more comfortable.

In the drops, however, is more aerodynamic, so if you're comfortable there so be it. The only problem I could see is attempting to climb in that position as it restricts your breathing to a certain degree.

Since you've only had your bike two days, give it some time, play around with the different positions.

2005-03-27 11:13 AM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
I am not sure about this either but I was on the drops at first as well and my coach yelled at me, to stay on the top bar...drops only for the descents. I haven't found my preferred position yet either....I mostly ride on top, shift to the "horns" to brake/shift, and back....I know I have to be on top to go uphill, can't generate the power and occassionally you need to get up out of the saddle (at least I do ;-)
2005-03-27 1:26 PM
in reply to: #134541

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
the bear - 2005-03-27 10:25 AM

In the drops, however, is more aerodynamic, so if you're comfortable there so be it. The only problem I could see is attempting to climb in that position as it restricts your breathing to a certain degree.

Since you've only had your bike two days, give it some time, play around with the different positions.

Ahhh. Well, there aren't any hills here, so wouldn't know about that.
Thanks for the input. Of course on longer rides the drops may prove to be less comfortable, looking forward to finding out. It's nice to feel fast (even if I'm not, actually).
2005-03-27 2:23 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

I'm more comfortable in the drops too.  I've noticed though, that I have a lot less control of the bike in that position.  It's not an issue when I'm out by myself, but in group rides I stay on the hoods (except when they drop me and I'm trying to catch them LOL!)  I  don't climb much in the drops either. 

Which part of you isn't comfortable on the hoods...back?  Neck?  etc.  Might not be a bad idea to double check your bike fit if something actually hurts. 

If your bike fit is ok, I think time and practice will make you comfortable in both positions

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » road bike handlebar position Rss Feed