General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice needed from veterans for a first-timer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-03-28 1:10 AM

Subject: Advice needed from veterans for a first-timer
Hi, today I begin training for the Olympic Course of the Lifetime Fitness Tri in Minneapolis in July. I'm a runner, albeit a slower one, and I've done a marathon a few years back and have maintained a good base ever since (25-30mi/wk). I've just begun swimming, and I just purchased a good starter road bike with all the bells and whistles. My question is this: is the olympic course feasible at this point? Or better yet, how difficult is training for an olympic triathlon versus a marathon? If I were training for a marathon, I know I could train very quickly, if I had to. My swimming is up to 1000 yards - it takes about 45 min doing 50 yds at a time. Will I break through a wall in the pool, eventually? Also, I'm hoping the biking portion shouldn't be too difficult to pick up based on my running background (strong lungs and legs). Is that a really bad assumption? I've been on the stationery a few times so far, and have done well on more difficult levels. My greatest asset at this point is my determination. I'm sure most of you may suggest the sprint, but I prefer the challenge - if it's possible. Also, my finishing time doesn't concern me. I appreciate your feedback.

Shaun

2005-03-28 8:12 AM
in reply to: #134693

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Advice needed from veterans for a first-timer
I'm far from a veteran (2nd season in the sport), but you should not have any problem doing Oly distance in July. Read about swimming, or better yet, get someone to critique your stroke. Come up with some swim workouts you like and the speed/endurance will come. Get on the bike and ride, ride, ride. You'll do fine. Have fun!
2005-03-28 9:00 AM

User image

Schenectady, NY
Regarding the swim... have hope and persevere - you will break through! First off, I am not a veteran, but I can relate to your swimming struggles. I started swimming back in November, and like you, could only go 50 yards before needing a break. But in 3+ months, swimming 2-3x per week, I now can swim the Olympic distance without stopping. I am not setting any speed records, but I am confident that I'll be able to complete my Olympic tri in June. So, with your aerobic base from running, you should be ready to swim your tri in July. Good luck and let us know how you do!
2005-03-28 10:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country
Sure, I think you can do it. Be sure to get a lot of bike time in, though. I haven't seen that running legs translate as well as one would like to the bike (though the lungs will!), but it does seem to help the other way around (bike->run). Plus you'll need to condition your backside to the mileage.

Still, an Oly distance bike isn't all that far (by itself) to ride a road bike, so I think you'll find yourself hitting the distance pretty quickly.

I'll suggest that you look for a sprint tri maybe 6 weeks or so before the "big race" as a shakedown, to help you get used to the transitions and such.

Oh, and if you haven't already, GET THE BIKE FITTED TO YOU! It'll make a world of difference. A poorly fit bike is like running in dress shoes.

But what do I know? I haven't actually done my first yet either!
2005-03-28 12:00 PM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY

Welcome!

With your running background you have the overall fitness already.  I've run marathons, and I've done many Olympic distance triathlons.  Triathlons are easier to train for, and the recovery after an Olympic distance tri is much faster then a marathon.  I've raced Olympic triathlons on back to back weekends.  The weekend after a marathon, I'd be lucky if I was running 5 miles at an easy pace.

As far as swimming goes, I'd encourage you to work with a coach, or sign up for a swim workshop such as Total Immersion.  Swimming is a very technique driven sport, having someone work with you on your form will help you be more efficient in the water.  Don't worry about speed.  Work on form and endurance.

Runing does help the biking somewhat, but you're using different leg muscles so it doesn't all transfer over from the one sport to the other.  Someone did mention bike fit already, but I will repeat it.  Being comfortable on the bike is VERY important.  If you're not comfortable you will not be efficient on the bike.  If you're not efficient on the bike, you will have not have much left for the run.

The challenge of triathlon comes from putting the 3 sports together in such a way that one doesn't wipe you out for the next.  Having a smooth stroke, and being efficient in the water is going to give you more energy for the bike ride.  If you have more energy for the bike, and are comfortable on the bike, that's going to leave you in better shape for the run.  Being that you come from a running background, you will go into that last leg with your "strong" event left.

After you've gotten some more mileage in your bike legs make sure you do some "bricks". This is where you do a ride, and immediately switch shoes, and go into a run.  You'll be surprsied the first time you do it, how dead your legs feel when you first start running.  Those first bricks don't have to be all that long. 10- 15 mile bike, and a 2 mile run.  Later on you can go for a longer brick, but it's not even absolutely necessary to do the full distance in a brick.

Use this site to its fullest.  There are a lot of very good articles and training plans.  Also continue to pick the brains of your fellow BT'ers.  I'm a hard core veteran who can offer a lot of advice from my 20 plus years in the sport, but the guy or gal who did their first triathlon last season, or even last month can also give you a very fresh look, on what it's like to prepare for that first race.  The relative newbie is going to remember a lot more about prepping for his/her first race then I'm going to remember about my first race in 1983. 

I will admit, I still have my training and racing journals from 22 years ago,  and some of the entries in these journals are pretty funny, and an interesting take on how the sport has changed in 22 years.

Edited by NYtrigal 2005-03-28 12:03 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice needed from veterans for a first-timer Rss Feed